F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AP Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:01 PM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
Default AP Tuning Question

Guys I have read through the entire Ap thread and this question wasn't answered. So I am getting my tune back on Wednesday and I asked for the R SVR Project 7 & custom tune. My question and this is for V8S owners how did the SVR tune work for the car. What were the pros and cons and did everyone who did the tune loose the pops and crackles. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys

Old 12-06-2016, 02:54 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Well as you know I did loose the stock pops and crackles. VAP is working on my tune to see if he can still yield identical performance gains while maintaining the factory pops and crackles. I am just waiting to hear back from them. Other than the lack of pops and crackles the rest of the tune is great, for me the biggest noticeable difference is the instant feedback when stepping on the accelerator. This goes a long way to making the car feel more light, nimble, and responsive. The car now response like I expect (I came to this car from a 6MT, so I am use to expecting manual-like responsiveness. This tune makes leaving my 6MT behind less painful.) One thing I have been contemplating is what is the overall hit to gas mileage & performance due to engine timing needed to produce the pop and crackles? I definitely get better mileage on the tune, but that is likely because the tune overall maximizes engine efficiency to produce the power gains.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:30 AM

When you went back to the OEM file your cracks and pops all came back right. I think I read that on the other thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which would mean that the cracks and pops behaviour is somewhere programmed in the ECU?

Old 12-07-2016, 04:02 AM

Yes when returning back to stock the crackles and pops returned immediately. I believe it is related to the engine timing. Since the crackles and pops do not naturally occurr in the engine, the engine timing is programmed in a way to toss in extra fuel at programmed times (essentially creating a controlled misfire) which results in those crackles and pops we all love. Well at least most of us. I assume the tune altered the engine timing to produce more power, which consequently likely results in changing the behaviors of the controlled misfires. In the case of the tune, reducing them.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:30 AM

Yeah I emailed Stu about my concern hopefully he can try to and fix it where the pops remain. Thanks for all the inputs guys

Old 12-07-2016, 08:16 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Agreed, I went in on the Black Friday deal but won't want it if it means losing pops and crackles.

I lived through that for 6 months this year until Jaguar rectified it. Didn't like it at all.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by ek993
Agreed, I went in on the Black Friday deal but won't want it if it means losing pops and crackles.

I lived through that for 6 months this year until Jaguar rectified it. Didn't like it at all.
i agree kind of takes away from the character of the car.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

As I've said before; I really enjoy the exhaust note of my V8S under power but could take or leave the "controlled misfire" on decel......I just want my Project 7 575hp level and I'll live with any effect on the popping and cracking. Yes, I realize I'm in the minority. :-)

Dave

Old 12-13-2016, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I just installed the my new SVR tune and crap it's fast, and I haven't even had the pulley installed. Very impressive tune, I took it out for a 100 mile drive at midnight. It pulls much harder form 2500 redline, before 5500 and it felt winded.

No issues with the exhaust sound other than its noticeably louder under acceleration. The popping and crackling is still there even sharper than before.

The following users liked this post:
mlebofsky (12-11-2019)
Old 12-13-2016, 02:22 AM

What I have found out is that my R stock has more pops and crackles than normal. After the O2 TSB update, my car gained some impressive pops and crackles that did not exist when I first bought the car. The VAP tune, I believe, basically returned my car to the initial pops and crackles I had when I first received my car, which is why I felt there was a decrease. After the O2 update the pops/crackles became a lot more aggressive and it appears VAP was able to restore the tune with my post O2 update pop/crackles.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

So far so good here as well, the car is running great and I'm about to have the pulley installed.

Thanks for great tune Stuart! Now I'm back in a proper SVR and very happy with the results.

Thank you to everyone here that helped as well, if I can ever help anyone feel free to ask.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:24 AM

I am running the svr tune as well. On the actual custom vap tune i couldn't put the power down. It would consistently just have a ton wheel spin even in third gear. It didnt help that it was 30 degrees but still. Once I reverted back to the svr tune was much better at laying the power down. Mine is a 15 rwd so that also makes it difficult lol

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (12-15-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

I have some dyno numbers coming this week, but the initial test last week of stock vs tune with no pulley looked very promising.