Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio System - At my wits end

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by FtypeATX
I did the recommended speaker upgrade a few months ago, along with sound deadening on the door sheet metal. After doing one door completely I used my phone to fade back and forth instantly between the left and right channel, so I could A/B the change, and the difference between the two was really minimal to my ears. It sounded slightly better, but for the $500 I spent on the new speakers I wouldn't recommend it. The sound deadening is probably worth it though.

The biggest improvement I got was fading everything to the front in the EQ, so it would stop trying to play vocals and stuff from the crappy speakers behind the seats. That was actually a pretty significant improvement. I still need to do some felt tape in the back panels to cut down on all the rattling there though.
I'm going to try that.

Old 02-14-2022, 03:25 PM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

If you have the 770 version, fade it forwards, use the Meridian surround program and give the balance a couple ticks towards the driver until the voices come from right in front of your nose.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by FtypeATX
I did the recommended speaker upgrade a few months ago, along with sound deadening on the door sheet metal. After doing one door completely I used my phone to fade back and forth instantly between the left and right channel, so I could A/B the change, and the difference between the two was really minimal to my ears. It sounded slightly better, but for the $500 I spent on the new speakers I wouldn't recommend it. The sound deadening is probably worth it though.

The biggest improvement I got was fading everything to the front in the EQ, so it would stop trying to play vocals and stuff from the crappy speakers behind the seats. That was actually a pretty significant improvement. I still need to do some felt tape in the back panels to cut down on all the rattling there though.
OK, so I tried this. HUGE improvement. Unbelievable.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to trying this as well.

Btw, does anyone know if they have a CarPlay adapter that works with the steering wheel controls yet?

Old 02-22-2022, 07:52 PM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis black
your speakers have individual crossovers
This is completely incorrect. Even the base system has integrated amp/DSP sending specific frequencies to each speaker. There are no passive crossovers. That being said, you can feed the stock high level signal from all of the speaker leads into an aftermarket DSP/amp and clean thing up substantially as well as beefing up the power.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:16 PM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dwilk
Looking forward to trying this as well.

Btw, does anyone know if they have a CarPlay adapter that works with the steering wheel controls yet?
I have the UAD CarPlay but instead of using the wifi connection to play the audio/phone calls, I use the F type's bluetooth connection for the audio, steering wheel control and handsfree call. The wifi connection gives you a less compressed signal but to my worn out ears, it was marginally better but nothing a little bit of extra treble and volume didn't fix. I got the UAD primarily for displaying Waze on the screen and that works like a charm.