F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUDIO upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 11:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AUDIO upgrade

Hello, guys I'm new here. My name is Bart , I live in Belgium and am the owner of a car audio shop. I'm working on a 2018 F type, 2.0 liter turbo and I've made a big audio update for a client. We installed all new speakers ( Focal FLAX Evo 3 way in front doors, 8 inch new subwoofers in custom fiberglass adapters in the stock openings behind the seats, Focal mids in pods behind the original rear grilles. As amplfifiers I use a 8 channel Mosconi DSp amp and for the rear subs we use another 2 channel Mosconi amp, which gets his signal from the 8 channel dsp amp. I set up the system as an active , meaning we sent the front tweeter output from the stock amp, into 2 channels of the dsp amp, same with front mids into another pair of inputs and finally the frontwoofer signal is sent to the 5-6 input channel of the amp, with the intern signal mixer I sent the mid signal from front also to the output for the rear mids and frontwoofer input is also copied to the link through RCA output for the seperate amplifier. Now everything sounds really good but WE ran into troubles when we start the engine, than we have the engine/ exhaust sound through the woofers, both in frontdoor and in the subs in the back. This is really anoying, we tried all technical help from european distributors, but no one knows if this sound is introduced into the signalpad as part of the Jaguar active exhaust system. We have some cars that manipulate this engine sound into the music system in order to give the driver a sporty feeling. Does anybody know if this exist in this type of Jaguar ? And is there a way to disable this function. I would be very gratefull if somebody could give us an answer on this issue. I can post pictures from this built if this is disseard by someone. I made some fiberglass clones from the rear speakers and from there we adapted these brackets to fully closed speaker adapters for 8 inch woofers. This sound great but the experience is ruined for us with this engine noise. I tried the system today with an aftermarket radio providing the signal and then everything is fine.
Can you guys help me out ? Or shout out any ideas which we could try furtheron? THANK YOU ALREADY FOR YOUR COMMENTS.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

I'm not 100% sure how this Symposer works, but here's a thread about defeating it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...defeat-171035/

Old 10-19-2021, 11:50 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Surely the symposer feeds analogue sounds from the engine bay into the cabin, not via the audio system?

Old 10-19-2021, 11:53 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I don't think the Symposer is driving through the audio system, at least in earlier years. But I think some with newer cars have mentioned engine noise coming through speakers.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:58 PM

Thank you already for your answers. We don't struggle with mechanical ways of introducing enginesound into the cabin. I think they mix some enginesound into the doorwoofers and rearwoofers. But here in europe I can't get the answer if this is the cas in a Jaguar F type 2.0 liter turbo from 2018. In other cars like BMW, Mercedes, sportive Fordmodels, Renault's etc we're sure. If we are sure this is the case in this type of car, we can start looking for a way to disengage this system end have a happy customer with a great sounding car.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:23 PM
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart CSD
Thank you already for your answers. We don't struggle with mechanical ways of introducing enginesound into the cabin. I think they mix some enginesound into the doorwoofers and rearwoofers. But here in europe I can't get the answer if this is the cas in a Jaguar F type 2.0 liter turbo from 2018. In other cars like BMW, Mercedes, sportive Fordmodels, Renault's etc we're sure. If we are sure this is the case in this type of car, we can start looking for a way to disengage this system end have a happy customer with a great sounding car.
Yes, there is augmentation of the exhaust sound piped into the audio system of the F-type. Not sure when they started doing, I have a 20 R and now it seems like it does go back at least to the 18's and probably further. From what I understand, it can be turned off via Pathfinder/SSD. You can also stop the exhaust sound from coming out of the speakers by pressing the active exhaust button and turning it off. There is also the Symposer engine augmentation sound but that is separate from what you are experiencing from your woofers. In cars with non modified meridian audio systems it is very hard to detect but when you up the game with subs and more amplification it shows up pretty quickly.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:47 PM

Thank you Jag Bas for your answer, can you tell something more about that Pathfinder/SSD ? We're not familiar with Jaguar as brand, some mayor european brands were contacted , with the question about this system being present in this type of car. I trew this question in the group of some other well known shops and some of them had experienced the same problem but never found a solution to this matter.Now we know this sytem is present we can start looking for a solution to get rid of it. I was still consideringthe small possibilty that something was wrong with the original amplifier. I ruled out that the noise came from some sort of radition into the signal path. But I can't turn of the sound coming through the speakers by using the button for active sound. So the search for a solution can continue, I now know that it isn't a problem of this single car. I wil try to upload some pictures of the install.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:57 PM

Thank you Jag Bas for your answer, can you tell something more about that Pathfinder/SSD ? We're not familiar with Jaguar as brand, some mayor european brands were contacted , with the question about this system being present in this type of car. I trew this question in the group of some other well known shops and some of them had experienced the same problem but never found a solution to this matter.Now we know this sytem is present we can start looking for a solution to get rid of it. I was still consideringthe small possibilty that something was wrong with the original amplifier. I ruled out that the noise came from some sort of radition into the signal path. But I can't turn of the sound coming through the speakers by using the button for active sound. So the search for a solution can continue, I now know that it isn't a problem of this single car. I wil try to upload some pictures of the install.
Pathfinder/SSD is the software that Jaguar uses to make software modifications to the car. Its an expensive venture if you are not servicing jaguars regularly with the hardware to interface with the F-Type running into the thousands even thought the software is free to download. I have been told that the exhaust audio augmentation can be turned off via the software but don't have any further details.

Try to pull fuse 15, assuming that's the right one for the 2018, under the hood which should be for the active exhaust. It may be fuse 43 under the dash, just look it up in the fuse table. With that system disabled, the active exhaust button should blink several times when you turn it off and that should stop the exhaust audio from the subs. This is the way it works with my 20 R.

I am not really sure if the system is different on the 2.0L turbo F-Type or not.

Last edited by Jag Bass; 10-19-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:18 PM

This is the kind of info I'm looking for. Somebody who knows the system and take the effort to answer . If you ask a dealer here if this stupid feature can be turned of the answer is no. Without looking deeper into the problem. I wonder if the active exhaust valve will continue to work if we pull the fuse n°15 in order to stop the sound introduction into the audio system. I will try it tomorrow and will report back about the outcoming. I added the brand new Focal PS25 evo flax subwoofer into the car and this sub transforms the car completely. The lack of deep bass is completely removed by this without becoming a boomcar.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the car install Bart is talking about.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lars VR

This is the car install Bart is talking about.

These are the adapters I built to install the new woofers. I transformed the open air approach into a closed subenclosure.

Last edited by Bart CSD; 10-19-2021 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 10-19-2021, 04:01 PM

Some more pic’s….

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 04:28 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I wonder if the active exhaust valve will continue to work if we pull the fuse n°15 in order to stop the sound introduction into the audio system.
Taking out F15 means the valves will be open all the time, so you won't experience the automatic closing at low rpm.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:47 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

nice photos, thanks for posting
maybe you can poll the members here as plenty would like the custom sub enclosure you have built so you may have a nice little side business selling these

doing the fuse pull is going to going to give you more real exhaust note that takes the place of the artificial exahust note so you may just end up at the same place. Easy enough for you to do testing with and without though and nothing to lose. Good luck

Old 10-20-2021, 02:37 AM

It would be hard for me to build some more speakerholders since I built them on the car, I didn't make a mold out of them. But basicly anybody can built them, in fact I started out by covering the original speakerconstruction in painterstape, to protect them from the polyesterresin, then I laminated some layers of fiberglasmat over them in order to replicate the speakerconstruction. Once dried I trimmed them down and while the circular front was still closed I bolted the subwoofer to it from the back. Once again covered these in tape . I then covered and protected the area in the car where they sit in tape and plastic. I bolted the speakerenclosure back in the car and filled the gaps you've with some foam. Once again some tape over it and the greater gaps were closed with some cardbord. Once i was satisfied with these outcome and checked that I could refit the seatbelts, i fiberglassed these things together with the already made speakerholder. Once this proces is done and cured you simply have to take them out. Remove all tape, clean the pieces a bit and saw the hole for the woofer. Then the fiberglass was sound deadend with damping material and finally everyting was installed in the car, hooked up and once again some dapingmaterial was used to completly seal the area. The opening behind the woofer was also sounddeadend, acoustic foam was inserted and in this way , you won't notice any difference to the car, once the trimpanels are back in place.

Old 10-20-2021, 03:14 PM

Anybody an idea which is the code for removing the enginesound from the speakers ? This would help us out, in meantime we found somebody who is willing to perform the decoding. But he asked if somebody knew the code we have to look at.Tech info is very hard to get from Jaguar here in Belgium.

Old 10-20-2021, 03:43 PM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Like to see the rest of the build. Where did you stash all the amps?

Old 10-20-2021, 04:31 PM

No problem, I will take pictures tomorrow. I use one 8 ch DSP Mosconi amp ( one 90.8) and one One 250.2 for the woofers behind the seats. I'm going to add one more mono, think an Alpine for the subwoofer hidden under the floor. For the Mosconi's , there is one on the left and one on the rear side panel of the trunk. They are mounted vertically and the cables and etc are hidden behind custommade panels.. You only see the frontplates of the amps. But I"ll take some pictures of it tomorrow. The DSP controller is hidden in the cupholder. We're going to make a nice alu plate to sink the display in. The real 25 cm Focal subwoofer will come in place of the storagebox beneath the trunkfloor.

Old 10-22-2021, 01:36 PM

Anybody an idea which is the code for removing the enginesound from the speakers ? This would help us out, in meantime we found somebody who is willing to perform the decoding. But he asked if somebody knew the code we have to look at.Tech info is very hard to get from Jaguar here in Belgium.
Not sure of that part, but someone here in the forum should know. Once you are successful please do provide the details.

Old 10-22-2021, 03:05 PM

Sure I will tell if we"ve solved this puzzle. At the moment I'm working on adding a real subwoofer to the system. it will be located nder the floor in the back of the trunk. I've to remake the removable floorpanel and make one which let the bass pass through smoothly. Today we've been brainstorming about the grille in machined aluminium we think about placing on the floor. This "grille" will be functional and nice in the Focal theme. Further thing we've been looking into is making some new logo plates for the speaker grilles, since there is no more Meridian stuff in the car, we wanna replace these with Focal logo's. Once thisstupid engine noise related thing is solved, this will be a really nice setup and smooth sounding install with deep impact bass, clear and crisp high "s and mid's. More pictures will follow. But in meantime, if someone has aclue about the engineering code which is related to the enginesound introduction into the sytem, pleas let us know.

Quick Reply: AUDIO upgrade