Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Australia recalls v6 for being too loud

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
It is all good if coal is used to charge electric cars. Also, nuclear energy is bad, because HBO show on Chernobyl was really scary.
People's inability to grasp logistically and organizational complexity will never cease to amaze me. The Tesla plates saying "no gas", the people reactively freaking out to Nuclear, etc.
I begin to hold little hope. And I'm an optimist.
Where all "this" is going to be in 10 years will be wild. I'm 43. If I actually survive til my early 70s, I cannot even begin to imagine what this earth looks like in 30 years in 2050. =(
I think I am moving my cars to the island of Lanai, will build a race track, and just go in circles while visiting the Lanai Cat Sanctuary on pit stops.
But like I said in that other thread, we need a car city-state that trades offsets. WE can vroom vroom all over. Somewhere in the Yukon, so get good at the snow drifting.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
Has anyone asked why the government has decided, without adult supervision, why cars need to be quieter all of the sudden?
Sorta related, but I do wonder how the EV movement impacts this. Undoubtedly, since I got my car, it *sounds* louder because there are SO MANY new EVs around me that are quiet. The more quiet cars, the louder ours will sound over all the quiet. I've even had mine sound off in a way where I've shrunk a bit in my seat, knowing how the timing and loudness was no bueno at that moment. Just like how some models have "neighbor" mode for startup.

When our car is the last gas poppin' vehicle, our sound will caterwaul off the neighborhood walls, waking a community, as the wide shot shows birds flying off a power line in the frigid dawn.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
People's inability to grasp logistically and organizational complexity will never cease to amaze me. The Tesla plates saying "no gas", the people reactively freaking out to Nuclear, etc.
I begin to hold little hope. And I'm an optimist.
don’t fret. Like it or not, modular nuclear reactors are coming to a neighborhood near you. They play a significant part of Utah’s initiative to be 53% carbon free with their power generation by 2030. Those reactors aren’t quite small enough yet to fit in the back of an F-Type, but someday...

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-12-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:09 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
don’t fret. Like it or not, modular nuclear reactors are coming to a neighborhood near you. They play a significant part of Utah’s initiative to be 53% carbon free with their power generation by 2030. Those reactors aren’t quite small enough yet to fit in the back of an F-Type, but someday...

Yeah, 600,000,000 HP. Awesome. Imagine the nuclear version of the Tesla bursting into flames on video. Life is good.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:18 PM
Banned

Where all "this" is going to be in 10 years will be wild. I'm 43. If I actually survive til my early 70s, I cannot even begin to imagine what this earth looks like in 30 years in 2050.
When I was a kid we watched the Jetsons and everyone thought we'd have flying cars and take vacations on Mars by the year 2000. In reality, nothing changed except planes got slower, cars got uglier, the Moon got a lot farther away, and now we need two incomes to survive instead of one.

So if I had to guess what 10-30 years will bring, I say the same thing as the last 30 years, nothing much.

Noshame (11-14-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Official recall notice here: https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...-c-my2019-2020

The guts of it:

"What are the defects?

The static noise level exceeds the regulated maximum decibel limit.

What are the hazards?

Vehicles may not meet the required noise emissions standards.

What should consumers do?

Jaguar Land Rover will notify affected owners by letter to request that vehicles are brought to an authorised Jaguar retailer to arrange an update to the vehicle software."

I posted this on the Pommy site a couple of days ago:

"....One of the Oz noise tests is a stationary test where the car is revved to the max and then the throttle is let off. From the factory all F-Types are rev limited to 4,000 rpm in both N and P, so under this test they will only be revving the engine to 4,000 rpm and then letting off. BUT that is the correct technique to maximise the snaps crackles and pops when you let off the loud pedal, so maybe just maybe this is where MY 2019 and 2020 F-Types are falling foul of the Oz noise regs."

It looks like my suspicion could be correct, especially as the stated fix is a software update and nothing else. Bye bye snap crackle and pop on current (and future) model Oz V6 F-Types!

But it makes me wonder, what do you risk if you ignore the recall?
No risk at all here in South Oz as we don't have annual car roadworthy checks, but other States such as NSW do have them, although I'm not sure if the checks involve a stationary noise check.
The major risk of course to MY 2019 and 2020 owners here in Oz is that if/when you bring the car in to a JLR dealership for service or warranty work they will apply this "fix" automatically, even if you tell them not to.
Yet another reason (if one was ever needed) to take your F-Type to an independent workshop for the annual service (if still under warranty, if not just DIY!).

Old 11-12-2019, 09:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OzXFR
What are the hazards?
Vehicles may not meet the required noise emissions standards.
Well that explains it. The hazard is the failure to meet the hazard standard.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
When I was a kid we watched the Jetsons and everyone thought we'd have flying cars and take vacations on Mars by the year 2000. In reality, nothing changed except planes got slower, cars got uglier, the Moon got a lot farther away, and now we need two incomes to survive instead of one.

So if I had to guess what 10-30 years will bring, I say the same thing as the last 30 years, nothing much.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

What I find interesting is that they claim it's the later V6's which people claim were already more tame than the earlier V6's.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts
Default Not quite as bad as this dictate in the EU.

All new cars sold in the EU will be fitted with breathalysers from 2022 onwards after Brussels passed a new road safety law and that also includes speed limiters
so that one would not be able to go faster than the posted speed limit.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Brussels passed a new road safety law and that also includes speed limiters
I wouldn't worry too much about that happening--no revenue if the cops can't rob you on the side of the road at gun point.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

All new cars sold in the EU will be fitted with breathalysers from 2022 onwards after Brussels passed a new road safety law and that also includes speed limiters
LOL I 100% thought you were joking:
https://mashable.com/article/eu-cars...-breathalyzer/

I wasn't pro-Brexit, but that provides a compelling reason.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

LOL I 100% thought you were joking:
https://mashable.com/article/eu-cars...-breathalyzer/

I wasn't pro-Brexit, but that provides a compelling reason.
From the linked article:

"The latter feature uses GPS as well as a built-in sign recognition system to detect if the car is going over the speed limit. If it is, the system will warn the driver and automatically slow down the car. However, the driver will be able to override this by pushing on the accelerator pedal."

It would be incredibly dangerous if you simply could not exceed the speed limit under any circumstances (think about overtaking a truck or bus on a one lane each way road, extremely common here in Oz), but it would appear to be not so bad as you can override the Nanny by putting the pedal to the metal. Which in turn will encourage more drivers to do exactly that, so yet another idiotic Nanny State regulation with very likely unintended consequences!

Old 11-15-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

These 'nannies' are additional ways for tuners to build value into their products.

I remember where some models that had artificially-imposed top speeds, had those limitations removed by various tuners. The stuff above could probably be taken out of a car's ECU. (Or, by hacking the systems that record street speed limits...)

But, I can guess that dealers might deny warranty based on going 26 MPH in a 25 MPH residential zone...LOL.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

For quite a while now, at least in coastal towns of South East England, there have been speed cameras everywhere.

If you are local then you know where they are however if you are just visiting, like me, it can be quite a damper on your driving experience to say the least
especially when you suddenly realize you passed one over the speed limit.

The traffic congestion on many roads is just horrendous anyway and I do not mean just the cities but also way outside those cities and towns.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
From the linked article:

"The latter feature uses GPS as well as a built-in sign recognition system to detect if the car is going over the speed limit. If it is, the system will warn the driver and automatically slow down the car. However, the driver will be able to override this by pushing on the accelerator pedal."

It would be incredibly dangerous if you simply could not exceed the speed limit under any circumstances (think about overtaking a truck or bus on a one lane each way road, extremely common here in Oz), but it would appear to be not so bad as you can override the Nanny by putting the pedal to the metal. Which in turn will encourage more drivers to do exactly that, so yet another idiotic Nanny State regulation with very likely unintended consequences!
It would be interesting to examine possible ways to attack the sign recognition system. So if I put up a fake sign with -60MPH speed limit, would your car slam into reverse?

Old 11-15-2019, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
It would be interesting to examine possible ways to attack the sign recognition system. So if I put up a fake sign with -60MPH speed limit, would your car slam into reverse?
What about swapping the front camera with the backup camera?

Old 11-15-2019, 09:02 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

What happens to rates when government entities begin sharing their data with insurance companies?
The current trend of pushing their dongles to monitor driving is more than a bit creepy to me, and it may just be a precursor.

jackra_1 (11-15-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 10:54 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

For quite a while now, at least in coastal towns of South East England, there have been speed cameras everywhere.
Not quite - they have signs "advertising" speed cameras everywhere, but actual cameras aren't that common, IME. You were unlucky to have found a real one.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

They've been nicked.

Quick Reply: Australia recalls v6 for being too loud