Sponsored by:

AWD R vs AWD SVR

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 11:00 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts
Default AWD R vs AWD SVR

I sold my XKR and MB SLK55 AMG and I'm looking at getting a F-type convertible AWD R. I don't want to pay an extra $20K for software tunes and cosmetics. What are the performance differences between the AWD R and AWD SVR other than the engine tune and maybe the TCM tune. Mainly looking for the performance hardware differences.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Suspension upgrades and higher capacity SC intercooling.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Hi DGL, glad to see you in the X152 forums. I miss the X150 forums, we all put a lot of time and effort into getting good data into the forum.

Just to elaborate on what unhinged stated which is all on the money, I'll tell you what I've learned in the few months I've had mine. You know I can't leave well enough alone I have to make the car "fit" my personality a bit

The DSC has also been modified, the TCM is also a bit more aggressive profile. Most of the drive train components are also tied to the VIN and even with the physical car the files are not easy to obtain and some will not flash.

Talking to some of the guys over the past few weeks about SDD and modules it also seems as though the SVRs actual engine config file is different from the other models, and not the easiest to install on other models.

I'll be able to look at tunes in the next couple of weeks and will talk to a few people as well.

You've also got the softer front springs, ARB which really helps turn in, with the stiffer rear springs and ARB. The car seems to "set" into a corner much faster and the revised damping. I was skeptical of the revised damping before the car arrived and was in the process of spec'ing coilovers. That was until someone with knowledge of the actual damping system changes told me to wait and drive it. I've never had an engineer/business owner tell me wait and drive it. He was dead on this car handles incredibly well, even with the DCS on its intervened once when I was surprised with the angle of a fast decreasing radius corner. I had to scrub 20MPH and touched the brake which I knew was going ruin the balance so I immediately counter steered. It fixed the attitude via dampers and the rear Diff before I was 1/4 into the counter steer. Zero drama. I tried the same corner again with everything turned off and it was a fast 180 degree counter steer and getting on the throttle lightly as I unwound the wheel and the car pulled it was as easy as that. Again no drama, no Oh crap I wish the front wasn't pushing etc. just a surprisingly very well balanced chassis for even a 3500LBS sports car.

Also don't forget the Titanium/Inconel exhaust, it's beautiful when it starts to "rainbow" after some use, but also has a different tone. Of course you can change exhausts but then you're missing the reduced lift which I noticeable, if you've done a lot of "spirited driving" and have a grasp in basic auto physics which I you do.

I'd like a better infotainment system as I play music off of Tidal not my iPhone, voice integration even though I've flashed it on I can't activate it, just go through the menu and learning. I'm going to see what I can do to get it to work.

Beyond that I personally love the interior tweaks, for me its appealing, although I plan on replacing the plastic door sills and a few other parts with CF and am having it priced after the new year. I have a serious allergy(sarcasm) to large pieces of plastic interior pieces after growing up around 80sc cars.

I think you still have my info so feel free to email me or or give me a call.

One thing I have learned about F Types is there isn't a best model but there is a model that best fits your personality. You can hear an SVR scream by, and then a V6S with a nice exhaust and you love them both.

That's just my two cents take it for what’s its worth but I drove a few P cars accepting the order for my car. Unless you’re talking a fully loaded Turbo S, R or the GT3s I'd still have to consider the Jag. I actually turned all of them down due to insane markups.

Jags are a few seconds slower here and there, but it does with personality and style. The F type is beautiful and the SVR has a ferocious personality, even non car guys notice it. All the f-Types have their edge and personality it just depends on what makes happy. Besides if you know what your doing those few seconds are always lost in the wrong hands. I can lap a car I feel comfortable in much faster than a "faster" car that doesn't fit my style or skill level.

You know how much I did to my XKR, and all I've done is a pulley/tune from AP, PSS tires(oh they are 10MM wider front/ear stock), BMC air filters and an aggressive alignment I wouldn't change a thing. Ok the CF but sorry JLR please ditch the interior plastic, or offer some custom options. I'd even like the shelf behind the seats recovered, but compared to the stack of receipts from my XKR they are minor changes. I also want to drive it all the time, literally LOL, I've gone on two hour drives when I couldnt sleep.

Hope you have been well and hope to see over in this forum.

Enjoy the rest of your day and have a good holiday!

The following 4 users liked this post by MaximA:
BostonKiller (12-22-2016), DJS (12-22-2016), Mbourne (12-23-2016), Panthro (01-08-2017)
Old 12-22-2016, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Mainly looking for the performance hardware differences.
Short answer;

Driveline, etc.; intercooler and exhaust/muffler

Suspension; different springs and sway bars.

the rest is cosmetics and programming. Someone will correct me if I've missed something. Picking up my programmer this week and hope to download the SVR/P7 tune shortly. :-)

Dave

Old 12-22-2016, 05:06 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Hey Max, Good to hear from you and thanks for your comments. I almost sent you payment for the HRE rims before sleeping on it and realizing I was putting the cart before the horse. I had my mind on getting another XKR but decided to wait because the XKR is getting old and wasn't sure if something else would put that smile on my face. What you did with the XKR was amazing Max--you took the car to another level. Good to hear you're having fun tweaking the SVR.

The F-type is appealing to me because of the AWD. The AWD will allow me to drive it year round. My only concern was the available space to put junk in. I'm no longer concerned about the space and just want a really fun car to drive. I'm very frugal with my money and even more so know since the rise of US$ has made it prohibitive for Canadian's to import cars from the US. I was looking at getting a McLaren 650S or Ferrari 458 but not any more unless the Canadian $ reaches parity with the green back--which I don't see happening for a very long time. Consequently, a Jaguar AWD R or SVR is screaming on my radar...

Old 12-23-2016, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Short answer;

the rest is cosmetics and programming. Someone will correct me if I've missed something. Picking up my programmer this week and hope to download the SVR/P7 tune shortly. :-)

Dave
Hi Dave....please elaborate a bit here for me. What does it give you, how do you do this, and result wise any negative impacts on the vehicle? Thanks

Old 12-23-2016, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Hi Dave....please elaborate a bit here for me. What does it give you, how do you do this, and result wise any negative impacts on the vehicle? Thanks
Given Dave's proximity to Penticton, I'm guessing he's making a run down to Velocity AP to pick up a flashing tool and file.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Short answer;

Driveline, etc.; intercooler and exhaust/muffler

Suspension; different springs and sway bars.

Dave
Add fatter tires to that as well

Old 12-23-2016, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Given Dave's proximity to Penticton, I'm guessing he's making a run down to Velocity AP to pick up a flashing tool and file.
Yep. :-)

Dave

Old 12-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slojotaa
1) more power. Since there is zero mechanical differences in the V8 engines used in all F types, power output is a function of software only. My V8S was rated at 495hp (though it used a 510PS tune from the factory so it was a bit underrated). The R uses a 550PS tune and the SVR/Project 7 uses a 575PS tune. Velocity also has a 605hp tune.

2) you call Stuart at Velocity AP. :-) he sends you a programmer; you download your stock file and email it to him, he sends you the tune(s) you want back and you download them to your programmer and then plug the programmer into the car and download the power level software you desire.

3) Negative impacts: harder on rear tires. it's possible to have a warranty issue. Actual likely impact on engine or driveline is zero to nothing with the stock level tunes as these cars already are sold and run at these power levels.

hope this helps,

Dave

The following 2 users liked this post by DPelletier:
Panthro (01-08-2017), slojotaa (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

hope this helps,

Dave[/QUOTE]

Well I could honestly say I learned something this AM. THANK YOU!

The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (12-24-2016)