F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aussie Members - Seeking Advice on Buying a used V6S DownUnder

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 11:12 PM
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Aussie Members - Seeking Advice on Buying a used V6S DownUnder

I've been lusting after an F-Type since launch and the stars have recently aligned* and I'm now firmly in the market for a used V6S Coupe. After searching on CarSales for a few weeks I have a few questions for the wise/experienced/opinionated:
- how often do 2014-17 V6S's come on the market and how long do they hang around for, both privately and via dealers? They're obviously not volume sellers in Australia and don't seem to come onto the used market very often: only 3 or 4 advertised n the whole of Australia at the moment
- anyone purchased one in the past 12 months and care to share the price you paid (by private message if you like)?
- how rare are our preferred colors of Silver, Grey or BR Green? I see a LOT of white and black examples, but don't really dig either.
- how commonly were Performance seats, 19" alloys, sunroofs optioned in these models? I'm beginning to think that I may have to compromise a fair bit on my preferred color/options....
- are prices coming down or staying relatively stable? Mid 80Ks seems to where the asking price is, although I just missed out on a BR Green one in Melb that sold a couple of weeks back for $75K.

All opinions on things to look out for/must have options/relative merits of MY14 vs MY15 vs MY16, vs MY17 models, traps for young players, etc greatly appreciated.

* while I was out test-driving an F-PACE SVR the missus spent a lot of time in an F-Type in the showroom and afterwards suggested we keep the Audi SQ5 a few more years and buy a used F-Type...

Old 10-08-2019, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew0068
I've been lusting after an F-Type since launch and the stars have recently aligned* and I'm now firmly in the market for a used V6S Coupe. After searching on CarSales for a few weeks I have a few questions for the wise/experienced/opinionated:
- how often do 2014-17 V6S's come on the market and how long do they hang around for, both privately and via dealers? They're obviously not volume sellers in Australia and don't seem to come onto the used market very often: only 3 or 4 advertised n the whole of Australia at the moment

Not many on the market here in Oz and a lot of them hang around for several months before they are sold, I reckon only one or two new listings every three months.

- anyone purchased one in the past 12 months and care to share the price you paid (by private message if you like)?

I bought mine three years ago so I can't help much there.

- how rare are our preferred colors of Silver, Grey or BR Green? I see a LOT of white and black examples, but don't really dig either

Yep, anything other than white (around 75%) and black (around 20%) is rare!

- how commonly were Performance seats, 19" alloys, sunroofs optioned in these models? I'm beginning to think that I may have to compromise a fair bit on my preferred color/options....

Performance seats are common in the S, I would say 75%.
19" wheels are stock on the S and I reckon they are around 50% 19" and 50% 20".
No such thing as a sunroof on the F-Type, I guess you are talking about the panoramic (pano) roof. I reckon around 75% have the pano roof.

- are prices coming down or staying relatively stable? Mid 80Ks seems to where the asking price is, although I just missed out on a BR Green one in Melb that sold a couple of weeks back for $75K.

Prices are coming down and have been for a while now. My guess is they will continue to drop for another year or two and then bottom out.
My car (fully optioned) was $220,000 new, I got it for $125,000 three years ago, and now it's worth only $70,000.

All opinions on things to look out for/must have options/relative merits of MY14 vs MY15 vs MY16, vs MY17 models, traps for young players, etc greatly appreciated.

Not a helluva lot of differences over those years but Bruce will be sure to chime in and say the pre-2016 infotainment interface is crap and you would be mad to buy anything earlier. That said I don't mind my MY2015 infotainment at all, works perfectly OK for me.
The standard S had 19" wheels but many were optioned with 20" wheels.
Also the standard S brakes are the "high performance'" 380 mm front and 326 mm rear but again a few were optioned with the much better "super performance" brakes, 380 mm front and 376 mm rear. You might even find one with the super expensive CCM brakes.
The must haves are the Vision Pack and the reverse/cross traffic detection system as the coupe is not great for visibility to the sides and rear, and the switchable active exhaust.
Maybe the Surround Sound as well (the 770W system), mine is fantastic and I'm guessing the basic non-surround Meridian system doesn't sound half as good. It was a very expensive option!
Also look for nice to have options like the "sports" (flat bottomed) steering wheel, the bright metal pedal covers, the illuminated sill/tread plates, the power hatch and the heated steering wheel. All just icing on the cake but again they were very expensive options.

* while I was out test-driving an F-PACE SVR the missus spent a lot of time in an F-Type in the showroom and afterwards suggested we keep the Audi SQ5 a few more years and buy a used F-Type...
See opinions above in bold italics.

Last edited by OzXFR; 10-08-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Lol, look all I will say on the infotainment is that I can be very fickle, but I had that pre-16 system in my second XF and I hated it with a passion. Laggy, take forever for the reverse camera to come up, and I was always pushing the wrong buttons when I was driving because there was too much junk on the page. It might have improved in the F Type, my experience was with a '12MY car, but the lagginess was what really made me feral.

I bought mine as a demo 3 1/2 years ago. Mine is pretty much optioned up (sports design pack, extended leather, ambient lighting etc) and has the reverse camera (essential) but not the cross traffic detection which I would rather have than not, though it is really a nuisance maybe twice in a year. I wouldnt buy one without a camera, wouldnt bother too much about wheels because aftermarket are better anyway, would prefer pano roof but you only use it 5 or 6 months a year.

I looked to trade mine on an SVR not long ago and was getting sight unseen offers around and just under $80K. I see a red S on carsales at the moment at $88K, it is a 16.5 but has the base seats (not ideal), no side skirts (actually the ones of the sports design pack are too wide and make the car chunky) and a basic interior. I'd think $77K - $80K would be a decent buy for it if it is looked after, and probably better than what he has been offered as a trade. Red is a magic colour for these cars, the main reason I didnt go to a SVR when I was bitten by the bug a few months back was because I wont buy one unless it is IRR or silver. Grey with black pack looks good too.

The 16.5 models will be coming out of lease over the next few months. Even when I was looking at new ones back in April 2016 they were nearly all white or black but there was the odd silver one.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

Bruce, very little lag if any on my system.
Maybe they fixed it in the F-Type?

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 12:47 AM

Thanks OzXFR, lotsa, lotsa good information there. Wasn't even aware of the reverse/cross traffic detection system.

ps. Suggest that next time you are in Melbourne, you upgrade to an R and leave me your Grey machine.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Lol, look all I will say on the infotainment is that I can be very fickle, but I had that pre-16 system in my second XF and I hated it with a passion. Laggy, take forever for the reverse camera to come up, and I was always pushing the wrong buttons when I was driving because there was too much junk on the page. It might have improved in the F Type, my experience was with a '12MY car, but the lagginess was what really made me feral.

I bought mine as a demo 3 1/2 years ago. Mine is pretty much optioned up (sports design pack, extended leather, ambient lighting etc) and has the reverse camera (essential) but not the cross traffic detection which I would rather have than not, though it is really a nuisance maybe twice in a year. I wouldnt buy one without a camera, wouldnt bother too much about wheels because aftermarket are better anyway, would prefer pano roof but you only use it 5 or 6 months a year.

I looked to trade mine on an SVR not long ago and was getting sight unseen offers around and just under $80K. I see a red S on carsales at the moment at $88K, it is a 16.5 but has the base seats (not ideal), no side skirts (actually the ones of the sports design pack are too wide and make the car chunky) and a basic interior. I'd think $77K - $80K would be a decent buy for it if it is looked after, and probably better than what he has been offered as a trade. Red is a magic colour for these cars, the main reason I didnt go to a SVR when I was bitten by the bug a few months back was because I wont buy one unless it is IRR or silver. Grey with black pack looks good too.

The 16.5 models will be coming out of lease over the next few months. Even when I was looking at new ones back in April 2016 they were nearly all white or black but there was the odd silver one.
Thanks for the solid info Bruce. Missus likes IRR, but I'm more inclined to fly under the radar (where possible). I have looked into that one in Sydney and, besides the color, other things letting it down are the lack of switchable active exhaust and the poverty pack interior. I do love the look of IRR, but so does everyone else...not sure I'd appreciate the attention.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks OzXFR, lotsa, lotsa good information there. Wasn't even aware of the reverse/cross traffic detection system.

ps. Suggest that next time you are in Melbourne, you upgrade to an R and leave me your Grey machine.
Will do, you just need to find me a great condition low mileage R going cheap, and pay me top dollar for my S.
Not much to ask!
As I have commented a few times before the reverse traffic detection has saved me from embarrassment or even a minor bingle a few times now, IMHO it is the only must have "driver aid" on the F-Type.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:00 AM

LOL, there's a nice White one for sale on my street: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...G-AD-17448779/ Goes well (drove it on Saturday and din't want to hand it back), they are flexible on price and have an outlet in SA

Old 10-09-2019, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member

I do love the look of IRR, but so does everyone else...not sure I'd appreciate the attention.
If you dont want attention, you are looking at the wrong car bigfella!

Old 10-09-2019, 04:08 AM

I don't mind a little attention: I have a Porsche Boxster, my first car was a V8 Holden, and I've had two Harleys, two Triumphs and a Ducati. However, still keen to be as low-key as possible in a Jaguar.

BruceTheQuail (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 05:59 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I see a LOT of white and black examples, but don't really dig either.

Hmm, no comment.

Wow, you lucky man - keep her sweet, she sounds well worth hanging on to!

Old 10-09-2019, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Don’t let Bruce deter you Andrew. My 2015 V6S in Stratus Gray is quiet and demur—particularly on start-up—and most people can’t tell the difference between my car and a Prius.

Naturally I jest BUT do agree with you [re] a more “under the radar” look/color—I need to be “under-the-radar”—doesn’t detract one iota from the stunning looks of the car. Some colors certainly would attract less attention. It stands to reason; the brighter the color, the greater [potential for] attention.

Truth is, most people don’t care what kind of car you drive. Buy what moves you.

andrew0068 (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I have to say the CX-16 was in the silver/grey and looks just amazing, personally I think silver is the best on sports Jags as it shows off the curves best of all. I had it on my XKR and loved it, also very easy to look after. But I have yet to see an F Type in any colour that I didnt like, especially when they are on the road with the LEDs on which accentuates some of the lines.

andrew0068 (10-09-2019)