F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a bad idea (F-Type Wave)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 09:46 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Is this a bad idea (F-Type Wave)?

Ok, a long time ago when I first got my 65 vette people waved to me and at first I thought they knew me but then realized it was a corvette thing where owners wave to one another. It was cool, and with my driving the car so infrequently it was not a big deal.

Some years ago I purchased a Jeep Wrangler and same thing - wrangler owners wave to one another. Again it was cool at first but this is my DD and there are so many wrangler's on the road these days the cool factor quickly went away.

This got me thinking, and tell me if it's a bad idea. Should we do something to acknowledge other F-Type owners on the road? The chances of another F-Type encounter for some are rare so the cool factor probably would never go away. Do we wave? Solute? Other?

10 years from now when all the F-Type owners acknowledge one another on the road we can say we started it all

Old 06-23-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

I do it everytime I see another F-Type. I'll wave or flash my high-beams a few times if they're across the way. I usually get a blank stare or ignored.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer
Ok, a long time ago when I first got my 65 vette people waved to me and at first I thought they knew me but then realized it was a corvette thing where owners wave to one another. It was cool, and with my driving the car so infrequently it was not a big deal.

Some years ago I purchased a Jeep Wrangler and same thing - wrangler owners wave to one another. Again it was cool at first but this is my DD and there are so many wrangler's on the road these days the cool factor quickly went away.

This got me thinking, and tell me if it's a bad idea. Should we do something to acknowledge other F-Type owners on the road? The chances of another F-Type encounter for some are rare so the cool factor probably would never go away. Do we wave? Solute? Other?

10 years from now when all the F-Type owners acknowledge one another on the road we can say we started it all
Back in 2002 until about 2006, all the MINI drivers were waving at one another, primarily since it was a retro recreation of the British Leyland Mini and enthusiasts were the early adopters. By 2006 the car found acceptance with the general population and hardly anyone was returning the wave. I finally gave u,p particularly since everyone and their brother is driving one.

On the other hand, when I am in the Land Cruiser, I get unsolicited waves (and I respond) from every Land Cruiser, real Land Rovers (Defender and earlier) and 70's era Broncos.

I have waved at the 3 F-types I have randomly encountered on the road over the past year and they were all oblivious, but I will continue doing so.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Here in Toronto I don't come across too many F's. But when I do, a wave or thumbs up seems to be the norm among the passing growling felines.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:34 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a C5 vette.. always waved at other Vette owners
same with my E46 M3.. thumbs up, peace sign, or a wave

Old 06-23-2016, 12:05 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I wave at other bikers when I'm riding. A fair number wave back.

I've never seen another F-Type on the road so waving has never been a consideration.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:13 PM
jf1
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

None of the F-Type drivers I've seen have waved at me, but both of the E-Type drivers I passed did.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

I have been waved at by bikers (surprising), an XK, an M roadster, etc.

I've never been in my F-Type when passing another one, but my policy is to wave at almost any "enthusiast" car. Except Porsches. They're too busy looking at themselves in the vanity mirror to notice anyway.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I've waived at 2 that I have encountered "in the wild". Only one responded but I get waves from just about every other vert out there and most exotics. I'll continue to wave.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Isn't waiving a bit corny?

How bout just a simple head-nod / acknowledgement?

Waving....Really? Like Miss Universe?

Not.

You could just go all the way and pull over, get out, shake hands with a formal intro and share favorite wax opinions.

It would take a tight dress and a glowing smile to get a "pull-over" wave. She doesn't even have to be in an F.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-23-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

A friendly gesture of any kind is well worth doing IMO. There's little chance of my running into, or near, another F-Type here in the State of Maine (the only time that happened was during the Lobster Run) but when I'm in my 1990 red Mazda Miata waves are de rigueur.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:13 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
A friendly gesture of any kind is well worth doing IMO. There's little chance of my running into, or near, another F-Type here in the State of Maine (the only time that happened was during the Lobster Run) but when I'm in my 1990 red Mazda Miata waves are de rigueur.
That may change...chances are I'll be taking the F-Type to Cape Porpoise this weekend to see my folks wonder if a GRB parking sticker would look good on the back of the F-Type?

Old 06-23-2016, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer
That may change...chances are I'll be taking the F-Type to Cape Porpoise this weekend to see my folks wonder if a GRB parking sticker would look good on the back of the F-Type?
NO sticker would look good on the back of the F-Type. Needless to say - although I work in Portland and live in Brunswick (in other words, won't be anywhere near you) - if I see you I WILL wave! Unless I'm going too fast to take both hands off the wheel. I'm sure we'll meet at some point soon.

The following users liked this post:
Kitesurfer (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 01:43 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

In the Midwest (where I'm from), waving is simply raising/opening one hand without taking your palm off the steering wheel. I do it to Jags, and other vert drivers who are clearly enjoying themselves.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:44 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

I usually throw up the dueces, about half will respond in kind.

I've got 7 F-Types within a couple mile radius of my house, so it's become a pretty frequent occurrence. They've become so common here, I see an F-Type nearly every time I leave the house.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:27 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
I usually throw up the dueces, about half will respond in kind.

I've got 7 F-Types within a couple mile radius of my house, so it's become a pretty frequent occurrence. They've become so common here, I see an F-Type nearly every time I leave the house.
Yup they really are everywhere now. They look good though so doesn't bother me too much.

I think I saw you on Lincoln not too long ago. It might have been another lunar grey V6S. I was on my bike so wouldn't have stood out. One of these days we'll pass in our cars.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:10 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

I always give a wave, sometimes it is returned.

I am a long time Land Rover guy too, all defender drivers will wave at each other 50% of Discovery (LR3/4) drivers will wave at each other, Defender drivers ignore Discovery Drivers, the feel it is beneath them.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
I always give a wave, sometimes it is returned.

I am a long time Land Rover guy too, all defender drivers will wave at each other 50% of Discovery (LR3/4) drivers will wave at each other, Defender drivers ignore Discovery Drivers, the feel it is beneath them.
A waving protocol? Really?

Old 06-23-2016, 05:45 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Yep, well established and discussed on the Land Rover forums many times.

The exception is in the outback, there every everybody waves at everybody.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Yep, well established and discussed on the Land Rover forums many times.

The exception is in the outback, there every everybody waves at everybody.
I think I just threw up in my mouth.

If we did that here in California, the streets would be like a dog walking park. There are so many Rovers of all types, no one cares.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-23-2016 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Is this a bad idea (F-Type Wave)?