F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio System - At my wits end

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 04:58 PM
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Are you sure it is your door speakers and not the shitty rear subs that may have blown and muddying everything?

Old 02-10-2022, 05:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Borbor
Are you sure it is your door speakers and not the shitty rear subs that may have blown and muddying everything?
it’s hard to tell… would that make the vocals sound terrible too? For example, the vocals in “Heavy” by Flight Facilities sound so compressed or something that it makes the speakers sound blown (which they aren’t, they are new speakers)

Old 02-10-2022, 05:49 PM
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

i guess trouble shooting would be fading the system all the way forward and turndown the subwoofer/bass level to quite low to eliminate the rear as much as possible (or disconnect rear speakers completely but alot more work) to see if any difference.
Then fading to left and then to right side to isolate each speaker set inturn.
if it is indeed an amp problem then none of this will help where as if it does then a speaker issue.

ps : had the meridian system in an Evoque previously and base system was absolutely fantastic but had twice as many speakers and 10x better than the F type

Old 02-10-2022, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Borbor
i guess trouble shooting would be fading the system all the way forward and turndown the subwoofer/bass level to quite low to eliminate the rear as much as possible (or disconnect rear speakers completely but alot more work) to see if any difference.
Then fading to left and then to right side to isolate each speaker set inturn.
if it is indeed an amp problem then none of this will help where as if it does then a speaker issue.

ps : had the meridian system in an Evoque previously and base system was absolutely fantastic but had twice as many speakers and 10x better than the F type
thanks, I’ll give that a try when I get it back from the dealer

Old 02-10-2022, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 326 Posts

your speakers have individual crossovers ,you should get a DSP amp run the speaker wire directly to each speaker, not through the plug network ,how you would do it 20 years ago ,so the amp will give each speaker its correct frequency,
night and day difference

Old 02-11-2022, 10:28 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dwilk
They are the same impedance so I can't imagine it being an issue. I have seen others do the speaker upgrade without the upgraded amp
If you are speaking of the Meridian Signature speaker the door woofers are 4 ohm where the base and the surround are 2 ohm.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jag Bass
If you are speaking of the Meridian Signature speaker the door woofers are 4 ohm where the base and the surround are 2 ohm.
wow, ok this is news to me. I can swap the door woofers back.

is it possible this caused some sort of other damage?

Old 02-11-2022, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by dennis black
your speakers have individual crossovers ,you should get a DSP amp run the speaker wire directly to each speaker, not through the plug network ,how you would do it 20 years ago ,so the amp will give each speaker its correct frequency,
night and day difference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQIudNRrcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXPGhVMQPyc
F-type DSP and crossover is all done electronically within the amplifier. Other than a protection capacitor on each tweeter there are no passsive crossovers in these system. Each speaker is wired directly to each channel from the amplifier.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:44 AM

wow, ok this is news to me. I can swap the door woofers back.

is it possible this caused some sort of other damage?
I noticed the output dropped after I installed the door woofer which is to be expected since the amplifier power will be cut in half for the Meridian Signature door woofers. The are a better woofer as there was an improvement in cone control. You will definitely want to be sending more power to these woofers than the base or surround amp can supplying them. My system is powered by Audiocontrol D-6.1200 for the front stage and a Audiocontrol 1.300 for a 10" Sub in a custom boot well enclosure. Definitely get rid of the woofers behind the seats, they are garbage but keep the rear fills behind the head rests or you will loose your backup warning tones.

Last edited by Jag Bass; 02-11-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:47 AM

I noticed the output dropped after I installed the door woofer which is to be expected since the amplifier power will be cut in half for the Meridian Signature door woofers. The are a better woofer as there was an improvement in cone control. You will definitely want to be sending more power to these woofers than the base or surround amp can supplying them. My system is powered by Audiocontrol D-6.1200 for the front stage and a Audiocontrol 1.300 for a 10" Sub in a custom boot well enclosure.
I believe lower impedance than designed for = overheating (possible damage?) and higher = lower output/quieter. even after adding dynamat my doors still rattle pretty bad with bass (I've turned it down and turned the rear subs up to compensate), so increasing the bass in the doors isn't feasible until I can get the rattle dealt with.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:53 AM

I believe lower impedance than designed for = overheating (possible damage?) and higher = lower output/quieter. even after adding dynamat my doors still rattle pretty bad with bass (I've turned it down and turned the rear subs up to compensate), so increasing the bass in the doors isn't feasible until I can get the rattle dealt with.
Yes, while the doors are not the best scenario as an enclosure if the rattles are tamed they will produce some very good sub bass. Best solution for sub bass is a rear enclosure. I pull my sub channel signal for my 1.300 sub amp from the door speaker channels, much better than what you can get from the subs behind the seats.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:55 AM

Yes, while the doors are not the best scenario as an enclosure if the rattles are tamed they will produce some very good sub bass. Best solution for sub bass is a rear enclosure. I pull my sub channel signal for my 1.300 sub amp from the door speaker channels, much better than what you can get from the subs behind the seats.
interesting, does decreasing the bass through the audio settings effect that?

Still, bass doesn’t appear to be my issue, as the vocals that sound heavily compressed occupy either the tweeters or midrange unless something is seriously wrong with my DSP sending the signal to the wrong speakers

Old 02-11-2022, 10:57 AM

The factory base meridian and meridian surround amps are designed to drive 2 ohm door woofers, should not have caused damage putting in the Meridian Signature door woofer which will actually cause the amp to make less power being a 4ohm driver.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:59 AM
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

That “Heavy” track is not very clean. Seems like a ton of T-Pain style Autotune distortion.

Try this track:

Super clean production. Makes almost any system sound good.

Old 02-11-2022, 11:00 AM

interesting, does decreasing the bass through the audio settings effect that?

Still, bass doesn’t appear to be my issue, as the vocals that sound heavily compressed occupy either the tweeters or midrange unless something is seriously wrong with my DSP sending the signal to the wrong speakers
Are you still all factory with exception of replacing the speakers with the Meridian Signature speakers in the doors, or have you added aftermarket amp with high level input from the factory amplifier?

Last edited by Jag Bass; 02-11-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
That “Heavy” track is not very clean. Seems like a ton of T-Pain style Autotune distortion.

Try this track: https://youtu.be/9YhipiMNiYk

Super clean production. Makes almost any system sound good.
it does have some distortion, but it sounds a million times better on every other system I've listened compared to the f-type. it was just one I picked where it sounds super bad.

Old 02-11-2022, 02:43 PM

it does have some distortion, but it sounds a million times better on every other system I've listened compared to the f-type. it was just one I picked where it sounds super bad.
I enjoyed discovering the track from your post, it’s on my playlist now.

Old 02-11-2022, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
I enjoyed discovering the track from your post, it’s on my playlist now.
lol, it’s catchy, never used to be into music like that until listening to the Sirius/XM chill station

Old 02-14-2022, 08:57 AM

Finally got a chance to listen to that track on my Type’s custom system after listening to it all week in my Pace’s 880watt Meridian. OMG, does it hit.

Just wondering what the shop who changed out your drivers thought of your system and if they had any suggestions?

Old 02-14-2022, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the recommended speaker upgrade a few months ago, along with sound deadening on the door sheet metal. After doing one door completely I used my phone to fade back and forth instantly between the left and right channel, so I could A/B the change, and the difference between the two was really minimal to my ears. It sounded slightly better, but for the $500 I spent on the new speakers I wouldn't recommend it. The sound deadening is probably worth it though.

The biggest improvement I got was fading everything to the front in the EQ, so it would stop trying to play vocals and stuff from the crappy speakers behind the seats. That was actually a pretty significant improvement. I still need to do some felt tape in the back panels to cut down on all the rattling there though.

The following users liked this post:
eeeeek (02-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Audio System - At my wits end