Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Up Camera Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:17 PM
rmb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Up Camera Failure

Hi, has anyone had a problem with their rear camera?

I have a 2015 convertible. Sometimes the camera works when I shift the gear in reverse. More often than not the camera fails and the nav screen goes blank. I picked up my car in June and the problem started in August.

The dealer checked all the connections and thinks there is a short in the camera unit itself. They have ordered a replacement.

Kind of a bummer as it means they have to take the rear of the car apart including removal of the bumper.

Hopefully the new camera works.

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Haven't had any camera issues. The Nav software did go screwy on me once, no directions. Restarting the car solved that. But obviously your camera issue is more involved.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:32 PM
rmb

My dealer has been very helpful, but unfortunately the new camera did not solve the problem.

They now think it's a faulty "wire harness" in the front behind the computer screen.

What this means is that they will have to tear out the entire dash board to replace the defective part.

How concerned should I be about having the dash removed in a three month old car??

Thanks.....

Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rmb
My dealer has been very helpful, but unfortunately the new camera did not solve the problem.

They now think it's a faulty "wire harness" in the front behind the computer screen.

What this means is that they will have to tear out the entire dash board to replace the defective part.

How concerned should I be about having the dash removed in a three month old car??

Thanks.....
I would be very concerned. Once the dash settles into place, removal and replacement will only cause lasting problems.

From your description of attempted repairs by your dealer, it sounds like they are guessing. If I were in your shoes, i'd absolutely not let them tear the dash out. I'd want diagnosis of the actual problem and no guessing games.

I'd insist they get a regional Jaguar person involved. Such Jaguar rep should be on site to deal with your specific issue. Even if they have to fly them in.

Not sure if they can or will do that, but I know Lamborghini does.

If they can't do that, i'd send it down the lemon law path if Jaguar can't resolve it properly.

In addition, I don't think I buy the defective wiring harness explanation. Why would a wiring harness suddenly go bad? doesn't sound all that plausible to me.

Good luck and I hope it turns out to be something simple that has been overlooked.

Please let us know how things turn out.

Last edited by rkrenek; 10-08-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A lamborghini costs two to five times a jaguar though. Jaguar makes supercars for poor-man's prices.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:59 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lunagry
A lamborghini costs two to five times a jaguar though. Jaguar makes supercars for poor-man's prices.
LOL - since when does a fully loaded, $100k Ftype mean you're poor?

I had the same issue in my XJ. The camera worked half the time. My Ftype has gone blue on the NAV screen or sometimes black. It resets itself though.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

anybody know what's actually involved? tearing out the entire dash board sounds extreme and I would be worried about getting it properly seated back. I can't imagine them not being able to just get access to the wires by just removing the info entainment unit, which is probably just like the old days of upgrading your factory radio. But the entire dash???

Old 10-09-2014, 03:07 AM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

You do come out with some rubbish. Twice as much stuff goes wrtong with Lamborghinis if you drive them half as much as the F-Type. Italian cars are hardly known for their reliability.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:38 AM

My intent was not to create a diversion about italian cars. Just to point to a case where customer service is extraordinary when needed.

The price of the vehicle should not matter once you get to a certain point and the F-Type certainly crosses that line for me.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by alexg
You do come out with some rubbish. Twice as much stuff goes wrtong with Lamborghinis if you drive them half as much as the F-Type. Italian cars are hardly known for their reliability.

My point was that you can't expect the same level of customer service from Jaguar because they don't have the profit margins.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:26 AM

My point was that you can't expect the same level of customer service from Jaguar because they don't have the profit margins.
However, they do have a reputation that will follow them... good or bad. Hopefully Jaguar is reading this thread and will do the right thing for this guy.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rkrenek
However, they do have a reputation that will follow them... good or bad. Hopefully Jaguar is reading this thread and will do the right thing for this guy.

I thought Jaguar always had the reputation for producing cool looking, interesting supercars for half the price, and being able to do so because they skimp in other areas.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:07 PM
rmb

So I try to stay pretty level headed about these things, and again my dealer has been great.

But in addition to ripping out the dash, the prospect of replacing the entire wire harness, which I understand to be a complete re-wiring of the car, seems to be extreme to fix a back up camera. I wonder if this is going to lead to a myriad of electrical problems down the road.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

rmb, have you explored the software issue I mentioned in the other thread? I had the same symptoms on my Range Rover and the fix was to update the software - there was nothing wrong with the camera itself and no requirement to tear down the dash. Only ask as I have to think that the parts/software are going to be substantially similar across JLR products. It may be worth searching for this issue on TOPIX and/or asking your dealer if they've looked at this from a software standpoint rather than just tear your car apart? The cynic in me says the dealer is going to make more in warranty money from a tear down and that this is more in their best interests than yours.....

Old 10-10-2014, 04:46 PM
rmb

Thanks swajames, I will raise the software possibility with them again.

They are fairly certain the problem is in the wiring or connection related.

The funny thing is the camera works right now, but the tech believes it will fail again, and that replacement of the entire wire harness is the only way to eliminate the possibility.

I really don't want my dash ripped out and my brand new car totally re-wired...

Old 10-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Turn your head to the right or the left (whichever is more comfortable/effective for you) when backing up, and look over your shoulder to wherever the heck you are going when doing so. - Problem solved.

You're welcome!

Feel free to bring on the:

Cheers,
-Grant

J/K... I only really wanted to make/try a post with a bunch of these silly moving "emoticons" is all - and yours seemed as good as any to try that out on here, that's all. - Carry on!

Old 10-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Obviously, the above post was on the sarcastic side, but in all seriousness, if I were in your situation, and after pursuing all possible intervention with Jaguar corporate, the only offered option was to to rip out the dash and rewire the car; I would swallow hard and live without the back-up camera.

The proposed fix sounds far too risky. I don't know if Canada has "lemon laws" similar to those in the US, but you can't pursue that option either without letting them rip out the dash because most lemon statutes require that you let them try the same repair 3 times. Thus, not having a back-up camera is to me the far more preferable option.

I don't have it in my base car, and it is absolutely no big deal to live without it.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-11-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Banned

I have no idea why opening the dashboard suddenly turned into this major operation. It's one of the easiest modifications you can do on a car, and historically it's something that most car guys just do themselves. It's mostly just plastic and brightwork and it's probably the most inconsequential part of the car. I've done it myself on some older cars and everything went back into place just fine.

Overall this thread is kind of whiny and it makes me feel bad for Jaguar because this is not the first time I've seen their customers be super demanding. This is why Aston puts out basically the same (really lesser) car for 2x as much. If you give someone a deal they'll always demand more.

Last edited by lunagry; 10-11-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

It doesn't sound as if you read the thread carefully. The account here says that the dealer is saying REMOVAL of the ENTIRE DASH AND WIRING HARNESS is what has been suggested is necessary according to his account. That may or may not be accurate info from the dealer. That's why it was suggested he pursue 2nd opinions from JLR factory reps.

What the dealer says needs to happen is far different than what we used to do easily and routinely to replace the OEM head-unit with an after-market something or other. For whatever reasons, they are saying you one can't just remove the center video display and get to the source of the problem.

The following users liked this post:
rmb (10-12-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Foosh
It doesn't sound as if you read the thread carefully. The account here says that the dealer is saying REMOVAL of the ENTIRE DASH AND WIRING HARNESS is what has been suggested is necessary according to his account. That may or may not be accurate info from the dealer. That's why it was suggested he pursue 2nd opinions from JLR factory reps.

What the dealer says needs to happen is far different than what we used to do easily and routinely to replace the OEM head-unit with an after-market something or other. For whatever reasons, they are saying you one can't just remove the center video display and get to the source of the problem.
I just don't understand the point of this thread. What are we or the dealer supposed to do because this person's camera doesn't work every now and then, other than try to fix it? That stuff about flying in an expert Jaguar surgeon because Lamborghini supposedly does that (I'm not even sure I believe that they do this without charging you) is ridiculous. So is the comment about using lemon laws to get a brand new car over this. If the purpose of the thread was to accuse the dealer of incompetence, then shouldn't you actually figure out how the camera/dash/and the wiring work before making that accusation? I think the purpose was to have someone read through the F-Type manual (the big 1000+ page service manual), figure out and diagnose the problem but no one here has even purchased that manual as far as I know.

I just don't know why Jaguar keeps up with this affordable supercars business model. They're not really selling anything, and not making much profit on these. If I were running Jaguar I'd either raise my prices to Aston/Ferrari levels or just close up shop. Let the public overpay for a 40 year old Porsche design or an overpriced Italian car, and let the ones who can't afford those get a corvette.

Last edited by lunagry; 10-11-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Back Up Camera Failure