Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Asked a dealer to match a price....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Chances are, you will survive when your engine blows up after getting tuned to 1000+HP and at that point you will need another F-type to start over.
Nope..not a new car, but a properly built engine and transmission. Already have plans for the V8/Tremec conversion after the warranty is up.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:43 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

So I inquired at Hornburg Jag as there advertised deals are pretty attractive.

I spoke with an Internet advisor and she said that I most own property in CA in order to buy a car from them. I informed her that their are no Jaguar dealers in my state and the closet one I am aware of is about a 9hr drive. She said she would have the manager call.

Manager called and started the conversation with, I am very sorry but we can't sell out of state. After I told him my location and proximity to dealerships he said that he would do some checking and call back. Calls back later in the day and said he has to speak to the GM of the dealership and will get back to me in a few days....

Old 05-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 084runnerltd

I spoke with an Internet advisor and she said that I most own property in CA in order to buy a car from them. I informed her that their are no Jaguar dealers in my state and the closet one I am aware of is about a 9hr drive. She said she would have the manager call.

Manager called and started the conversation with, I am very sorry but we can't sell out of state. After I told him my location and proximity to dealerships he said that he would do some checking and call back. Calls back later in the day and said he has to speak to the GM of the dealership and will get back to me in a few days....
Unfortunately this is the case with most JLR dealers. If they sell a car outside of their "zone", (for lack of better terms) they may not receive their incentives from JLR corporate. Those incentives which they could use to discount the car and offset some of the losses.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Unbelievable... but California has some stupid rules. Hope they will be able to help you.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:58 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

those rules apply here in Jersey too. My dealership was explaining White said when I was buying my car. Fortunately I bought from a dealership in my state so rule didn't apply to me. Good Luck and hope they can assist you since you reside truly outside of any jurisdiction.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

I live 3 miles from Hornburg and bought my car in Denver because I didn't want to do deal with them.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:44 PM

[QUOTE=WhiteTardis;1455754]Unfortunately this is the case with most JLR dealers. If they sell a car outside of their "zone", (for lack of better terms) they may not receive their incentives from JLR corporate. Those incentives which they could use to discount the car and offset some of the losses.[/QUOTE

I am guessing it's Jaguar "non-compete" rule to prevent the largest dealers from creating a monopoly. (That doesn't happen with any other car brand, so you wouldn't think it would be an issue.)

5 of my last 5 car purchases have been out of state, CA being one of them.

You would hope somebody would use some common sense....I would understand it IF there was a dealer near me...

Old 05-05-2016, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by LynxFX
I live 3 miles from Hornburg and bought my car in Denver because I didn't want to do deal with them.
Uh oh, why do you say that?? I have to say, I was impressed with the manager I spoke to....

Old 05-05-2016, 07:58 PM

Uh oh, why do you say that?? I have to say, I was impressed with the manager I spoke to....
Wouldn't budge on MSRP for the R. Went out of state and got 6% off and a killer road trip out of it. This was a couple months after the R came out.

I do use them for service which so far has been adequate. They gave me an extremely dirty (inside and out) camaro as a loaner vehicle while they held my car for 4 days trying to figure out an airbag issue. But when in for the yearly service I got a nice Audi and service was quick.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Wouldn't budge on MSRP for the R. Went out of state and got 6% off and a killer road trip out of it. This was a couple months after the R came out.

I do use them for service which so far has been adequate. They gave me an extremely dirty (inside and out) camaro as a loaner vehicle while they held my car for 4 days trying to figure out an airbag issue. But when in for the yearly service I got a nice Audi and service was quick.
You should be thankful they gave you a loaner car. Most dealers only give loaners to people that purchased their car @ from them. They are under NO obligation to provide you with a car.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
You should be thankful they gave you a loaner car. Most dealers only give loaners to people that purchased their car @ from them. They are under NO obligation to provide you with a car.
And I'm under no obligation to go to them for service. Dealerships make the most of their money through service so it benefits them to take any car. I would drop Jaguar as a brand in a heartbeat if they didn't provide a loaner when taking it in for service or warranty work. When you spend over a $100k, you expect them to match the service of at least the local KIA dealership.

That said, Hornburg didn't hesitate for a moment to provide me with a loaner.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

And I'm under no obligation to go to them for service. Dealerships make the most of their money through service so it benefits them to take any car. I would drop Jaguar as a brand in a heartbeat if they didn't provide a loaner when taking it in for service or warranty work. When you spend over a $100k, you expect them to match the service of at least the local KIA dealership.

Absolutely true. I've always gotten free loaners from service departments even when I didn't purchase a car from that dealership. We bought our current Mercedes at a far-away dealer, but have it serviced close to home. We always get a new MY MB as a loaner.

Recently I thanked the service manager for that and commented, "you sure treat us well, even though we didn't buy the car here." His response was with a big smile on his face, "that's the sales department's problem not mine, and I want to make sure you come back here every time you need service, so I can make my revenue targets."

Old 05-05-2016, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Absolutely true. I've always gotten free loaners from service departments even when I didn't purchase a car from that dealership. We bought our current Mercedes at a far-away dealer, but have it serviced close to home. We always get a new MY MB as a loaner.

Recently I thanked the service manager for that and commented, "you sure treat us well, even though we didn't buy the car here." His response was with a big smile on his face, "that's the sales department's problem not mine, and I want to make sure you come back here every time you need service, so I can make my revenue targets."
I had a similar experience. When I unsuccessfully tried to get the dealer located closest to me to do a price match on a new car I was buying the manager told me he wouldn't match the price but invited me to come to them as closest dealer to do my service including warranty work and specifically said they "of course" would provide loaners if I did.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:08 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Years ago I took my new Jaguar to Hornburg for warranty service. They were always great, and provided a loaner car. I remember one was a stinky Volvo, it must have belonged to a smoker at one time. The other was an X type, the car was such a piece of crap, I couldn't believe Jaguar actually sold them. Hornburg service for me was always good.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Back when exchange rate was favorable to Canadian dollar, it was popular to go across the border to buy cars. To get around 'local area sales only' rule you'd rent a room for a month anywhere in the state and that would allow dealer to sell the car to you.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
Back when exchange rate was favorable to Canadian dollar, it was popular to go across the border to buy cars. To get around 'local area sales only' rule you'd rent a room for a month anywhere in the state and that would allow dealer to sell the car to you.
Lol, based on how good the deal is that might not be a half bad idea. Rent the cheapest most ghetto place in CA, yet never set foot in the rental. Lol

I like the way you Canadiens think!

Old 05-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Yep, makes for fun area code analysis for car sales. Buffalo ghettos, which is big border crossing close to Toronto, were doing brisk sales of upscale cars back when CAD$ was on parity with US$. Dealers would even have a person that would arrange rental agreements and so on, so you just call and give you CC number. Back then you could easily save $30K when purchasing new 911 when compared to Canadian sale. Funny, now that CAD$ tanked it is profitable to bring all these cars back to US. So they are in-demand on used market.

Last edited by SinF; 05-06-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm at the Dealer right now getting an Oil change on the Range Rover Sport. This Coupe is asking $599 pm. + all the other fees of course.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
Years ago I took my new Jaguar to Hornburg for warranty service. They were always great, and provided a loaner car. I remember one was a stinky Volvo, it must have belonged to a smoker at one time. The other was an X type, the car was such a piece of crap, I couldn't believe Jaguar actually sold them. Hornburg service for me was always good.
In the last 4 years I've bought three new Range Rover Sports and an F-Type at their Newport Beach Store. Always stellar sales and service.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll start this off by saying I love my '16 R Coupe, but I'm at a crossroads with what my next car may be. Can't decide if I'll order a new S Coupe when the day comes, or if I'll go to a 911.

My R has the carbon ceramic brakes and suede interior and stickered at $122k (I got it at right around $99k). I picked it up 3 months ago and my lease deal is for 39 months with 12k miles/year, $5k down (including first month's payment) and I pay $826/mo (would have been about $775 if I didn't add the wheel/exterior protection package). Supposedly, I was given an employee deal but if that's the case, I feel bad for anyone that paid anything near full sticker.

I test drove a 2017 911 Cabriolet last weekend. Stickered at $122k (coincidental haha) but when we talked numbers out of curiosity, they said my R was only worth $80k!! I'm betting a Jag dealership wouldn't give more than $85k. That's a nearly $45k hit in depreciation already. Essentially, I'm "stuck" in this car until the lease is up....unless I decide I'm okay with taking a nearly $20k bath on it.

The discounts are great when you're buying, but they're horrendous on the tail end when it's time to move to the next car....

Quick Reply: Asked a dealer to match a price....