Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base F Type-Dynamic Mode Button

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 534 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by NaplesTopLess
I have the base F-type and it does have the Dynamic Mode which does seem to adjust the steering and shift points, also if I turn it on, the trans doesn't shift until if tell it to when using the paddles. Finally, it is listed on the window sticker!

Since the base doesn't have the Configurable Ambient Lighting , only the lights around the speedo and tack turn red at night.
Are you saying that when you are in fully automatic mode the shifts take longer or are shorter? I'm not really concerned with manual mode as I would generally be only in the automatic mode.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

When I test drove all three versions, I didn't really feel that much difference between the handling of each of the cars. That said, I really didn't have the chance to push the car. I did find that while the V6S was a little quicker than the base, I liked the overall feel of the base vs. V6S. Since there are 40 horse difference but only a few foot pounds of torque, I really didn't think the small difference was worth the $11,000. Since my car has the switchable exhaust, the only real differences were the increase horsepower and the active suspension.

My car had to shipped to FL from Tenn, so while I was waiting for the car, the dealer lent me a V8S. Since the base is faster that I can safety drive here in Naples, FL or on the interstate, I really didn't like the V8.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Are you saying that when you are in fully automatic mode the shifts take longer or are shorter? I'm not really concerned with manual mode as I would generally be only in the automatic mode.
In the normal mode the shifts are at a lower RPM and the car will upshift into 8th at a lower speed. When you move to sport mode the shifts are at higher RPM and are a little quicker.

I hope this answers your question.

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 534 Likes on 378 Posts

In the normal mode the shifts are at a lower RPM and the car will upshift into 8th at a lower speed. When you move to sport mode the shifts are at higher RPM and are a little quicker.

I hope this answers your question.
Thanks. Once I give it a test drive I will report back as well.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:48 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,151 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Since my car has the switchable exhaust, the only real differences were the increase horsepower and the active suspension.
And limited-slip differential.

NaplesTopLess (09-03-2013)
Old 02-18-2016, 07:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up 2016 F Type (base) Dynamic Mode

The new 2016 base model does come with an optional Dynamic Mode. I have one with a manual transmission, which is also new for the 2016 model. My Dynamic Mode does everything described to include active exhaust, accelerated throttle, sports suspension, tightens steering wheel, and changes dash board light tone to a red accent. The base model however, does not offer the menu selection for the dynamic mode, it is all or nothing. I can still drive it in a normal mode and push the active exhaust button for the thrilling sound. I purposely chose the manual transmission over the automatic as I had a BMW with paddle shifters and "semi-manual" transmission and frankly ... it is not the same thrill as truly controlling your car with a stick shift.

Uncle Fishbits (02-20-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 08:59 PM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Dynamic mode also activates launch control, at least in 2016 V6 model, don't know about V8.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:10 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Now for the 2016 MT V6. It has active exhaust standard and dynamic mode standard. The dynamic mode turns on the active exhaust and makes the throttle very touchy.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 629 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
Dynamic mode also activates launch control, at least in 2016 V6 model, don't know about V8.
No launch control on the V8.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:45 PM
Default Dynamic Button in the base F Type

My base F Type has the Dynamic Mode, DM (as well as the snow/rain mode). It is my understanding that the DM in the base F Type provides everything that it provides in the S and R models with the exception of the menu selection for capabilities. That is, it provides active exhaust, accelerated throttle, sports suspension and tight steering. Additionally, when in DM, the dash board color changes to a reddish accent light instead of the regular white light.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:33 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by dcompain
My base F Type has the Dynamic Mode, DM (as well as the snow/rain mode). It is my understanding that the DM in the base F Type provides everything that it provides in the S and R models with the exception of the menu selection for capabilities. That is, it provides active exhaust, accelerated throttle, sports suspension and tight steering. Additionally, when in DM, the dash board color changes to a reddish accent light instead of the regular white light.
I'm pretty sure the base does not have configurable suspension - the S and V8 models have variable shock absorbers controlled with a stepper motor type actuator on the top of each shock, setting the 'firmness' - the base has regular non variable shocks.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

Not having active dampers, the ride stays the same. The rest changes in an 'all or nothing' kind of way.

Basically the opposite of selecting Snow Mode...

Old 02-20-2016, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

Not having active dampers, the ride stays the same. The rest changes in an 'all or nothing' kind of way.

Basically the opposite of selecting Snow Mode...
I admit, I've been online since the late 80's and we had games of threadkiller and bumping old threads. It was a joy. lol

I call the "snow" button the "Honda mode".

But Today.. I finally learned why other people were talking about setting their dynamic mode. I have the base, I just press the button and go. Also, I've driven 6661 miles and I've never driven without dynamic mode on. Do people drive with it off? Why?

Fuel efficiency? ZING!

Old 02-21-2016, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
But Today.. I finally learned why other people were talking about setting their dynamic mode. I have the base, I just press the button and go. Also, I've driven 6661 miles and I've never driven without dynamic mode on. Do people drive with it off? Why?

Fuel efficiency? ZING!
I'm glad I have configurable dynamic mode. I run mine in dynamic all the time, but only for damping and steering.

I don't like the dynamic setting for the accelerator pedal. It doesn't give more power or less fuel efficiency, but does make the pedal more sensitive in the initial part of its travel. It makes the engine feel more powerful because you don't need to give it much gas to get it to jump, but the sensitivity should be in the last 1/4 of travel, not the first, especially with a manual transmission.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I'm glad I have configurable dynamic mode. I run mine in dynamic all the time, but only for damping and steering.

I don't like the dynamic setting for the accelerator pedal. It doesn't give more power or less fuel efficiency, but does make the pedal more sensitive in the initial part of its travel. It makes the engine feel more powerful because you don't need to give it much gas to get it to jump, but the sensitivity should be in the last 1/4 of travel, not the first, especially with a manual transmission.
+1 to all.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

More crackle on overrun? Not to everyone's taste, obviously...

Old 02-21-2016, 07:22 PM
Default Driving on Dynamic Mode

I don't mind the acceleration aspect of the dynamic mode. I dislike the sports suspension feel, but I really like the active exhaust sound. It is for the latter that I drive it on dynamic mode most of the time. DM also remains active for up to 6 hours after you turn the engine off.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
More crackle on overrun? Not to everyone's taste, obviously...
Originally Posted by dcompain
I don't mind the acceleration aspect of the dynamic mode. I dislike the sports suspension feel, but I really like the active exhaust sound. It is for the latter that I drive it on dynamic mode most of the time. DM also remains active for up to 6 hours after you turn the engine off.
The exhaust has its own button, at least on the S. It comes on automatically with dynamic mode, but I usually go dynamic/quiet. I like the steering and suspension, don't like throttle, and set the exhaust to suit my mood.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:09 PM
Default Dynamic Mode Exhaust Sound

My car also has the exhaust button separately from the DM, but ... the sound is not the same and I've tried it in different roads, speeds, and traffic. I still prefer the full sound of DM.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

My base car does not have active exhaust. Dynamic mode does ratchet up the exhaust volume, and it also produces more snap, crackle, and pop. Of course, the base sport exhaust has no valves to open and close, and it's sound level is somewhere between active valves closed vs. open. IOW, it's not as quiet or as loud as active exhaust can be, a happy medium in my view.

The base exhaust is still the loudest exhaust I've had on any car.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-21-2016 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Base F Type-Dynamic Mode Button