F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the backup camera worth it

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
OK, I agree, it is NECESSARY for many mindless drivers (of which there are too many), particularly those with children, who don't know where their kids are before they decide to back up in their driveway.
This one suggests that it is a very high percentage. The point is that children are not stationary objects as you know. If one suddenly popped behind your car you are more likely to notice him or her with a camera.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...dies/index.htm

I am sure that of the 14,000 people who ran someone over in reverse last year, many thought themselves attentive drivers who had no need for a backup camera.

You may be perfect. I myself am a pretty good driver - M School graduate, trained in urban pursuit driving by the British Army during my early years, capable of parallel parking in the narrowest spaces with no aids. However I still think having a backup camera is a sensible and safe thing for me to have and I wouldn't buy a car without one.

The following users liked this post:
swajames (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

I am with Stealth and SWA on this one.

This car has very poor rearward visibility. Period. It doesn't make a difference if there are other cars with worse visibility....prospective owners for those cars should also think carefully about getting parking aids.

You can compensate for bad visibility by knowing your car and by taking great care while parking. Likewise, by taking driving carefully and exercising skill you can avoid the need for airbags or ABS brakes. So yes, to be pendantic about it, airbags, ABS, or a rear facing camera are not necessary. But it's not good advice to prospective owners to leave out ABS brakes just because you can use driver skill to deploy brakes correctly in a skid.

I think it's not correct to correlate the need for the rear view camera with driving skill.
There are plenty of skilled drivers who just like using the camera for safety because it provides a field of vision in addition to the mirrors.
There are also plenty of terrible drivers who know how to park a car without using a camera.

Whatever buyers decide, they should be made aware that the F-Type has very bad rearward visibility when they consider this option. It's possible to park the car and drive it safely without the camera, but it's a hell of a lot easier and safer with the addition of the camera and the guides.

Last edited by schraderade; 12-02-2014 at 08:41 PM.
swajames (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by spindoc
Lots of good perspectives on this topic. However, I'll have to disagree on that last point about driver skill. I don't think it comes into play so much when pulling into a parking place or backing out of a driveway in a car with the rear visibility limits of the F-Type Coupe.

I've been an on-track driving instructor and coach for over 10 years. I've spent a week at the Nurburgring, including the 3-day BMW school there. I've led club driving trips on the twisties of the Blue Ridge Mountains for years, and even spent a vacation driving Porsches in the Austrian Alps. I've driven at most of the tracks on the east coast. I've won time trial championships and autocross championships, and hold class records at two different hillclimbs. I believe I have, as you've termed it Foosh, a certain level of skill as a driver.

However, I'm looking forward (see what I did there?) to using the camera aids when I get my F-Type. The car has massive blind spots - we're not talking about a BMW 2002 here. And I celebrate those blind spots; they're there because of the car's flawless, beautiful styling. But all of the driving skill in the world is not going to help me see through those C-pillars.

I agree that over-reliance on automated driving aids is a poor and potentially dangerous substitute for alert, responsive driving. But given the limited rearward visibility of this gorgeous car, I welcome the assistance provided by the camera and sensors in the F-Type Vision Pack.
I agree--it was much easier to see out of my H2 Hummer than my F type R coupe
and believe me, the Hummer had MASSIVE blind spots. After a long road trip one time I found a mini cooper wedged in the bumper.

swajames (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Spindoc,

I find no fault in your argument and no reason to disagree with you. I have said many times in, many different ways, that such aids are useful. It just so happens that I found the car I was looking for in stock with no options. I specifically wanted, and was only looking for, the basic F-Type, with no extra options.

I don't feel handicapped without the aids, because I'm willing to exercise the extra care necessary to compensate for the blind spots. I've done that with many cars over the years including many vintage cars and basic, spartan, sports cars with zero aids and often without options of any kind because I relish the "pure" driving experience. The vast majority of the time, I have the screen and sound system turned off in my F-Type. For me, the base F-Type had too many "options" as standard equipment that I wouldn't have chosen, if I'd had the choice.

Once again, are the aids useful and nice to have? Yes, they absolutely are. Are they absolutely necessary? No they are not. Would you leave the car at home if your camera or parking aids weren't working because the car is unsafe? I don't think so.

And lastly with regard to parents backing over their kids, I'm not sure the U.S. mandate to have all cars equipped with rear cameras will actually eliminate those types of tragedies, although I agree it may reduce the number. I also agree that it is a good thing considering the population we're dealing with. However, I suspect there are too many mindless drivers, who will not even bother to look at the camera image and become victims of the same horrible fate.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
spindoc (12-02-2014), swajames (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwish
and believe me, the hummer had massive blind spots. After a long road trip one time i found a mini cooper wedged in the bumper.
Too funny!!!

Old 12-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it is important to note that these items are "enhancements" and not a substitute for good driving skills. However they are very good enhancements that increase the safety margin and help prevent minor dings to the vehicle.

Lets face it a human being cannot possible be as accurate judging the exact distance to the vehicle as the technology can. You're in the cockpit the sensor is on the bumper.

Having been in aviation for 40+ years I see many parallels between the technology being added to cars and the advances to jet aircraft.

Years ago many seasoned pilots scoffed at the idea of an autopilot. Autopilots do fly the aircraft much safer, smoother and efficiently, IF THEY ARE WORKING.

I also remember a young pilot very upset because the pitch channel did not work on a trip and he had to hand fly the Learjet from Dallas to NY. (Poor baby!)

So if you got 'em, use 'em. If you don't need them, don't buy them.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ldmack3
I think it is important to note that these items are "enhancements" and not a substitute for good driving skills. However they are very good enhancements that increase the safety margin and help prevent minor dings to the vehicle.

Lets face it a human being cannot possible be as accurate judging the exact distance to the vehicle as the technology can. You're in the cockpit the sensor is on the bumper.

Having been in aviation for 40+ years I see many parallels between the technology being added to cars and the advances to jet aircraft.

Years ago many seasoned pilots scoffed at the idea of an autopilot. Autopilots do fly the aircraft much safer, smoother and efficiently, IF THEY ARE WORKING.

I also remember a young pilot very upset because the pitch channel did not work on a trip and he had to hand fly the Learjet from Dallas to NY. (Poor baby!)

So if you got 'em, use 'em. If you don't need them, don't buy them.
I too have been in the aviation safety business for 36 years and am a pilot. One of the ironies of what you say above is that the big debate these days in aviation safety circles is that there is so much automation in today's state-of-the art aircraft that too many in the younger generation of pilots is not proficient to fly the aircraft manually. There have been 3-4 fatal major airline accidents worldwide over the last half dozen years where this factor was cited as the probable cause in the formal accident investigation.

On the other hand, there is no question whatsoever that automation has been a major contributor to an extraordinary reduction in the number of fatal accidents worldwide. It's a question of balance as in all things. Today's pilot is there in case all the automation fails, which does happen on rare occasion. We saw a recent example of that at SFO, when the automatic landing aids were not available that particular day to an Asiana 777 copilot, who was incapable of flying a visual approach on a perfectly clear day.

At the major airline where I worked for many years, we used to do "turn it off training" during every recurrent cycle.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Package definitely must have. All cars will have back up camera by law soon.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
Package definitely must have. All cars will have back up camera by law soon.

Foosh

Sounds familiar doesn't it?
ADSB, CPDLC, FANS1A....

Old 12-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ldmack3
Foosh

Sounds familiar doesn't it?
ADSB, CPDLC, FANS1A....
Yep, it does.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I paid £350 extra for the front sensors and rear camera.

I still use the mirrors for reversing most of the time.

The camera does prove useful in low light conditions however (in addition to its entertainment value in normal driving).

Most of the "Driver Aids" cited appear to reduce the competence of the user, who instead of taking the time to make sure there isn't a potential problem blindly assume the technology will sort it out.

It may help, but it cannot replace paying attention to what you're doing. Additionally, there is the issue of what happens when your eyes are telling you something different to the technology. Spatial disorientation anyone?

And, that's before we start into the integration and fusion of information sources. Which system do you trust when they disagree? Is waiting for a consistent picture to emerge going to be better, or worse than acting on incomplete information?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

The back-up camera is totally worth it. Visibility near the b-pillar on the passenger side is particularly lacking. So backing out of your driveway or parking spot is certainly less precarious if you utilize the camera. It's more than a convenience. It's safer.

This feature coupled with the blind spot indicators on the rear view mirrors adequately compensates for the sub-optimal rearward visibility.

If you want to experience what awful rearward visibility feels like, try backing up in a Lotus Exige. Yes, there's a rear view mirror, but all you see is intercooler.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott B
The back-up camera is totally worth it.
For a simple question this thread has prompted quite a bit of traffic. As I've said earlier, I have it - not that I intended to get it (the car I bought had it as one of the options) - happy I have it, and use it.

It augments my knowing what's going on around me and doesn't supplant it.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

You're not kidding. Many don't seem to understand that not one single person (even me) has argued in this thread that it was not "useful" or not "worth it."

I, for one, have said I don't NEED it, but I have had it, used it, and thought it was worthwhile on several of my other cars. I didn't need it on them either, but I liked it.

So, let the record show that 100% of people on this thread think the camera is useful, and put this to bed.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I just spent the last two days discussing platform CNI.

I may be suffering from PowerPoint Fatigue...

Old 12-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Save the five grand.

Jmo

Old 12-05-2014, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JBsC6
Save the five grand.

Jmo
And put it towards your F-Type...you know, the one with the back up camera.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by JBsC6
Save the five grand.

Jmo
Question: do you actually own an F-Type? I'm asking just because there is quite a lot of confusion on this thread already, and it's not very helpful to add opinions from folks who don't actually drive the car.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schraderade
Question: do you actually own an F-Type? I'm asking just because there is quite a lot of confusion on this thread already, and it's not very helpful to add opinions from folks who don't actually drive the car.
<br />
Well as I'm at my local Jaguar dealer on Monday to sign the order I have last minute thoughts.😊 it would be nice to see on the identity of the user a logo to indicate if one is already an owner or if one is a would be buyer, or a colour coding 😊

Last edited by PaulFrancis; 12-06-2014 at 03:53 AM. Reason: add an idea

Quick Reply: Is the backup camera worth it