Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base F Type-Dynamic Mode Button

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Base F Type-Dynamic Mode Button

What does the dynamic mode button do in the base F Type if dynamic mode only comes in the V6S and V8? Is it only for rain/ice/snow?

Old 08-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
What does the dynamic mode button do in the base F Type if dynamic mode only comes in the V6S and V8? Is it only for rain/ice/snow?
Did you ask the dealer? I'm in Boca as well btw

Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SkipM
Did you ask the dealer? I'm in Boca as well btw
During the test drive of the base model (340 HP) I asked if the car had a sport mode. He tells me about dynamic mode and flips a button of which I asked.....I thought only the V6S and V8 had dynamic mode. He said that all models have it. I don't think that is true. Anyone know what that button does? The base model has that button in black while the V6S and V8 have it bordered in orange.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Don't know if it's much different on the various models, but it makes things less automatic and leaves more responsibility to the driver for a more active driving experience. With the exception that it locks TracsDSC on to help protect the driver from himself. Description is below.

• Press button briefly to activate/deactivate
When active:
• TracDSC is automatically selected
• When Jaguar Sequential Shift is selected, up-shifts are fully controlled by the driver
• Selected gear displayed will change from white to amber as rev limiter is approached
• Cannot be active at the same time as ‘Winter mode’

Also,
* Sharper throttle response
* Quicker gear changes

Old 08-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

From the F type brochure.....

http://www.jaguar.com/content/global...EE_SPREADS.pdf

Dynamic Mode remaps the car’s software to further emphasise its sporting
character. It sharpens the throttle response, increases steering weighting
and performs gear shifts more quickly and at higher engine speeds. Selecting
Dynamic Mode also prevents automatic upshifts when the gearbox is used
in manual mode.

On F-TYPE S and F-TYPE V8 S models, the Configurable Dynamics system
allows the driver to define which characteristics are altered when Dynamic
Mode is selected. This option also features the Dynamic-i display system,
which can show performance indices such as G-Force meter and lap time,
plus throttle, steering and brake inputs on the 8 inch Touch-screen.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Why is it that under standard equipment/features, the Base F Type does not list dynamic mode while the V6S and V8 do list it?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Just a guess - on the Base model the Dynamic Mode is not configurable (settings for the various modes are fixed in the software), while for the pricier models, the driver can customize the settings? I'm also trying to sort through the specs..... Not sure if the $12K bump in price from the Base to the V6S makes much sense for a civilian, normal daily driver, especially since the S increment only brings a minimal increase in torque (which is what matters in a DD), unless you spend a lot of time above 5000 rpm.

Last edited by SCMike; 08-29-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:00 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,117 Likes on 1,413 Posts

I believe that in the US, Dynamic Mode is optional on the base model, and standard on the V6S and V8S. In the UK, standard equipment is different than in the US, which can lead to some confusion. When I bought my V6S, I was under the impression that Active Exhaust was standard, but I didn't get the button that enables it all the time. It does make a racket in dynamic mode above 3K rpm or so, and I'm fine not have the button to turn it on all the time - just thought I was getting it.

I switch on dynamic mode most of the time, unless I'm cruising on the freeway.

Last edited by DJS; 08-29-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:39 PM

OK - found the 2014MY Order Guide.

All three models have the Dynamic Stability Control w/3 modes - Normal, TracDSC, DSC off.
All three models have the Winter Mode.
Only the V6S and the V8S have Dynamic Mode (throttle, steering, transmission) as standard.
Only the V6S and the V8S have the Configurable Dynamic Mode as part of an optional Pack.

The Active Sport Exhaust is standard only on the V6S and V8S.
The Driver-selectable Switchable Active Sport Exhaust is an option on all three models, but also part of an optional Pack for the V6s and V8S.

Last edited by SCMike; 08-29-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

All 3 models do have the dynamic mode button which is separate from the dynamic stability control. I need to activate the dynamic mode during my next test drive to see how it might change the shifting characteristics in the fully automatic mode. I wonder if it's the equivalent to the "sport mode" in the Porsche Cayman/Boxster models.

Last edited by bocatrip; 08-29-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 PM

All 3 models do have the dynamic mode button which is separate from the dynamic stability control. I need to activate the dynamic mode during my next test drive to see how it might change the shifting characteristics in the fully automatic mode. I wonder if it's the equivalent to the "sport mode" in the Porsche Cayman/Boxster models.
That's weird since it contradicts Jaguar's own published literature (both the 2014 Order Guide and the 2014 Sales Brochure). Please do report back where on the Base model that button is to be found and what it does.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:41 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Agreed. The early reviews I read talked about the base model not having adaptive dampers, etc. which are part of dynamic mode.

OK, this is wild. The Jaguar website now lists 'Dynamic Mode' under the base model. I'm quite sure that's different from when I was looking in the spring.
2014 Jaguar F-TYPE Price & Models | Jaguar USA

I have the full color brochure at home - I'll see what that says. Note the above link says the V6S has 'Sport suspension with Adaptive Dynamics' while the base model has 'Sport suspension'.

Confusing, to say the least.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:27 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

I checked the fancy brochure which I picked up in May, and back then, the base model did not have the Dynamic Mode. The Jaguar website clearly shows that it has Dynamic Mode now, but it doesn't have active exhaust or adaptive suspension.

So I think Dynamic Mode in the base model must adjust the throttle and shifting (which I like very much in my V6S), and possibly it also makes the steering stiffer.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
I checked the fancy brochure which I picked up in May, and back then, the base model did not have the Dynamic Mode. The Jaguar website clearly shows that it has Dynamic Mode now, but it doesn't have active exhaust or adaptive suspension.

So I think Dynamic Mode in the base model must adjust the throttle and shifting (which I like very much in my V6S), and possibly it also makes the steering stiffer.
I think that Dynamic Mode spec in the Base model on the Jaguar website is a typo! There are three columns of specifications, left to right - Base, S, and V8. Moving from left to right, the subsequent columns have the specs that are IN ADDITION to those in the previous column. So it shows that the Base model has Dynamic Mode in the first column. Then in the second column, the S model has Dynamic Mode IN ADDITION to the standard features for the Base model in the first column. That makes sense, using my finest Clintonian syntax analysis, only if the Dynamic Mode in the Base column is a typo! I still put my money on the official Ordering Guide that does not show Dynamic Mode as available in the Base model. But then, this can be verified if someone can get meaningful seat time in a Base model.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:40 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Nice logic, but...

DYNAMIC MODE

All the electronic chassis control systems of the F-TYPE do not remove the driver from a sense of involvement, they actually heighten it. With Dynamic Mode the driver can engage these systems to enhance a more spirited drive.1 Activating Dynamic Mode changes the settings of the major driver touch-points and control systems, including adjusting throttle response, steering weighting and on S and V8 S models the Adaptive Dynamics suspension damping; it also prevents automatic upshifts when using manual shift mode. Dynamic Mode also changes interior illumination to red signaling the change in vehicle demeanor.
2014 Jaguar F-TYPE Features

Old 08-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

There is a Dynamic mode button in the base model. Instead of the orange color (V6S and V8) it is all black. I've clicked on it in Park but have not yet tried it for a test drive. Once I do, I will report back.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:17 PM

There is a Dynamic mode button in the base model. Instead of the orange color (V6S and V8) it is all black. I've clicked on it in Park but have not yet tried it for a test drive. Once I do, I will report back.
Yes, puhleeze do so, and put us out of our misery. For me it's sort of academic since I am waiting for the F-Coupe to come out, but it is irritating to be unable to figure out the factory's own literature.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SCMike
Yes, puhleeze do so, and put us out of our misery. For me it's sort of academic since I am waiting for the F-Coupe to come out, but it is irritating to be unable to figure out the factory's own literature.
I too am waiting for the F Coupe, but I want to get all the info I can, while watching the glitches and fixes as they arrive in order to make the best decision.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Base does have Dynamic Mode

I have the base F-type and it does have the Dynamic Mode which does seem to adjust the steering and shift points, also if I turn it on, the trans doesn't shift until if tell it to when using the paddles. Finally, it is listed on the window sticker!

Since the base doesn't have the Configurable Ambient Lighting , only the lights around the speedo and tack turn red at night.

The following users liked this post:
SCMike (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by NaplesTopLess
I have the base F-type and it does have the Dynamic Mode which does seem to adjust the steering and shift points, also if I turn it on, the trans doesn't shift until if tell it to when using the paddles. Finally, it is listed on the window sticker!

Since the base doesn't have the Configurable Ambient Lighting , only the lights around the speedo and tack turn red at night.
Great to hear from an actual owner (rather than us brochure shufflers). I'm relieved to hear that the Base model Dynamic Mode allows the driver full control over the shift points.

Care to share your impressions of the car? Especially, how does it behave through the twisties without all the electronic nannies of the more expensive models?

Quick Reply: Base F Type-Dynamic Mode Button