F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Up Camera Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Uh, it's pretty obvious. And equally obviously, the dealer has verified the problem exists. The purpose of the thread was for an owner having a problem asking for advice.

His back-up camera almost NEVER works and takes down the nav screen, and the car is under warranty. They are suggesting radical surgery, which could lead to myriad other problems, and you think he's being too demanding. Just, wow . . .

Last edited by Foosh; 10-11-2014 at 11:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rmb (10-12-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

If it were me, I'd try taking out the head unit and checking all connections to it. If no joy, I'd try a new head unit. One presumes the head unit can be removed without disassembling the entire dash?

rmb (10-12-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by rkrenek
i would be very concerned. Once the dash settles into place, removal and replacement will only cause lasting problems.

From your description of attempted repairs by your dealer, it sounds like they are guessing. If i were in your shoes, i'd absolutely not let them tear the dash out. I'd want diagnosis of the actual problem and no guessing games.

I'd insist they get a regional jaguar person involved. Such jaguar rep should be on site to deal with your specific issue. Even if they have to fly them in.

Not sure if they can or will do that, but i know lamborghini does.

If they can't do that, i'd send it down the lemon law path if jaguar can't resolve it properly.

In addition, i don't think i buy the defective wiring harness explanation. Why would a wiring harness suddenly go bad? Doesn't sound all that plausible to me.

Good luck and i hope it turns out to be something simple that has been overlooked.

Please let us know how things turn out.
we pull dashes all the time and that statement is, well false. Theyre pretty simple with just screw, bolts and unsnapping trim pieces. and there is not adjustment. the are locating pegs and slots to align the facia and shoulder bolts to move exactly into position. As with any repair on a car, house, pc etc it always depends on the person doing the work. And it wouldnt be so much a defective harness as a poor connection. But it can be a harness too. I seen where the factory has incorrectly routed something or its pulled loose from the harness retension and become pinched, chaffed etc... just takes a while to become damaged or rub through insulation. some things a immediatly known, and others take awhile. jut to think if you had known how crazy your ex was when you married you wouldnt have married. sometimes it takes time for the CRAZY to come out.
That being said it may be the nav touch screen and or software. I would try a reflash on the unit before i would want to pull a dash. Which could be like pulling a tooth when a drilled and filled cavity may fix instead.

Last edited by Brutal; 10-11-2014 at 03:03 PM.
rmb (10-12-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
we pull dashes all the time and that statement is, well false. Theyre pretty simple with just screw, bolts and unsnapping trim pieces. and there is not adjustment. the are locating pegs and slots to align the facia and shoulder bolts to move exactly into position. As with any repair on a car, house, pc etc it always depends on the person doing the work. And it wouldnt be so much a defective harness as a poor connection. But it can be a harness too. I seen where the factory has incorrectly routed something or its pulled loose from the harness retension and become pinched, chaffed etc... just takes a while to become damaged or rub through insulation. some things a immediatly known, and others take awhile. jut to think if you had known how crazy your ex was when you married you wouldnt have married. sometimes it takes time for the CRAZY to come out.
That being said it may be the nav touch screen and or software. I would try a reflash on the unit before i would want to pull a dash. Which could be like pulling a tooth when a drilled and filled cavity may fix instead.
The statement is not false.

I've had plenty of experience having work done to cars through dealers. Anyone who thinks removal and replacement of the dash will not lead to problems down the road is fooling themselves. They may be minimal, but dash squeaks, rattles, and poorly aligned dash pieces are absolutely annoying.

Furthermore, dealers do not take dashes out very often and they are not experienced doing it.

rmb (10-12-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Back Up Camera Failure-anchorman-well-escalated-quickly.jpg  
Old 10-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I must have been in a really irritated mood this morning, because right now I totally don't know why I bothered to write all that.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:40 AM
rmb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone, all of the opinion are valued, which range from ignore the problem (put up with a blank screen) and avoid having the dash ripped out and my 3 month old car totally re-wired (replacement of the wire harness), to give the car back and demand a new one.

The frustrating thing is the camera does work now but the tech believes it will fail again and that's why he wants to replace the harness in 3 weeks.

By then it will be close to the time when here in Alberta we store sports cars for the winter. So I fear this is not going to be resolved until next spring.

I do not want the possibility of more issues.

As I said before I am pretty level headed about these things and don't get too emotional. I don't believe I am being a whiner. After two trips to the dealer I don't believe they know what the issue is. Not from lack of trying. They don't know why the camera is suddenly working again.

The Jaguar F-Type is a stunning car in my opinion and a very fun convertible to drive, much more enjoyable than my old BMW M Roadster. But I am not all that attached to this car to be honest. If the dealer offered me my money back I would take it and move on.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by rkrenek
The statement is not false.

I've had plenty of experience having work done to cars through dealers. Anyone who thinks removal and replacement of the dash will not lead to problems down the road is fooling themselves. They may be minimal, but dash squeaks, rattles, and poorly aligned dash pieces are absolutely annoying.

Furthermore, dealers do not take dashes out very often and they are not experienced doing it.
OH THATS BECAUSE I WORK AT A DEALER, HAVE A DASH OUT RIGHT NOW AND ANOTHER TO DO TOMORROW. GOTCHA

Old 10-13-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by rmb

as i said before i am pretty level headed about these things and don't get too emotional. I don't believe i am being a whiner. After two trips to the dealer i don't believe they know what the issue is. Not from lack of trying. They don't know why the camera is suddenly working again.
lol well at least its only about 8' of wire. My back up camera in my class a motorhome works when it wants. And i cant just turn my head to look behind me. And this was evidently a issue several times since new from looking at previous owners records. Sooo thats gonna be 35+' of cable and nw system to install. Just going to update to later better equipement. Good luck

Old 10-13-2014, 10:54 PM
rmb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol well at least its only about 8' of wire. My back up camera in my class a motorhome works when it wants. And i cant just turn my head to look behind me. And this was evidently a issue several times since new from looking at previous owners records. Sooo thats gonna be 35+' of cable and nw system to install. Just going to update to later better equipement. Good luck

So let me understand. You are a Jag tech? And you would not hesitate to have them rip out the dash and re-wire the car (whole new wire harness, albeit only 8 feet of spaghetti (I google imaged Jag wire harness)) when the camera is working now? Because they think it is going to fail again?

Sorry I think for $120k I deserve better from Jaguar.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OH THATS BECAUSE I WORK AT A DEALER, HAVE A DASH OUT RIGHT NOW AND ANOTHER TO DO TOMORROW. GOTCHA
We have a dash stud here. Rmb, take your car to him. He's got all the answers.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by rmb
So let me understand. You are a Jag tech? And you would not hesitate to have them rip out the dash and re-wire the car (whole new wire harness, albeit only 8 feet of spaghetti (I google imaged Jag wire harness)) when the camera is working now? Because they think it is going to fail again?

Sorry I think for $120k I deserve better from Jaguar.
reread post #23. Youre putting the cart ahead of the horse. Thats not what I said read last sentence. And If its working now It is NON DUPLICATABLE at the moment now isnt it. So how would they even attempt a repair. you dont know if youve found and fixed a problem if its not acting up in the first place now would you. I meen did you fix it, or is it just being intermittent. I just finished a HVAC install on a XF and half the interior comes out in the front. No left over bolts or screws. But I did have to get 2 bolts and 1 screw to install for the missing ones from the factory on a 7000mile car. A assembly line tech is no more perfect than anyone else, and to think that we at dealers are less capable at doing a great job without issue is just BS. After all if the engineers, assemblers and part suppliers were all perfect at doing their jobs all I would do all day is change tires, brakes and oil.

Last edited by Brutal; 10-14-2014 at 05:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
Foosh (10-14-2014), rmb (10-14-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Excellent points, Brutal, and I completely agree with you. I've run across some exceptional dealer techs who've worked on many of the several dozen cars I've owned over the years. Those techs were clearly "major league all stars" compared to the average "minor league" assembly line worker, who job it is to put the same subset of parts on a particular model day in and day out.

I've also had a few bad experiences, and I think what scares most people is that they will get a "bad draw" especially in the case of such a labor intensive repair as is being discussed here.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Brutal (10-14-2014), rmb (10-14-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 05:39 PM

well it does take me longer to do than warranty time. why? I dont do just that job day to and last thing I want to do is do it again for free, or create a new issue. So I organise all hardware taken out on one side of car. drivers side on the drivers floor, center of dash and console hardware, in the console. passenger side, pass floor etc. and I take picks with my phone just in case I get pulled onto other jobs( always) then I can refer back to it and refresh my memory. I make sure that harnesses are back in proper locations. same hardware goes back and NOTHING left over. Also as I said before the panels are very self locating with built in posts and recievers. the differance in build quality is a night and day differance. When I drive my older Jag or older Jags sometimes I find myself trying to raise windows I think are down alittle because the new cars are SOOO DAMN QUIET and the older ones sound like a window is cracked open while driving. And the things that are done to minimise squeeks, rattles and just plain old noisy interior is a huge differance from ten years ago. The harness is the last thing I would go for, but if youve porperly narrowed out the other possible suspects then you do it. BUT IT DOES NEED TO BE BROKEN AND CONSISTANTLY and NOT intermittent for that type of repair to be done.
GOD made us but would you not let a surgeon open you up to save your life?

Last edited by Brutal; 10-14-2014 at 05:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
rmb (10-14-2014), swajames (10-14-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Default Glad you're here!

Brutal,

You clearly seem to be one of those techs I would trust, with "open heart surgery" on my car. I'm glad you're here monitoring the F-Type forum.

Please stick around.

Brutal (10-15-2014)