F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autobahn in California?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

I have driven on the autobahn and do think that American's, especially those in California and the northeast would have severe difficulty understanding the concept of discipline. For some reason, the southern (south east) states seem to very much follow the "common" rules of the road. Let people pass if you're in the left lane, don't change lanes every 15 seconds to go 3 mph faster to your destination, stop dive bombing people on the right lanes, etc. etc.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
I have driven on the autobahn and do think that American's, especially those in California and the northeast would have severe difficulty understanding the concept of discipline. For some reason, the southern (south east) states seem to very much follow the "common" rules of the road. Let people pass if you're in the left lane, don't change lanes every 15 seconds to go 3 mph faster to your destination, stop dive bombing people on the right lanes, etc. etc.
I have to concur with that thought. Riding my turbo charged wideglide down to Daytona Beach bike week a few years back, I was doing 120mph in the 2nd to left most lane on I-95, and was frequently being passed. It was so very civilized, observing people driving in their speed appropriate lanes.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd

I have to concur with that thought. Riding my turbo charged wideglide down to Daytona Beach bike week a few years back, I was doing 120mph in the 2nd to left most lane on I-95, and was frequently being passed. It was so very civilized, observing people driving in their speed appropriate lanes.
Exactly. Then you get to California or even worse, Miami, and you'd think it's the apocalypse.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:19 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Sorry Vince, but Upstate New York (NY Thruway) is the worst I've seen for folks camped out in the left lane, and they absolutely won't move over.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:16 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Unhingd

Sure you were.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Autobahn here in California?? No way that ever happens and if it did, people would be dying left and right every single day. People here someone manage to get into huge crashes even in stop and go traffic.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 578 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
In many states it is a 'passing lane'. The idea...and in most cases, the law..... is to use the lane to pass a slower car and then return to the driving lanes.

Some people camp out in the passing lane wanna go slower than others. They have no intention of returning to the driving lanes. They obstruct others...out of arrogance or ignorance.

Some people camp out in the passing lane wanna go faster than others. They have no intention of returning to the driving lanes. They just want everyone to move out of their way, period.

Both are wrong.

Me? Heh heh. I stay to the right most of the time. It's faster. Everybody and their brother wants to be in the passing lane because they want to 'pass' slower traffic.. Very congested; everyone stacked on top of each other, grimacing and swearing, tail gating, flashing their high beams. It's laughable.

Meanwhile, I zoom by in the near-empty right lane(s), whistling a tune

Cheers
DD
Yes siree.....that is when the supercharger pays for itself.....and the race inspired steering and suspension.....always in sport mode on a 4 lane or more....just wish i had posi traction....maybe someday

Old 02-22-2019, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Sorry Vince, but Upstate New York (NY Thruway) is the worst I've seen for folks camped out in the left lane, and they absolutely won't move over.
Dave, we here in the Empire State can claim the title for "worst" for many things. Having a 550 hp f type helps ease the pain.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:10 AM
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
I've driven the autobahns many times. Places where there is likely to be traffic / congestion have speed limits. Places where traffic is likely to be light are wide open. They have maddening traffic jams (stau) just like here, but they also have wonderfully empty unlimited freeways. Probably 20 years ago I rented a BMW 528 and ran it as fast as it would go on the autobahn from Munich to Passau. 250 kph indicated (150 mph). Ran in excess of 200 kph for quite a distance.

Driver training and testing is significantly more rigorous than here. Stay out of the left lane unless passing.

I am from Passau and I am pleased to read this in such an international forum ...

Here in Germany, the subject of speed limitation was currently being discussed in politics. But then immediately rejected by the Minister of Transport.

I think it's one of the few freedoms you still have. It's actually quite simple, everything under 200km / h goes right, the rest left ....

I drove with the F-Type already over 300km / h. But then it is already exhausting and is really only if both or all three lanes are free.
You also have to be very careful on the trucks.

There are already some limits, but mostly there is no limit on the highway.

Greetings from good old germany ...

Old 02-23-2019, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,914 Likes on 7,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Meister_Kajo
It's actually quite simple, everything under 200km / h goes right, the rest left ....
Simple is good.

One complication here in the USA is that laws vary from state-to-state.

Another problem is driver expectations. I fully understand the frustration over left lane hogs but some people simply won't accept the fact that, sometimes, traffic conditions won't allow you to drive as fast as you'd prefer....even in the passing lane. This is usually where freeways and interstates go through metro areas.

Though now thankfully over, there was a time when my daily commute to work was a 166 mile round trip on the interstates. I had plenty of time to observe other drivers. In addition to moronic left lane hogs plodding along, obstructing others, there are plenty of left lane road warriors trying to browbeat other drivers to yield.... when the other drivers really don't have anywhere to go. I don't hold these drivers in especially high regard, either. Grow up. Like it or not, sometimes you just have to plod along with the throngs of rabble. The 'passing lane' is not your personal 24/7/365 autobahn.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-23-2019, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

It would make more sense to put large trucks and buses on the specialized lanes. They are usually on the long runs from Northern to Southern Ca. Getting them out of the way of automotive traffic would give the most benefit to most drivers. I-5 is already an Autobahn, speeds are routinely 85+! If just one additional lane was added each direction, speeds would soar out of control. The only thing holding down speeds is the congestion, especially one big rig trying to pass another. I don't think that the average driver has the skill to drive at sustained speeds over 85 mph. Even average cars today are very fast, most will run up to 125 mph. while higher end models all go way past 145 mph. Travelling at twice (or more) than our maximum Calif. speed limit of 70 mph. would require specialized training, licensing, and vehicle inspections.

It's kind of a shame about the high speed rail project being scrapped, but it was silly to run it through the Calif, interior from towns like Stockton to Bakersfield. We need better train service from the Bay Area to the Valley towns of Tracy, Modesto, Manteca etc. that have become the bedroom communities of the Bay Area. I know lots of people that ride the ACE train (Altimont Corrider Express) into the South Bay every day. Also many that ride the CaiTrain from the South bay to S.F. Southern Calif. has the same issues with the L.A. area out to the Inland Empire residential area. California needs smarter transportation, not necessarily higher speed transportation.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:01 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
Has anyone driven on one of the de-restricted autobahns in Germany? What makes it work? Incredible lane discipline, anticipation, awareness of what’s going on around them.

Over here - it would be carnage. Driving standards are low. People carving each other up, tailgating, switching lanes (every lane is a passing lane), poor awareness of other vehicles around them.

Start with enforcing much higher driving standards and it may work.
100% agree. Driving knowledge (through the very intensive Fahrschule driver education program), Intense focus on lane discipline and lane enforcement (the fines are huge for passing on the right), and well constructed roads (well designed both curve and surface, smooth and quickly well repaired), all contribute to the ability to drive fast when able. Even my lowly VW could hit a good pace.

(Yes - the TPMS battery died on this trip)

Old 02-23-2019, 11:55 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Noshame
The California Autobahn is the I10 from Beaumont to the AZ state line. You better be going 100MPH+ in the left lane or you will be pushed out of the way.
^^^ Fact!!!
I was on I10 headed from Orange County to La Quinta a few months back, in the early AM, just after daybreak. Very few cars on that stretch of road on a Sunday morning. Happened to hook up with a Porsche and then a BMW in Beaumont, and the three of us paced each other for the next 30 mile straight stretch of wide open 3 and 4 lane highway. We were not racing, just cruising, each in our own lane, keeping each other company, and well aware there was some element of security in numbers as we maintained a consistent speed between 140 and 150mph for the entire stretch of road.
I was thoroughly impressed at how solidly planted and confident the F-type felt during this entire encounter.

Considering the rush of adrenaline, the most difficult thing was dialing down the speed for the remaining 25 miles to my destination after the other two exited at the Palm Springs cut-off.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

The biggest challenge with free speed is lane disipline, and more presise changing lanes without being good enough aware of cars (and motorcycles) aproaching at relative very high speed from behind.

I have done a lot of driving at high speeds on German autobahn in cars and on motorcycle, and even on autobahn, slow cars overtaking even slower cars and trucks without checking in the mirrors for fast aproaching wehicles from the rear, is very common. I have learned this from some rather scary moments. Reducing speed hard from 300 km/h to 100 km/h takes a lot longer than reducing speed from 200 km/h to standstill.

I have also driven a lot in both California and Florida, and from my driving experience there, free speed limits is a very bad suggestion....

Too many Germans (and tourists) lack the neccessary lane disipline, and most americans don't even seem to understand the consept - in my humble opinion.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
Has anyone driven on one of the de-restricted autobahns in Germany? What makes it work? Incredible lane discipline, anticipation, awareness of what’s going on around them.

Over here - it would be carnage. Driving standards are low. People carving each other up, tailgating, switching lanes (every lane is a passing lane), poor awareness of other vehicles around them.

Start with enforcing much higher driving standards and it may work.
THIS THIS THIS THIS
The Germans have to know so much more about their vehicles, the laws, etc.... this would be a total disaster.
However.... the idea of driving south/north on the 280 at faster than normal speeds would be divine. Lovely highway.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Rivguy
It would make more sense to put large trucks and buses on the specialized lanes. They are usually on the long runs from Northern to Southern Ca. Getting them out of the way of automotive traffic would give the most benefit to most drivers.
+10000000

I've been saying this for years.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:14 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

It'll never work. Germans & most European driving are much more disciplined drivers whose mentality is that driving is a privilege, not a damn right. Most have higher driving tests & standards, in their single national language (German, English only, etc.) & can read & understand what the sign says & means: "Left Lane is for Passing Only". In the US, esp Calif, you can take the driving test in Spanish, Chinese, etc... in addition to English & don't really care about other drivers nor what the signs says.
Lastly, there's too many Lawyers in Calif to make it work...

Old 02-26-2019, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by paddyh
(Yes - the TPMS battery died on this trip)
A couple of years ago I wanted to organize an event for Jaguars to go to a track where you can reach top speeds. The one in Germany mentioned to me that we would either need to come with new tires or when used have them x-rayed to be sure they are up to the job.

So in short, we where able to drive legally 250 - 300 kph on the public road to the track with tires of unknown state, but where not allowed on it with these ;-)

I know on oval tracks there is more pressure on the tires, but this helped me in realizing that it maybe was not on top of my buckets list anymore to check my cars top speed, there isn't much you can do at these speeds with a tire issue....