F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the backup camera worth it

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Is the backup camera worth it

I'm guessing most of you have the Premium+Vision package and use the backup camera. Is it worth it to you?

Do any of you not have the backup camera option? How easy is the car to park without it since I feel like this car might have low rear visibility. I'm trying hard to justify the $5K price for the Premium+Vision package because the only thing I want from that package is the camera (and to a small extent the parking sensors). What do you guys recommend?

Old 11-30-2014, 08:00 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
I'm guessing most of you have the Premium+Vision package and use the backup camera. Is it worth it to you?

Do any of you not have the backup camera option? How easy is the car to park without it since I feel like this car might have low rear visibility. I'm trying hard to justify the $5K price for the Premium+Vision package because the only thing I want from that package is the camera (and to a small extent the parking sensors). What do you guys recommend?
I would not even consider this car without the vision pack with the reverse camera. Your ability to handle the car in parking is severely limited without these aids.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsnTX
I would not even consider this car without the vision pack with the reverse camera. Your ability to handle the car in parking is severely limited without these aids.
Yes, this.
Lawrence

Old 11-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

It really depends on how you use your car. If it's a daily driver and you find yourself parking a lot then it's probably worth it. But if it's a weekend pleasure car then I haven't found it a must. I generally don't park in tight spaces on weekend trips so the camera is somewhat unnecessary.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle

I don't have it and don't need it. If you use the mirrors and back window, that's all you need for parking. You don't need parking sensors either. Use your eyes, and learn where the corners of your car are.

It was only a few years ago that none of this stuff was available. One of my pet peeves is that we're becoming a culture full of people who don't know how to drive without technology crutches. A few more years from now, we'll be having discussions on car forums about whether one needs the "automatic driving package" where the driver is just along for the ride.

Mine is a daily driver, without a nick on it.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-30-2014 at 09:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mshedden (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 10:18 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

I think the rear view camera and parking sensors are well worth it. They ought to be standard, but I'd probably not buy a car without the option as the parking mirrors and rear view alone aren't sufficient to let you clearly see around the car in all conditions. That doesn't mean I don't know where the corners of my car are - it simply means that you can't see what you can't see.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

I agree...with everyone here, including Foosh. It - the back-up camera and vision package - isn't a replacement for "knowing your car" but merely a very useful "tool" as part of the whole package.

It wasn't an option I intended on getting but I'm certainly glad I have it (for those few times I could really use it).

Best regards,
RJ52

Old 11-30-2014, 11:04 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Kind of a moot point in debating the value of a backup camera. Federal law in the US requires that all new cars sold must have a backup camera starting in 2018.

The following users liked this post:
shift (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 12:48 AM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I have the vision package and rear camera and would get it again. The only negative I have with the camera is the quality of the images which are slightly fish-eyed and nowhere near as good as my BMW. There is room for improvement by Jaguar on this option, but it is functional. I personally find the parking sensors to be more useful than the camera, especially for taking the guesswork out of parking in my garage.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by another_geek
Kind of a moot point in debating the value of a backup camera. Federal law in the US requires that all new cars sold must have a backup camera starting in 2018.
You're quite right that it's now moot. But, that regulation was primarily cost-justified based upon the number of kids who were tragically backed over in their driveways at home, usually by their own parents. Every U.S. federal regulation is required by law to pass this test or the new proposed requirement cannot be enacted.

Sadly, a simple walk-behind before leaving in almost every one of those cases would have avoided a horrible tragedy. Similarly, a careful visual scan of every parking space before entering provides all the info one needs.

My original point here was an editorial comment on how lazy and reliant on technology we have become, and how we now require technology to save us from ourselves. It's amazing how many car commercials now feature people backing up without looking, or entering traffic without looking, only to be saved by a new piece of technology.

I've been in the aerospace safety business for 35 years, and one of the biggest problems we're now facing is that modern aircraft have become so automated, that many pilots can no longer actually fly them proficiently without those aids. The Asiana B-777 crash at SFO was a recent case in point. There have been 5-6 others worldwide due to the same cause.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Would not want to do without the sensors and camera.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

I got the vision package mainly for the parking sensors and the blind spot warning, not the back up camera. The blind spot warning is worthless, don't trust it, as it doesn't warn until it is too late. The camera has been useful at times, especially with the limited rear view in the coupe, although most of the time I rely on the mirrors and the sensors after a quick glance at the camera. .

Last edited by jleuz1; 12-01-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

interesting. I wonder if there will be exemptions for hardcore sports/track cars. I remember reading that it's harder for designers to make cars look the way they want because of all the safety regs requiring certain headlight height, etc.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:18 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Make sure you set the passenger-side mirror to 'autodip' so it will angle down when reversing at low speeds. First car I've had with that feature - useful.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Between the side mirrors and the excellent rear view mirror (and I do mean excellent!),it's really all one needs to drive & park this car correctly.
I just wish the side mirrors would angle down when in reverse like my Lexus,then I could see the curb perfectly.

Trust me when I say visibility in these cars is not a problem...

Old 12-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Make sure you set the passenger-side mirror to 'autodip' so it will angle down when reversing at low speeds. First car I've had with that feature - useful.
Must not be an option I have...

Old 12-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Check to see if you have the option enabled in the driver settings. I'm not sure if this is a std or optional feature.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Check to see if you have the option enabled in the driver settings. I'm not sure if this is a std or optional feature...
Thanks,will do...I'm guessing I don't have.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
That's right. Base cars (at least 2014s) don't have this little feature as it's bundled with one of the other multi-$K option packages.

We do have the option of toggling the pax mirror down, which takes about 1 sec, but that actually requires some conscious mental activity.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the dipping feature requires memory package ! Furthermore as it is shipped with the function defaulted to "off" you must activate it your self.

I'm wondering also if the parking aids will be useful, never had them until now! I will certainly never back into a space so small that I would require these aids ! as I'm sure to then get hit by neighbouring cars when they open their doors !

I'm thinking of getting just the rear sensor warning... should be enough. and it does not cost too much

Quick Reply: Is the backup camera worth it