F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Aston really the Lexus of Jaguar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Edit - referring to F Type v Lexus LC500 - Actually that was a different thread, but yeah back to the OP, I dont really think that there are many parallels between Lexus/Toyota and Aston/Jaguar. Lexus is a Toyota sub brand and a lot of Toyota bits end up in the Lexus. Aston and Jaguar were once both owned by Ford and they shared some bits and a designer. There was a lot of ancient volvo (also owned by Ford at the time) tech in the Astons and from memory both aston and jag used some volvo parts. Of course now Aston use vintage Benz tech instead of ancient volvo tech, Jag doesn't use any Benz tech that I am aware of. And then the 4.2 that Jag used up until 2009 or so was used in part to derive the v8 Vantage 4.3 and then a 4.7 (best sounding engine I've heard).

So I suppose that are some similarities but is is a lot more incestuous as Ford concurrently owned Volvo, Jaguar, and Aston and then sold them of in 2010, 2008, and 2007 respectively, personally I would put Lexus at a similar level to volvo (i.e. a sub-premium brand), Jag at the premium level, and Aston at an exotic, and really it mirrors my car ownership - I started in a Ford, moved on to Volvo's, and have settled into Jaguars but lust after Astons (except the DBX which I think is about as desirable as the clap).

Old 04-13-2020, 04:47 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Edit - referring to F Type v Lexus LC500 - Actually that was a different thread, but yeah back to the OP, I dont really think that there are many parallels between Lexus/Toyota and Aston/Jaguar. Lexus is a Toyota sub brand and a lot of Toyota bits end up in the Lexus. Aston and Jaguar were once both owned by Ford and they shared some bits and a designer. There was a lot of ancient volvo (also owned by Ford at the time) tech in the Astons and from memory both aston and jag used some volvo parts. Of course now Aston use vintage Benz tech instead of ancient volvo tech, Jag doesn't use any Benz tech that I am aware of. And then the 4.2 that Jag used up until 2009 or so was used in part to derive the v8 Vantage 4.3 and then a 4.7 (best sounding engine I've heard).

So I suppose that are some similarities but is is a lot more incestuous as Ford concurrently owned Volvo, Jaguar, and Aston and then sold them of in 2010, 2008, and 2007 respectively, personally I would put Lexus at a similar level to volvo (i.e. a sub-premium brand), Jag at the premium level, and Aston at an exotic, and really it mirrors my car ownership - I started in a Ford, moved on to Volvo's, and have settled into Jaguars but lust after Astons (except the DBX which I think is about as desirable as the clap).
I agree that the Jaguar line-up isn't overlapping with Toyota, but the newer Jag SUV line probably overlaps a lot with Lexus. How LR fits or survives is another question. So the Aston/Jag relationship would by a level up from the Lexus/Toyota type relationships. Lexus did try to break into the exotic space with the $500K LFA but got nowhere.

I guess if Aston doesn't reemerge from bankruptcy it won't matter anyway. That said, Aston being the most luxurious/exotic of these relationships combined with their early demise raises the flip-side question, is there still room for automakers' luxury-branded arms in carmageddon? Or will they burn-off the luxury tiers and re-consolidate? In a demand/employment crater, its hard to imagine as many willing to splurge for an emblem.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-13-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:49 PM
Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Let's not forget that Ford and Mazda had an "incestuous" relationship. Thank you for that word, Bruce.

I don't know much about AM/Jaguar, but all I know is that both brand of sports cars stir up some good feelings from within. TMI? I hope not.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I am not a Lexus/Toyota fan in any sense. I believe their styling language for both lines is misguided and is destroying the years of success that they've built. However, I will give them some credit; in this day and age of car makers going to exclusively SUVs and trucks and all electric or electric/hybrids, Lexus brought out a reasonably sized and decently designed MATURE naturally aspirated performance GT car in the tradition of the XKR or the BMW 6 series.. You don't see too many other automakers, American, European, or Asian clamoring to do that. Even with a diminishing market, they took a chance. Good for them. In the old days, just think of how many 2 door personal luxury cars (GT) there were even just by American manufacturers, cars like the Lincoln Mark III. IV, V etc., the Cadillac Eldorado, the Pontiac Grand Prix, the Ford Thunderbird, That segment of the car market just barely exists any longer, and though I'm not crazy about the LC500, I applaud their guts in bringing it to market in spite of automotive trends. That the larger Aston/Martin GT cars like the DB11, Vanquish etc. are two to three times the price of the LC500 may insure their exclusivity, it equally insures that they won't survive since outside of exclusivity, there is not a great uptick in performance or quality (outside of the sound of the exhaust).

Last edited by tberg; 04-13-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, though I think Pcar got it right when he said that Aston/Jag get you in the feels. I've not been in a LC500 but it is a pretty sterile looking car trying to be different, the other Lexus that I have been in and very pleasant places to be but nothing that I would really want to own. They tend to be loved by accountants and justified in very measured and sensible ways, whereas the Jags and Astons tend to be shunned by accountants and justified by 'just look at it" or "just listen to it". Hopefully they all survive, though I personally wouldnt be disappointed if the rationalisation saw the loss of the DBX from Aston and the E Pace from Jaguar.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:45 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I can't think of a sadder story than the demise of Aston-Martin. Beautiful cars, great heritage, incredible panache. A victim of history. David Brown could save the marque though force of will, and Ford could save it thorough force of money, but the essential driving force was gone. Maserati became just a name plate after the brothers died, and Ferrari is a corporate shadow of what it was when the Commendatore was alive. We are in a time of pablum cars. The best we can expect is a well executed vehicle out of Germany. Such is the march of progress.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suaro
I can't think of a sadder story than the demise of Aston-Martin. Beautiful cars, great heritage, incredible panache. A victim of history. David Brown could save the marque though force of will, and Ford could save it thorough force of money, but the essential driving force was gone. Maserati became just a name plate after the brothers died, and Ferrari is a corporate shadow of what it was when the Commendatore was alive. We are in a time of pablum cars. The best we can expect is a well executed vehicle out of Germany. Such is the march of progress.
Current events accelerated things, but change was circling beforehand. Neither of my driving age kids care one bit about driving. Their phones are their freedom. They think Uber. Its a continental shift from when I was 16 so there was no way the auto industry was going to escape intact anyway.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-13-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by RacerX
Current events accelerated things, but change was circling beforehand. Neither of my driving age kids care one bit about driving. Their phones are their freedom. They think Uber. Its a continental shift from when I was 16 so there was no way the auto industry was going to escape intact anyway.
Whar a loss. Beautiful intricate works of art no longer produced or appreciated in a digital age. Glad I have my F Type for the next few years.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

One of my daughters (21 y.o) is quite into cars. I got her a Mazda2 sedan and we have kitted it out with black allows and spoilers, skirts and tint, it actually looks pretty cool. Her Ladyship (or should that be Her Lazyshit?) loves the F Type but doesnt like being driven around in it because of the dramas getting in and out when she is wearing a micro skirt, as I am sure you are all familiar.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:45 PM
Banned

Whar a loss. Beautiful intricate works of art no longer produced or appreciated in a digital age. Glad I have my F Type for the next few years.
It is heartbreaking.

And for what? A boofed govt model that currently looks like our current cold/flu season could be lighter than 2017.

2019-2020
US flu deaths: 24,000
US Covid deaths: 23,000

US Flu deaths: 80,000
US Cold deaths are not tracked (Coronas are cold viruses)

Bye Aston. Bye Jag. By Ford. Bye GM. Bye XYZ. Bye 42% of GDP this quarter. Bye 401Ks. Bye freedom...

Last edited by RacerX; 04-13-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

RacerX,
Of my 3 28-33 year old kids, only my oldest, my daughter, likes driving. My youngest, the tech kid, dreams of a Tesla 3, and my middle son just doesn't care. I have seen some slight glimmers of hope though. I have a 1968 Pontiac GTO that is about 3 weeks away from coming back home after a several year body off restoration. My youngest keeps asking me when it's coming home 'cause he wants to drive it. My middle son always loves old things and is patiently waiting for a 1958 Corvette that is being restomodded now which will become his one day, and though he'd never mention it, I know that it's something he secretly desired. Cars don't represent the freedom it meant to those of us older than fifty. And the younger generation would rather play a video game of baseball than grab a mitt, a bat, and a ball, and play the real thing out in the fresh air. It's a different world.

Last edited by tberg; 04-13-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:09 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

... The best we can expect is a well executed vehicle out of Germany.
Such expectations are rarely met these days, though.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a Lexus owner - this thread piqued my interest

Ian Callum is the common source for the design language.

Was at AML Gaydon before the shutdown, challenges but moving forward with excitement - as we all are.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:01 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
One of my daughters (21 y.o) is quite into cars. I got her a Mazda2 sedan and we have kitted it out with black allows and spoilers, skirts and tint, it actually looks pretty cool. Her Ladyship (or should that be Her Lazyshit?) loves the F Type but doesnt like being driven around in it because of the dramas getting in and out when she is wearing a micro skirt, as I am sure you are all familiar.
Nice! My daughter is 20 and was into dirt bikes for a while around 15. I first got her a Mini Cooper S. Turned out to be a lemon and not a good car for her anyway. She now drives a Kia Soul and it has been great for her at college. She really likes mid '60s pick up trucks. I was all about it until I took her to look at one and she asked where the air bag was! LOL Then she said she would be willing to drive one only if we got an air bag installed! Bless her heart. Her mom lets her drive her F Pace S and I even let her drive my F Type.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Nice! My daughter is 20 and was into dirt bikes for a while around 15. I first got her a Mini Cooper S. Turned out to be a lemon and not a good car for her anyway. She now drives a Kia Soul and it has been great for her at college. She really likes mid '60s pick up trucks. I was all about it until I took her to look at one and she asked where the air bag was! LOL Then she said she would be willing to drive one only if we got an air bag installed! Bless her heart. Her mom lets her drive her F Pace S and I even let her drive my F Type.
Thats amazing, my 19 year old daughter has a show quality '66 Ford F-100. She rarely drives it, the required brake pedal force is difficullt for her and classic car insurance is unaccomodating for teens as I' m sure you know. A Soul is the perfect college car. Unfortunately, her college cancelled the semester and she can't have a car there anyway. I like the Ford.

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (04-15-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 12:05 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcar2Jag
Riding horses makes us easy targets for looters...
Not if you know how to use your properly-caliber'ed handguns

Old 04-14-2020, 12:22 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

To the original question...I was looking at Aston prior to the current situation. The Vantage AMR has several styling cues on par with the F-Type Coupe I currently own, which would not be a surprise given that it likely was designed when Aston was under the same ownership umbrella as JLR before Ford started selling off assets. It ALSO has the advantage of still being available with a manual transmission, and I have to admit that the notion of a twin-turbo V8 with a manual is VERY appealing to me. That car MOVED!

Inside the vehicle, there are a number of differences, some of which were very much a downgrade IMO, especially on a car with a sticker more than twice what was on my 2016 F-Type V6S. I cannot envision being willing to pay anywhere close to full-boat retail for the Vantage AMR and I suspect that this is going to crater the expected value three-years down the road upon which the lease rates are calculated. If they drop the lease price on the AMR, I would definitely consider adding the Vantage to the fleet. I do not know that I am willing to trade the F-Type against the Vantage though...

One of the other things with Aston though is that there IS a lot of overlap at a distance between the various models, and if you care about what a stranger thinks, that CAN be an unsettling factor. They don't realize that the Vantage is NOT the DB11 (or vice versa). I don't mind talking to strangers about my vehicles, but I don't want to have to waste time explaining that there were, in fact, multiple models under the marque.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Yes Aston is shaky again! They make interesting cars but seem to be percieved as over priced. My local dealer seems to sell a few and then none for a couple months. Jag is part of Land Rover, which sells. The Indian owner has deep pockets and will support but with a belt tightening.I think Jags sedans are really meaningless in the market. The Suv's and crossover are nice as is the F Type. Now it makes little sence to buy new as depreciation is worse thsn ever. But I will say our Maser has to be the depreciation champ, even after getting $18k off!

Old 04-14-2020, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Ahhhh, yes the first car I got for my daughter was an alfa mito. Looked great and the engine (1.4 turbo) was pretty sweet but the dsg was so bad it was dangerous at low speed, hence the Mazda. She has had a drive of the F Type but isnt insured for it so it was a one off unfortunately.

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (04-15-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 02:39 PM

If you are in need of some humor look at the Aston-Martin Forum. FOUR viewers on the Vantage Forum. And even less, which is hard to believe, on the other forums. Talk about nowheresville, there must not be any fan base for the marque. I am completely surprised. I am mature enough to remember the David Brown years. When I still went to the office I would see AM's in the garage. And there have been some beautiful limited editions over the years. To sell cars in this segment there has to be lust, and obviously not too many people are lusting for AM's. I remember the Ferrari sales rep's, "People don't buy Ferraris because they want one, they buy one because they need one."

Since it has been suggested AM may not survive and therefore some bargains might be in the offing, I have been nosing around and there is nothing in the current catalogue that I would want to own. Maybe something on the dealers' used lot might be interesting. My understanding that servicing the things is a major undertaking.

If Ian Fleming had ever seen a DBX, James Bond would have been driving a Jag. I'm happy with what Ive got.

Last edited by Suaro; 04-14-2020 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Is Aston really the Lexus of Jaguar?