Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Piston? Please advise!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Yep, that makes sense.
Borescope inspection is definitely the way to go.

The following users liked this post:
Mark F-Type V6 (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 03:03 AM
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark F-Type V6
Hello Board
I have a 2015 F-Type S convertible. The car has 53,249 miles. I've just been informed by my dealer that I need a NEW ENGINE. This news is obviously devastating. They are telling me that the middle cylinder on the drivers side is bad. I have no other info if it's a damaged cylinder or if it's the piston or piston ring. I'm hoping that the piston rings can be replaced opposed to me buying a whole new engine. Please click the link to watch the video from my service tech. Please advise. Technician video

My dealer also upgraded my ECU without asking me. This completely changed the vehicle. As others have said, the pops and cracks are gone, shift points are different, and it's just a complete different vehicle to drive. My dealer is telling me to continue driving the vehicle and it will return back to normal. Is this true?

Gees, this is heavy going.

Could you put the whole picture in Chronological order from the beginning.

I am imaging something like this.
  1. Car taken in for CW front Y pipe renewal for Leakage of the forward CW pipes?
  2. Dealer replaces said CW pipes, and water pump.
  3. Also changes the ECU software ? nice but why??.
  4. Owner gets car returned and drives crap.
  5. Car returned to dealer for investigation.

Some questions.
  • How long was the car at the dealer changing out the CW pipes and the water pump? (Busy dealer and milk it, a bit so about 2 weeks+.)
  • What codes were found before and after the CW Y pipe change out?

Possible, Plausible Explanation.

I would suggest, with the engine being open and the fuel system being depressurised for extended time? (2 weeks plus). Outside cold and/or dampish air with the supercharger off, HP fuel pipe removed etc.

The No.5 Cylinder injector, and may be more, have gone bad, sticking. LH bank mid. etc. may be more in the beginning due to moisture etc.
Dealer finds in runs badly, and changes the ECU program to smooth it out, hide it etc.
Good enough to get it out the shop, without engine light while it continues to drive badly, and pumps fuel into Cylinder No.5 melting the piston top.
Returned to dealer, and new engine required.

So, all engine codes, and boroscope of the No.5 piston crown please.
Miles driven since Y pipe replacement.

Depending on the feed back, you may have to have an independent engineers write a report on the car condition and finds and suggest the dealer replace the engine. This could be tricky without all the evidence being available.

Yes a V5 would drive differently.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:01 AM
Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
You are mistaken on a couple of things.
Firstly, the F-Type came out in 2013 and was designed well after Ford sold Jaguar (and Land Rover) to TATA in 2008.
Secondly, the AJ133 V8 and the AJ126 V6 (which is based on the V8) were designed completely in-house by JLR and have NOTHING to do with any Ford engine!
Not the Coyote 5.0 V8, not the Duratec 3.0 V6. The AJ133 came out in 2009 and the AJ126 in 2012.
As I have explained countless times the confusion arises because the AJ133 and AJ126 were both initially built in a part of the Ford engine plant in Bridgend (Wales UK) under a deal between JLR and Ford, and as a result of this many parts on these engines are stamped "FoMoCo". That deal expired in Dec 2020 and production of these engines was moved to JLRs new engine plant in Wolverhampton.
There MAY have been SOME Ford input to the design of the AJ133, seeing as it came out in 2009 and Ford sold JLR to TATA in 2008, but I have never seen or read of any concrete evidence either way. Neither engine has ever been factory fitted to a non-JLR vehicle.
You are very correct. There was no design input other than back of napkin. The only thing Ford contributed to this engine design was quality management systems in the plant, which JLR sorely needed in the early 2000s.

There is a real mystery as to when OP's cylinder was damaged, agree boroscope inspection by independent 3rd party to verify possible cause would be interesting. Based on what you've suggested, it seems like you have a compelling reason to escalate to this dealer's General Manager and if able to document, possibly JLR NA. I do not know how amenable the parties will be, but with enough evidence and well propositioned history, I think you have a case.

Last edited by dmchao; 08-24-2023 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-27-2023, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

When the car logs and stores codes, aren't they time and date stamped? Not sure how long that data is kept, but prob good to download anything you can as that might indicate when codes were first logged. Even without the CEL illuminated it could be logging codes.

Old 08-28-2023, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Just logged in today after a long, long time. This failure is exactly the same as I had at 38,000 miles. Someone else on this forum experienced the exact same thing. Inserting a bore scope in the plug hole of the 0psi compression cylinder will probably reveal a hole in the top of the piston with none of the usual evidence that might indicate detonation. Some of the early F-Type AJ126 engines were well equipped with flawed pistons. Jag is well aware of this issue. The dealer may not be. In my case, even though the car was 6 months out of warranty, they chose to do a free engine replacement. Get the bore scope work done.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
DJS (08-28-2023), uncheel (08-29-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 04:27 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Just logged in today after a long, long time.
We've missed you - welcome back!

The following users liked this post:
DJS (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
We've missed you - welcome back!
appreciate the welcome. Have been obsessing over my FJ40 restomod project. Front and rear air lockers going in this week.