Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

base model or s

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Any car purchase based on need alone will hardly ever result in the purchase of much more than a base model KIA. It's what you want versus what you are willing to pay that establishes the purchase equation...
Don't know why the KIA reference,I was talking specifically about the F-Type and for 99% of those owners,the base car is more car than most will ever need...

Old 07-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Think lhoboy's point is that F-Types are luxury items, and when it comes to luxury stuff it's not about "need" but "want" and "desire". Same reason some people pay $20K for a watch, when all watches (even the $10 ones) can tell time. The "S" does offer some non-performance stuff like larger wheels, exterior gloss trim, ambient lighting, etc. So even if you don't "need" the extra HP or will not track the car, those features in the S might be worth it to you. But only you can decide if it's "worth it" because it's your money!

Old 07-15-2015, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Incidentally, I remember my first car, a barebones Honda Civic. Now I see barebones Civics have things like power windows, backup cameras, cruise control! I do think that if you just want basic general purpose car then you don't need to spend more than $30K to get most of the features you want: power everything, navigation, bluetooth, cameras, decent power, etc. It's amazing how good the basic cars are these days.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
Incidentally, I remember my first car, a barebones Honda Civic. Now I see barebones Civics have things like power windows, backup cameras, cruise control! I do think that if you just want basic general purpose car then you don't need to spend more than $30K to get most of the features you want: power everything, navigation, bluetooth, cameras, decent power, etc. It's amazing how good the basic cars are these days.
+1

Likewise, if all you want is a sports car that can get the job done, the 2016 Mazda MX-5/Miata will get you almost everything that the F-Type will get you, for less than half the price. It is a great car, decent looking, and fun to drive, but doesn't offer the same look, sound, performance, or luxury as the F-Type. It's all about want.

Personally I would never have been happy with the base model. I'd go with the S at least, since I think you otherwise lose out on much of what makes the F-Type special. Heck without the S model I don't think you even get dual zone HVAC. The extra HP/TQ isn't even really the largest factor. As others have mentioned you lose most of the performance options like active exhaust, better tires, suspension, LSD, option for TVB, etc.

Of course if you just want a 1+1 touring car that looks amazing and you don't care about those performance options, then the base model is probably perfect.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Don't know why the KIA reference,I was talking specifically about the F-Type and for 99% of those owners,the base car is more car than most will ever need...
My only point was that the concept of need is somewhat irrelevant when talking about the level of vehicles we have. Need is relevant when considered in relationship to food, water and shelter (e.g. what do I need to get to work in the morning to put food on the table). Just pondering Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Your definition of "need" is not "first world." In this world, what one "needs" is what one "wants."

Old 07-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Your definition of "need" is not "first world." In this world, what one "needs" is what one "wants."
Right on Foosh. I ordered a Base because it is all that I need to satisfy what I want and desire in a sports car to meet my minimum expectations. If it didn't, then I'd buy more; I'd upgrade, or buy something else. Each makes his own definition and decision about that.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mjm3457
Right on Foosh. I ordered a Base because it is all that I need to satisfy what I want and desire in a sports car to meet my minimum expectations. If it didn't, then I'd buy more; I'd upgrade, or buy something else. Each makes his own definition and decision about that.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you really want the higher end model but don't feel comfortable spending that much I would just wait. Perhaps hold off a year and look for a lightly used model. You would probably get more car for less money (no big depreciation hit). The internet is full of higher end cars with low mileage that usually can be had for a great discount. I purchased a 4 year old Porsche turbo for half of the original selling price with only 17k miles on it. The deals are certainly there. In the end it just depends on your financial situation and what you are comfortable with actually doing.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

True. It's a rather complex equation. For some it's financial, and for other's it's about what is more sensible. Sensible would be a Kia, but I don't want that either. If you're lucky, you arrive at the right balance point, but I think that's often a function of life experience (aka "age").

I could purchase a new Ferrari if I wanted to, but I don't want one. To me, it's not worth the money, which could be put to so many better uses.

That's the decision process I went through when deciding to buy an F-Type.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-15-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

Whether something is "worth it" is an interesting discussion. For some things, it's definitely dependent on bank account. I don't think a carbon fiber engine cover is worth $3K given my current financial situation. But if I win $100 million tomorrow, I'd probably go buy it because $3K with $100 million in the bank is like $20 to me, trivial/inconsequential. But for other things, $100 million would not change whether it's worth it. For example, I am not a coffee snob. I just like regular coffee, nothing fancy. Even if I win $100 million, I would not pay $5 for a cup of high end coffee. I don't appreciate it, don't care for it. That's just throwing money away. So high end coffee will never be worth it to me regardless of my financial situation. Bringing it back to cars...LSD, torque vectoring, etc. might be your coffee...you just don't care for it. But for other things like larger wheels, upgraded stereo, etc., you have to factor in your financial situation.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by shift
Whether something is "worth it" is an interesting discussion. For some things, it's definitely dependent on bank account. I don't think a carbon fiber engine cover is worth $3K given my current financial situation. But if I win $100 million tomorrow, I'd probably go buy it because $3K with $100 million in the bank is like $20 to me, trivial/inconsequential. But for other things, $100 million would not change whether it's worth it. For example, I am not a coffee snob. I just like regular coffee, nothing fancy. Even if I win $100 million, I would not pay $5 for a cup of high end coffee. I don't appreciate it, don't care for it. That's just throwing money away. So high end coffee will never be worth it to me regardless of my financial situation. Bringing it back to cars...LSD, torque vectoring, etc. might be your coffee...you just don't care for it. But for other things like larger wheels, upgraded stereo, etc., you have to factor in your financial situation.
+1

But if it were me, and I won $100 million tomorrow, I wouldn't bother with a $3K CF engine cover. My first purchase would probably be something like a 918 Spyder or Ferrari LaFerrari and the second would probably be a house sized garage (along with a new house sized house) to park it in.

But I still wouldn't buy overpriced coffee.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Big difference between need and want. I wanted the active suspension and limited slip. The brogue interior required extended leather and sport seats so why not get what was then the sport package? Next thing you know it's a $95k car. Need or want?

Old 07-15-2015, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
Big difference between need and want. I wanted the active suspension and limited slip. The brogue interior required extended leather and sport seats so why not get what was then the sport package? Next thing you know it's a $95k car. Need or want..?
If you wanted the suspension and the LSD,then I can understand you're wanting the S...but my point is then,at $95K,it's still not an R...just a really loaded up S,which is fine if that's what you're after...it's just not something that would interest ME personally. Again...different strokes for different folks.

There really is no bad combination of models or options here,we all know that,and I'm pretty certain that most all here have the means to dabble in most any motor car they fancy.
Me personally, I'm just getting my feet wet in the brand and I will readily admit I lusted the car on looks alone and so after considerable thought and planning knowing full well I had no plans on tracking the car and in fact,needed to keep the wife driving option open,I have in my garage a base model optioned nicely (and one that I think will have excellent resale value down the road) and what I consider to be a stunning automobile,one that makes me smile each and every day and especially when I'm behind the wheel.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Looks was my first and still primary motivation. My previous SLK55 sorely missed the limited slip and active suspension.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by bjg625
Big difference between need and want. I wanted the active suspension and limited slip. The brogue interior required extended leather and sport seats so why not get what was then the sport package? Next thing you know it's a $95k car. Need or want?
I had originally planned to get an S with AWD, TVB, and all the performance options that were available. The performance options and convertible trim was my need (as a minimum configuration.) My want was a good internal/external color combination (IRR or Polaris White on either Suedecloth or Duotone Red), vision pack, black pack, and performance seats.

I ended up with the R since that was the only car I could find among the local dealers that had all the options I wanted and in an interior/exterior color combo that I was happy with. The dealer I was working with was aware that I was originally shopping the S so I got an amazing price on the car. Price wise, since I had already planned for a fully optioned S, I wasn't in sticker shock over the difference since it came with every performance option I wanted already and I got a lot more car for a relatively small delta in price.

I was a bit bummed that I didn't get IRR or Suedecloth or the Black Pack, but I got all my needs and most of my wants.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Merlin
I had originally planned to get an S with AWD, TVB, and all the performance options that were available. The performance options and convertible trim was my need (as a minimum configuration.) My want was a good internal/external color combination (IRR or Polaris White on either Suedecloth or Duotone Red), vision pack, black pack, and performance seats.

I ended up with the R since that was the only car I could find among the local dealers that had all the options I wanted and in an interior/exterior color combo that I was happy with. The dealer I was working with was aware that I was originally shopping the S so I got an amazing price on the car. Price wise, since I had already planned for a fully optioned S, I wasn't in sticker shock over the difference since it came with every performance option I wanted already and I got a lot more car for a relatively small delta in price.

I was a bit bummed that I didn't get IRR or Suedecloth or the Black Pack, but I got all my needs and most of my wants.

Trust me having seen this car in person...it's one stunning automobile...and a great decision/no brainer on your part.

The following users liked this post:
Merlin (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 09:28 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Interestingly, one of the things that attracted me to the F-type in the first place (after the looks) was the availability of 340/380HP, which I think is a bit of sweet spot. Plenty of power, but not an insane amount (in my opinion, obviously.) So many new sports cars are in the 500HP range, which I have no interest in.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Merlin
Personally I would never have been happy with the base model. I'd go with the S at least, since I think you otherwise lose out on much of what makes the F-Type special. Heck without the S model I don't think you even get dual zone HVAC.
I'm just jumping in here to say that yes, you do get dual zone HVAC on the base model.

I bought the base model car because, in all honesty, a base model with no options was the only option in my price range. This is by far the nicest (and most expensive) car I've ever owned. I'm completely happy with it and both me and my wife absolutely love the car.

Now, if I could have realistically afforded an R or a loaded S, would I be happy with the base model? Probably not, even though it's the exact same car I love now. It's funny how the want/need thing works in people's minds (mine included).

Old 07-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I could have done either three, but it was a combo of what I really needed vs cost. I settled on a base with Premium, Vision Pack, Climate Pack, Active Exhaust, 19 inch wheels and some carbon fibre exterior accents. I'm very happy with it, part of me still had to be practical with an impractical decision lol.

Quick Reply: base model or s