F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Appreciating Value for F-Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 11:50 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

SVR 575 Agreed, but a nice color and a stick. definitely on the rare and desirable side..

Bought my 2014 V8S vert in early March of 2020 just as we all started to realize CV19 wasn't another strain of flu. Expected bad things for the car hobby in general and the F-type in particular, but much to my surprise it has gone up around $5k from my time of purchase. Who knows what happens in the future, as the affects of the pandemic settle out. If inflation continues, I think the rarer early models will continue to slowly climb. Hard to find anything anywhere near as interesting for the money....

As for the electronics, think someone will figure out a solid state alternative for the HD should it prove to be an issue. That is, assuming it's the same set up in the higher volume Jags and LRs!

Old 06-07-2021, 08:09 AM
Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowpass
SVR 575 Agreed, but a nice color and a stick. definitely on the rare and desirable side..

Bought my 2014 V8S vert in early March of 2020 just as we all started to realize CV19 wasn't another strain of flu. Expected bad things for the car hobby in general and the F-type in particular, but much to my surprise it has gone up around $5k from my time of purchase. Who knows what happens in the future, as the affects of the pandemic settle out. If inflation continues, I think the rarer early models will continue to slowly climb. Hard to find anything anywhere near as interesting for the money....

As for the electronics, think someone will figure out a solid state alternative for the HD should it prove to be an issue. That is, assuming it's the same set up in the higher volume Jags and LRs!
When I bought my SVR I knew the build numbers were not large, but it wasn't until I actually took ownership and started participating in this forum that I found out how low the build numbers actually are. IMHO I think some of the more desirable F-Types will increase in value over the next ten years, you're the perfect example with the 5K bump over the past 14 months.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:57 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting and you are probably right. The history of most classic cars by todays standards are that V6's, V8's, and V12's are the way to go. So yes the V8's will go up in value much more than even a better car with a smaller model motor. I have a inline 6 Jaguar and it will never bring the price that the V8 version will bring even though the condition and milage on it, is much better and lower than most V8's out there. 80% buyers will always put power over quality and condition. Popularity counts for more than quality and or rareness. When someone is looking for a V8, they immediately are most likely going to ignore anything else, except what they are looking for, and won't even get a chance to see the opportunity of trading the V8 motor for a much better condition car.
Most people want what others have or want, and if the V8 is the most popular model then that car of course will bring the most money. And It also has got nothing to do with being able to use the speed and performance it is capable of, it has mostly and everything to do with popularity. Emotions, memorabilia, popularity and ego's run higher than practicality.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:22 AM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Ze

Originally Posted by SVR 575
2016 3.0L S coupe just sold for $51K, IMO that's pretty good coin for a five year old unit.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...uar-f-type-25/
Agreed, looks like 2050 got her early. I paid exactly the same money for fully optioned (I hav glass roof instead of carbon) type r in immaculate condition, great color combination, less than 14k miles and of, tint and numerous extras. Keep in mind, I paid that in April of 2019. Your example is one of many I’ve seen over the past year or so that had me considering selling. Normally I would sell and just find something else, but there is nothing else I like better, the newer f type front end doesn’t do it for me and anything I would buy would also be at a premium price, I have other stuff to drive but one may be sold soon to seize the car bubble.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

Not to say it can't happen but I would bet that most significantly appreciated cars were those "lost" in barns for several decades, the true "one-offs", or those owned by famous (dead) people.
Couple that with maintenance and storage costs for cars barely or never driven, and it looks like a losing value proposition.
Of course that does not take into account the pure pleasure some owners might get from just gazing upon and polishing their cars.
But, in my opinion, modern cars even like the F-Type, that are mass- or relatively mass-produced, may see spikes in price, as now, but that is unlikely to continue into the future.
The big question is what will happen in 20-plus years when gasoline engines are banned and gasoline is hard to come by.
Will that make them precious antiques or scrap metal?
My plan is simply to drive the heck out of the car and sell it just before the five year warranty expires.

Last edited by CJSJAG; 07-25-2021 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-25-2021, 09:18 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Right now they should be showing an increase simply because the entire used market has jumped. Mine shows about 12k more than I paid I think when I checked a week or two ago. Not selling so it is pointless for me.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:29 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
The big question is what will happen in 20-plus years when gasoline engines are banned and gasoline is hard to come by.
This side of the pond I reckon it'll be at least 30+ years given the number of elderly non-electric cars that are in daily use, by which time I and my F-Type will be dead and buried .... Mmm, I'll need a big plot, won't I?

Old 07-25-2021, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

Well, at 75 years, I guess it won't be my problem either!!

Old 07-25-2021, 11:33 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Well, at 75 years, I guess it won't be my problem either!!
Thank you, you've made me feel (just a bit) younger!