F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Aston really the Lexus of Jaguar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 06:34 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Is Aston really the Lexus of Jaguar?

Seems like they have an un-statated, premium brand affiliation with Jag. The design language always seemed too similar to the F-Type via Calum. If so, keeping it less obvious is the smarter way to do it.

The reason I ask is Aston coincidentally set the same April 20 production reevalution date as Jaguar, but are now reportedly declaring bankruptcy.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-11-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
Seems like they have an un-statated, premium brand affiliation with Jag. The design language always seemed too similar to the F-Type via Calum. If so, keeping it less obvious is the smarter way to do it.

The reason I ask is Aston coincidentally set the same April 20 production reevalution date as Jaguar, but are now reportedly declaring bankruptcy.
Well Astons are less beautiful (except for the Callum designs), ergonomically nightmarish, less reliable, twice as expensive to purchase and to service...so you can make your own judgement as to the Lexus reference.

This is going to be a disaster year not only for relatively small manufacturers of automobiles. It is going to be a nightmare for virtually all businesses.
The best thing we dan all do is to shorten the duration of this pandemic by observing isolation rules, proper hygiene and common sense. And we can spend more time in the garage just looking at these beautiful Jaguars.

The following users liked this post:
scm (04-12-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 09:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sov211
Well Astons are less beautiful (except for the Callum designs), ergonomically nightmarish, less reliable, twice as expensive to purchase and to service...so you can make your own judgement as to the Lexus reference.

This is going to be a disaster year not only for relatively small manufacturers of automobiles. It is going to be a nightmare for virtually all businesses.
The best thing we dan all do is to shorten the duration of this pandemic by observing isolation rules, proper hygiene and common sense. And we can spend more time in the garage just looking at these beautiful Jaguars.
We are going to have to chose between freedom and security. We never gave a hoot about 700,000 annual global deaths from the cold and flu, so I don't understand this new all-important virtue signaling religion. I am not in the majority, but the minority is growing tired of the lack of human spirit and disrespect for our ancestors who endured thousands of times worse to give us wealth and prosperity and the resulting freedom. And the total lack of appreciation for the law of unintended consquences is shocking. Thursday, Trump's Dr. Doom suggested a timeframe of another 18 months might be appropriate. Sheeeze. Is this really happening?

Back on topic, as the end of Aston foreshadows, I think we agree that no mainstream automobile manufacturer can survive near zero demand, which is now assured for too long.

Jag has to be on the ragged edge too, since they weren't all that far from the edge beforehand and probably have similar if not the same prefered stock and bond holders as RIP Aston Martin.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-11-2020 at 09:44 PM.
TexasTraveler (04-14-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 09:58 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Two marques going absolutely nowhere. Aston ran out of steam after the DB-9, and Jaguar has been limping along since the demise of the XK8. Sergio Marchionne who was the sharpest knife in the drawer said you needed 6 M unit sales to be a successful automobile manufacturer. Now that may not completely apply to niche builders like Jaguar, but the concept holds true. You have to build something interesting enough for people to buy and neither Jaguar or AM does that. I persist in believing that there is a place for low volume manufacturers like Ferrari at 7,000 units a year or Jaguar at 300,000 units, but you have to put out something special that will bring the customers in the door. Doing boring versions of the XF, and antique versions of the XJ is the path to extinction, and don't get me started on the incomprehensible development and marketing of the F-Type. These people simply do not have the skills to survive.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suaro
Two marques going absolutely nowhere. Aston ran out of steam after the DB-9, and Jaguar has been limping along since the demise of the XK8. Sergio Marchionne who was the sharpest knife in the drawer said you needed 6 M unit sales to be a successful automobile manufacturer. Now that may not completely apply to niche builders like Jaguar, but the concept holds true. You have to build something interesting enough for people to buy and neither Jaguar or AM does that. I persist in believing that there is a place for low volume manufacturers like Ferrari at 7,000 units a year or Jaguar at 300,000 units, but you have to put out something special that will bring the customers in the door. Doing boring versions of the XF, and antique versions of the XJ is the path to extinction, and don't get me started on the incomprehensible development and marketing of the F-Type. These people simply do not have the skills to survive.
Couldn't agree more. Especially on the wandering lack of development purpose of the 21 F-Type. The robot front end bulldozing the ties to the past, the neutering of the legengary exhaust while most brands strive to match the F's volume, sans character. It was inexcusable and now a moot point.

So we have Aston Martin gone.
Jaguar to follow.
McLaren is caught over extended.
Ferrari toast from -42% GDP, this quarter.
Lamborghini toast for the same.
Masarati had nothing going into the buzzsaw.
Nissan was battling -95% revenue in 2019.
GM and GMAC had already failed from junk status.
Ford is talking bankruptcy soon to preserve assets.
Dodge was already in restructing which is doomed.
Tesla's been rated junk for 2 years plus $1 gasoline to fight. They die early.

Who else goes?

Last edited by RacerX; 04-11-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:41 AM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Couldn't agree more. Especially on the wandering lack of development purpose of the 21 F-Type. The robot front end bulldozing the ties to the past, the neutering of the legengary exhaust while most brands strive to match the F's volume, sans character. It was inexcusable and now a moot point.

Jaguar to follow.

Who else goes?
Guess we'll have to go back to riding horses!

Old 04-12-2020, 12:33 PM
Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Riding horses makes us easy targets for looters...

camstang6907 (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 12:34 PM

Jaguar to follow.

Who else goes?
This list makes me sad. Now I'm going to have to buy more cars and build bigger barns to store them.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pcar2Jag
This list makes me sad. Now I'm going to have to buy more cars and build bigger barns to store them.
To call this a buyers market is the understatement of the (insert any time period here). The critical key is to wait 2-3 years for things to fully bottom and stabilize. There's no rush, don't confuse the dead cat bounce in late-Spring/early-summer for anything but that. Next week starts earnings season which is going to be eyewatering and the corresponding stock markets' Disney Tower of Terror series of free falls will finally wake the administration up. But a dead cat only bounces once. The govt's policy damage has only begun.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-12-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:06 PM

I read that gaslighting will be a thing soon, but I don't believe it. I understand that major companies will try to influence the public confidence to start spending money, but I don't see how it's going to happen. At least it won't happen any time soon. I agree with you about waiting and seeing the market slide further before it stabilizes. I suppose some of us will be able to hone our negotiation skills in the current and near-future economy.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pcar2Jag
I read that gaslighting will be a thing soon, but I don't believe it. I understand that major companies will try to influence the public confidence to start spending money, but I don't see how it's going to happen. At least it won't happen any time soon. I agree with you about waiting and seeing the market slide further before it stabilizes. I suppose some of us will be able to hone our negotiation skills in the current and near-future economy.
There is little doubt that public utilties are largely unfunded so gas lighting is going to be guaranteed accessable. Property tax revenue is cratering from 10M reported (<--key word) newly unemployed in just the past three weeks.

There are only 140M tax returns and the vast majority pay no tax - even the standard deducion is 50K, avg salary is 42K. But we entered this everything-bubble with a record 61% labor participation rate. In the 1930s they used labor participation, not new claims (U3) as their official unemployment metric bcs that obviously makes more sense, and it peaked at 24%, or a worst case labor participation rate of 76%. The obvious problem using U3, or new claims as the official UE rate is that at 100% UE your officual rate drops to 0% UE. Its a typical case of economically isolated bureaucrats' juicing their Power Point slides and cratering the country. So we already have much more UE than the 1930s' peak.

So yeah gas lighting would make sense in case a govt mandate to keep utilities open without sufficient revenue ultimately fails.

Unfortunately there is bigger elephant in the room that is threatening a worst case scenario IMO: will more expensive (=USA) oil producers voluntarily commit corporate suicide to dramatically curb global production in the face of overflowing global storage? Storage fills in 2 to 6 weeks depending on the reporting source.

My answer is, obviously no. The industry's answer is, of course they will. But why? The correct answer for any global producer in the face of plummeting oil prices, is to ramp up, not down, production to help cash flow. They have no mandate to jump off a bridge to fix catastrophic political policies, especially across national sovereignties.

So IMO the oil storage fill-stop is ultimately met with increased oil production. The implications are unknown.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-12-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Racer X we don't need your political bs on this site, save it for Fox News where all your made up **** comes from.Oh I forgot your President ratings gets his facts there also.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bjg625
Racer X we don't need your political bs on this site, save it for Fox News where all your made up **** comes from.Oh I forgot your President ratings gets his facts there also.
Hows does this purely political rant relate to Jaguar possibly following Astons bankruptcy?

But while youre politicing, I'm the only one whos been intensely critical of Trump plunging the global economy into ruin with this absurd shutdown and $6 trillion (so far) banker heist.

​​​​​Try again.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-13-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

bjg625,
Anytime you'd like to debate your nonsense on the off topic forum, I'll be happy to engage you. I'm sure you'd have been much more comfortable with Uncle Joe steering the ship in this storm, right? You'll have that chance in November. He just exudes confidence if he can figure out which day it is or where he is. Who made you the editor of post content?

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
Kodiak (04-17-2020), TexasTraveler (04-14-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tberg
bjg625,
Anytime you'd like to debate your nonsense on the off topic forum, I'll be happy to engage you. I'm sure you'd have been much more comfortable with Uncle Joe steering the ship in this storm, right? You'll have that chance in November. He just exudes confidence if he can figure out which day it is or where he is. Who made you the editor of post content?
You are off topic.

Old 04-13-2020, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

You mean the orange pumkin who can't stand it that the governor of NY is actually what a leader looks like? Of course the pumkin will glady claim the ratings win.

Old 04-13-2020, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Did you mean pumpkin?

Old 04-13-2020, 03:20 PM
Banned

The US Federal Reserve just warned to brace for an 18 month economic shutdown.

All automakers are done, minus whatever "winners" are choosen to be nationalized, if this madness keeps up. It also reinforces my view that the shutdown is a Fed tool to fight deflation and not primarily driven by virus concerns.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mar...8-E6606EABF547

Old 04-13-2020, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I gotta admit, discussing the merits of the LC500 vs an F-Type was getting to be the most boring thread on this forum (btw, there's nothing really to discuss), but seeing the direction this thread has now taken is discouraging. C'mon guys, take it to a political forum.

EDIT: had just migrated over from that thread.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-13-2020 at 05:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
scm (04-13-2020), xdave (04-14-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 04:14 PM
Banned

Jag released some corona news and incentives to help alleviate "flagging sales"...
  • Unlike Aston, Jag intends to stick to the April 20 date
  • Some low cost factories in India, Brazil, and China remain open; UK production is closed
  • All existing leases may be automatically extended by up to 6 months
  • 0% financing for 72 months is available to very well qualified customers who finance through Jaguar financial, with up to a 90 day deferal of first payment on new car purchases through May 31
  • Qualifying returning leasors who choose to lease another car through JLR's captive lender can get up to two payments of $750 postponed, if the lease payment is more than $750 then $750 is subtracted.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-13-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Pcar2Jag (04-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Is Aston really the Lexus of Jaguar?