F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Awaiting my delivery of F Type R

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 10:23 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Awaiting my delivery of F Type R

I just bought a 2016 R with 11,000 miles from my cousin at a dealer in Chicago. She was just loaded on a transport to come to AZ. I'm anxious since first I have never owned a Jag and my last 2 toy cars were a Porsche 911 and secondly I haven't driven an F Type yet. It seems crazy but locally they wouldn't let me test drive the used ones at dealers without first negotiating a purchase price and ready to buy. I have bought close to 30 cars in my life and have never had that issue in the past. She is getting delivered to a vendor for Xpel and tint before she can come home.

Last edited by Whatsnext; 11-12-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:36 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Congrats, I bought my 2016 R without ever driving one also and was not disappointed in any way.
There were some adjustments as there is with any new to you car but nothing that made me think that if I had pre-driven the car I might have chose something else.
MM

Old 11-13-2020, 02:25 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Yep, bought my F Type without ever driving one either. Had a few Jags before though so was familiar with the brand. Don't expect it to be anything like your 911's, but you'll have no regrets.

Old 11-13-2020, 04:55 AM
Received 108 Likes on 44 Posts

Likewise, bought my car in March having not driven one, but then there weren't any available in the nearest showrooms back then as it was the new model. As it happens, the last car I test drove before buying for myself was back in 1997 (a 106GTi), all the others were bought "blind". Had a 200SX and two Mazdas, then the Jag. The only cars I drove before parting with money were the Mazda 6 for work and the Alfa 156 that my father wanted a 2nd-opinion on - I already knew what my opinion was going to be, but who's going to turn down a drive in an Alfa

Old 11-13-2020, 05:52 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Welcome to the Fam! Enjoy!

Old 11-13-2020, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Yep, bought my F Type without ever driving one either. Had a few Jags before though so was familiar with the brand. Don't expect it to be anything like your 911's, but you'll have no regrets.
Well I loved my 911's and almost bought one 2 weeks ago but some minor things came up on the PPI and my offer was contingent on a solid PPI. Looking forward to seeing how I like the R model. The first one I looked at was used at a dealer and although it seemed to have been beaten by a younger kid (say that due to wrap, wing, exhaust) I loved the look up close and sitting in the car felt "right."

Old 11-13-2020, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Welcome to F-type ownership, you are now a proud owner of an uncommon car. Most non-car people will think this is a James Bond car As F-type shares a lot of mechanics with earlier Jaguar XKR, even early F-types benefit from 'mid cycle' mechanical updates and are considered reliable. As no car is perfect, there are few common themes and re-occurring flaws that you will have to deal with.

Issue 1: Cooling system and plastic coolant piping - unfortunately a number of plastic coolant pipes in the engine bay were made from material that becomes brittle with age. This was made worse by adding an insulated engine cover that traps heat. Some of these coolant pipes are in the engine valley, requiring removal of supercharger to replace. Parts were updated around 2017, but your F-type does not have them installed from factory. These can fail two ways - sudden failure where you dump all coolant and overheat the engine or slow leak. Sudden coolant loss made more dangerous as in-dash engine temperature indicator displays a running average and not instant temperature measures. So by the time you see dash warning about overheating the engine have been cooking for a few minutes. Treat anything related to cooling system as an emergency, don't wait to pull over and shut the engine off and have the car towed. While this might be an overkill, I ask my garage to pressure test cooling system every year prior to storing it for the winter. I also permanently removed engine cover and it had measurable effect on reducing engine bay temperature.

Issue 2: Engine oil and sludge. AJ133 V8 engine in F-type uses direct injection (DI) and oil pressure to control variable timing. DI means these engines are prone to developing sludge on intake valves if oil is neglected. Fortunately, frequent oil changes using spec oil shown to largely mitigate this issue. It is very crucial that you stay on top of oil changes and use spec synthetic oil. Also keep in mind AJ133 V8 doesn't have low oil pressure sensor, this means you can run the car out of oil and it will not warn you. All of this means that you have to be religious about changing oil and monitoring engine oil level.

Issue 3: Injectors. AJ133 engine in F-type uses direct injection. This system has two stage pumps and high-pressure injectors. Injector failures are unfortunately known to happen where whole rail has to be replaced, but can be somewhat mitigated with regular use of PEA-containing injector cleaning. I recommend running PEA fuel additives like BG 44K annually.

Issue 4: Battery and charging. When you plug anything into OBD port, control module is known to get glitched and not completely power the car down. This in turn runs the main battery flat as it never fully shuts down. To fix this, you need to disconnect the main battery to reset the power control module. This is huge inconvenience, can lock you out of the car and so on. My suggestions: a) know emergency unlock procedure (with mechanical key hidden in the fob) b) avoid using OBD readers and so on. You can visually tell that the car did not fully power down if emergency triangle stays illuminated 10 minutes after you locked the car. More so, having marginal battery on these cars is known to trigger all kind of fault codes, so if you suddenly see multiple dash warnings about unrelated things... don't panic, it just might be a marginal battery.

While this is not a fault or mechanical issue, make sure to stay on top of transmission, differential, supercharger oil, brake fluids and engine coolant changes. Low miles on your car does not mean that original fluids are fine - as they degrade both with use and time. Unless you have records from PO, assume that nothing other than oil changes was done (many people treat lease cars as a rental). This means you have to catch up on all other fluid and filter changes. Changing engine oil is crucially important, but there are other fluids and filters that also have to be regularly changed. Especially important is transmission fluid and filter - these cars come equipped with a superb automatic transmission that I expect to last forever, that is unless you never change transmission fluid. Based on the year of your car, you are overdue on coolant and brake fluid changes and due on transmission fluid change. And no, "just 11K miles" does not change the fact that these fluids were put into your car in 2015 at the factory in UK more than 5 years ago.

Also this has to be mentioned. If your car is still on Pzero tires - these are the worst "performance" tires in the industry. Upgrade to MP4S and it will transform how your car handles.

Last edited by SinF; 11-13-2020 at 09:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SinF:
J444G (12-07-2020), jorge429 (11-16-2020), MidLifeinTN (11-15-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

With regard to use of BK44: If car is in storage would you add BK44 for storage period or wait till car comes out of storage?

Old 11-13-2020, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
With regard to use of BK44: If car is in storage would you add BK44 for storage period or wait till car comes out of storage?
Wait until it comes out.
BG44K is not a fuel stabiliser it a fuel system cleaner which doesn't do anything while sitting in the tank, it needs to be running through the fuel lines, injectors, combustion chambers etc before it does anything.
I also suspect that if you add a tin of it then let the car sits for weeks or months that it could settle out to either the top or the bottom of the fuel tank which would not be a good thing.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Wait until it is out of storage. Injector cleaners interact in strange ways with fuel when sitting.

Also, when storing the car, try to get ethanol-free fuel in the tank and add Stabil.

Watch this:

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you SinF!

Old 11-15-2020, 07:34 AM

Well the transport truck called the vendor and said they are in Phoenix today or tonight so it looks like I may get to see it yet this weekend.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:39 AM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

I would report that first dealer to jaguar corporate. Talk about killing a brand by assholery, jeeze. My local dealer moved 8 cars off the showroom to get it out to drive and I walked in there looking like I had just jumped off a tractor. Congrats on your R.

Old 11-15-2020, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

No kidding on when a dealer goes the extra mile. I first test drove my first in 20 degree February weather. Test drove a v6 and v8. Dealer had to shuffle cars in showroom to get the v6 out the door.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:17 AM

Well she arrived last night and not overly happy at the moment. She was filthy and the dealer had it immaculate before it left, but more disappointing is there are a couple scuffs/scratches just in front of each front wheel and another scratch just under the front painted lip. I bought this car site unseen but my cousin is the sales manager of the dealer that sold this car and took it back on trade. I was specific to the sales guy that was taking photo's that I wanted to know exactly the condition of the front end. He sent plenty of pics and assured me the only thing he saw was one small rock hit on the front cover. Now that I have the car (I will try to get time to clean it today) I can see and blow up the pics he sent and vaguely see the scuff mark in the pic. The car is going in mid week for Xpel and window tint. I just hope the 2 scuff marks aren't noticeable once it is clean and protected. And I know a used car is never perfect but with 11,000 on the clock I was expecting more.

Old 11-16-2020, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Sounds like you have a delivery service issue. If the photos you received ahead of time don’t match up with the delivered product the delivery company was not a good one and the dealer (assuming it’s their delivery service) should be making good on the blemish fixes. If the delivery service was contracted by you I’d go back after them for the damage repairs. Either way your still” going to enjoy the hell out of this car!

Old 11-16-2020, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Unless you paid extra for closed container shipping, it was prob on an open trailer and picks up tons of road dirt. Have it washed and detailed, see if they can get out scratches and do the xpel. Then look at it again and I hope you'll be delighted

Old 11-16-2020, 08:25 PM

Well it was an open transport and my fault for going the cheaper route. It cleaned up perfectly and the lady that owns the Xpel shop will fix the scuffs when the do the install of Xpel and tint. It's a beautiful car and of course love the roar. Still haven't driven it or even programmed the stations but hopefully this weekend. And not like people don't know what they look like I will post up a pic of mine after she is picture worthy. I just got a bit upset seeing her so tight on the car hauler and then filthy followed by scuffs I never seen in the prior photo's. Almost wished driving it home that short mile I had went with the Porsche. It is all better now she is cleaned.

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (11-17-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 10:28 PM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

[QUOTE=Whatsnext;2317264]Well it was an open transport and my fault for going the cheaper route. It cleaned up perfectly and the lady that owns the Xpel shop will fix the scuffs when the do the install of Xpel and tint. It's a beautiful car and of course love the roar. Still haven't driven it or even programmed the stations but hopefully this weekend. And not like people don't know what they look like I will post up a pic of mine after she is picture worthy. I just got a bit upset seeing her so tight on the car hauler and then filthy followed by scuffs I never seen in the prior photo's. Almost wished driving it home that short mile I had went with the Porsche. It is all better now she is

My wifes Panamera was shipped from houston in covered trailer. I wondered how the hell the guy got into the damn thing. Ha ha, well we found out when he pulled up to the house. He slapped on some slippers and crawled into the window.. really porsche?

So the car made the 800 mile trek with the drivers window down and the interior had a layer of dust all over inside. Must have been hauling produce in the dirty trailer. The driver could not speak a word of english so my complaint fell on deaf ears. Called the dealer and said if you expect me to give you a perfect survey rating you are nutz. They cut me a check for 500 bucks as compensation. Oh plus the front door speaker was blown which I found out later that day. Dealers.....SMH.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:21 AM

Well even on an open transport the guy could barely get into the car and climbed in through the passenger side. I cringed as he backed up making adjustments to not hit either side of the trailer. Glad your guy put on slippers-mine just squeezed in. Thankfully she is here, cleaned up and awaiting her tint and Xpel install and should be good.

Quick Reply: Awaiting my delivery of F Type R