F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base vs S

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018 | 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

Funnily enough in my first XF (2008 model) I thought the ride was better on 19"s than 18"s. it was a superb ride in that car, though a little body roll in corners. 20"s in my second XF made for better handling but the ride wasnt as good.

Old 08-03-2018 | 07:08 PM

Greetings all!

Ok, as silly as this sounds - I am going to answer my own post. I recently test drove a 2016 Base Coupe (18" wheels) with a manual transmission and a 2015 S Convertible with an automatic transmission (19" wheels). Here is what I picked up from my comparo and please feel free to disagree as I only spent 20 minutes with each car:

1) Ride. The 19" wheels are indeed a bit harsher than the 18" wheels but not by a lot. In my opinion, the difference isn't huge but there is a difference. Subjectively, the car looks much better with the 19" wheels. I am willing to accept the small compromise in ride.
2) Power. This really surprised me: the S did not really "feel" any faster. Perhaps because it's an auto and maybe because the convertible weighs more too. Also, I am coming from a 996TT and this car in general does not feel very fast but that's OK - I am not a speed demon anyway. I definitely prefer the manual and thus I found the base coupe to be far more engaging to drive than the autobox S convertible. I realize that this is not the same sentiment as many journalists but I would ONLY get the manual.
3) Steering feel. This really surprised me as the 2016 Base Coupe is in my opinion, miles ahead of the 2015 S Convertible. I understand that the 2015 has hydraulic steering and the 2016 electric steering and I normally far prefer hydraulic as electric often feels artificial. Perhaps that is the most significant difference between the two cars? In any case, the steering in the 2015 car felt over boosted and a little lifeless in comparison. Again, I read opposite opinions from journalists but I think the later cars (presumably with electric steering) are much better.

In summary, I will be looking for a CPO 2016 or later S coupe with a manual transmission. Unfortunately, they are really hard to find!

Cheers,

Peter

The following users liked this post:
dwmilton (12-17-2020)
Old 08-03-2018 | 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pard
Greetings all!

Ok, as silly as this sounds - I am going to answer my own post. I recently test drove a 2016 Base Coupe (18" wheels) with a manual transmission and a 2015 S Convertible with an automatic transmission (19" wheels). Here is what I picked up from my comparo and please feel free to disagree as I only spent 20 minutes with each car:

1) Ride. The 19" wheels are indeed a bit harsher than the 18" wheels but not by a lot. In my opinion, the difference isn't huge but there is a difference. Subjectively, the car looks much better with the 19" wheels. I am willing to accept the small compromise in ride.
2) Power. This really surprised me: the S did not really "feel" any faster. Perhaps because it's an auto and maybe because the convertible weighs more too. Also, I am coming from a 996TT and this car in general does not feel very fast but that's OK - I am not a speed demon anyway. I definitely prefer the manual and thus I found the base coupe to be far more engaging to drive than the autobox S convertible. I realize that this is not the same sentiment as many journalists but I would ONLY get the manual.
3) Steering feel. This really surprised me as the 2016 Base Coupe is in my opinion, miles ahead of the 2015 S Convertible. I understand that the 2015 has hydraulic steering and the 2016 electric steering and I normally far prefer hydraulic as electric often feels artificial. Perhaps that is the most significant difference between the two cars? In any case, the steering in the 2015 car felt over boosted and a little lifeless in comparison. Again, I read opposite opinions from journalists but I think the later cars (presumably with electric steering) are much better.

In summary, I will be looking for a CPO 2016 or later S coupe with a manual transmission. Unfortunately, they are really hard to find!

Cheers,

Peter
I believe your assessment is fairly accurate, but many will try to argue the hydraulic vs electric steering issue.

Old 08-03-2018 | 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I believe your assessment is fairly accurate, but many will try to argue the hydraulic vs electric steering issue.
Steering is a matter of what one is used to in my opinion. The electric steering assist on the F-Type is very good (not excellent), For the last 3 weeks, BMW gave me a 540ix Sportsline to evaluate and provide feedback. On my very first ride I was horrified by the steering. The electric assist was way too sensitive and the road feel was below average. It took me a few days to deal with it. Of course when I got in the F-Type afterwards I was feeling 100X more like I was driving a race car compared to the BMW.
I have a fairly large car collection that often it takes me time to adjust to how they turn and brake. I drive 2014/15 F-Type when they get out of the shop, the steering is excellent as well, it's different but I can't say light years behind for sure.

To master driving an F-Type takes time, you will find that the accelerator helps you immensely in turns, you can easily go from oversteer to understeer when you like. Personally I am partial to AWD snce it's rear biased anyway and you can abuse the car a tad more in turns.

Old 08-04-2018 | 01:59 AM

Many Base F-Types were sold with optional 19s, and of course you can always buy a Base model and switch to aftermarket or Jaguar OEM 19s.

dwmilton (12-17-2020)
Old 08-05-2018 | 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

most reviewers say the hydraulic steering is better but on the F type, I didn't feel much of a difference between the two to be honest.....I think they did a pretty good job on the F type's change to electric. I'd suspect that Pard's experience had more to do with the difference in tires, wheels and supension than it did with electric vs. hydraulic. Tire pressure can make a noticeable difference too.

YMMV
Dave

Old 08-05-2018 | 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

I've driven hydraulic and electric. To be honest I liked the steering in both, though I was "sold" on the car when I drove one with electric, and the steering and transmission were really what I noticed the most.

I agree that the f type 6 doesnt "feel" all that fast. I think it is a lot faster than it feels, and as mine gets more use it is feeling livelier with a lot more stepping out and loss of traction. It is pretty much as quick as my XKR was - if not quicker - but the XKR felt faster and less controlled.

Old 08-06-2018 | 09:31 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

The V6S has Dynamic Mode, which firms up the steering among other things. Optional on the V6 Base, I think, depending on year.

Old 08-06-2018 | 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJS
The V6S has Dynamic Mode, which firms up the steering among other things. Optional on the V6 Base, I think, depending on year.
My 2018 base model has Dynamic Mode as well as Sport Mode and Rain/Ice/Snow.
I chose the base model over the S after test driving both and making the decision on a value per dollar basis. I did not see that the S offered enough for the approx. $10K price premium. If I want more power, I'll go the tune route. That's a decision I've not yet confronted cuz I don't have the required break-in miles (2K), so I don't even know the car's capabilities. So far I like what it offers.

Old 08-06-2018 | 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

I think the base models have Dyamic mode as standard but the "S" Dynamic mode has some extra bells and whistles which can be configured like the suspension (and possibly steering) setting.

Old 08-06-2018 | 11:25 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I think the base models have Dyamic mode as standard but the "S" Dynamic mode has some extra bells and whistles which can be configured like the suspension (and possibly steering) setting.
At some point, it became standard on the base, but it wasn't originally.

Old 08-06-2018 | 12:42 PM

It all depends on the deal you can get on the base. I have seen base F Types for under $40k, with the best deal I ever saw was a base convertible with 16k miles for $36k. Performance wise, I think everything else can be easily modded (exhaust, tune, wheels, lowering springs) except for the LSD. I think personally if I was buying used I would go with an R over the S or just get the base and mod it. I just love how the R sounds and the premium for a used R over a loaded S is not that much.

Old 08-06-2018 | 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
most reviewers say the hydraulic steering is better but on the F type, I didn't feel much of a difference between the two to be honest.....I think they did a pretty good job on the F type's change to electric. I'd suspect that Pard's experience had more to do with the difference in tires, wheels and supension than it did with electric vs. hydraulic. Tire pressure can make a noticeable difference too.

YMMV
Dave
I was pleasantly surprised when I drove the FType withe the electric steering, for the first time. Was much better than I expected.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 08-10-2018 | 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chenthu
This will be a weekend car at best, no tracking, nothing crazy - just a fun car. So any thoughts on base vs S?
- SB
I have some incredibly strong opinions about the base vs S, and they actually offended someone, even tho it's just my opinion. I'm a bit reckless and grandiose with my words, so I can see why, but I hated the S vs my base.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...stions-206343/

In that thread, I go over it.... I won't open up the wounds in this thread too, but all I can say is that there is a distinct and huge difference in the sounds of those two cars.
For a muscle car lover, the S works. Surely better performance w/ the LSD and brakes.

For a GT, the base is all you need, and it is more elegant with the exhaust notes, vs, as I said, the "S" sounding like someone blowing bubbles in the mud. I just really disliked the S sound.

But that's anecdotal, so 100% test both. Also, the options in the car make huge differences (to me) about how much you will like it and think of it as your own.

Old 08-10-2018 | 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Unc,
I don’t believe you offended anyone. You just have your own opinion. If everyone wanted the same thing, they wouldn’t offer menus in restaurants.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
dwmilton (12-17-2020), Uncle Fishbits (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018 | 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Can anyone confirm... I own the base, but drove that S loaner. The bells and whistles seemed like complete gimmicks, and not substantive. Can anyone debunk that comment by explaining why they are worthwhile? I fooled around for a whole of 25 seconds with them, then realized it was pretty silly. Let me know how I am wrong!

Old 08-10-2018 | 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Unc,
I don’t believe you offended anyone. You just have your own opinion. If everyone wanted the same thing, they wouldn’t offer menus in restaurants.
I am SUPER not worried about it.

LOL

Old 08-10-2018 | 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Can anyone confirm... I own the base, but drove that S loaner. The bells and whistles seemed like complete gimmicks, and not substantive. Can anyone debunk that comment by explaining why they are worthwhile? I fooled around for a whole of 25 seconds with them, then realized it was pretty silly. Let me know how I am wrong!
There are gimmicks on my S? Haven’t checked them out yet. Like the heated seats and wheel. Like the parking sensors and backup camera. Like the third pedal on the floor. What else is there?

Uncle Fishbits (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018 | 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

There are gimmicks on my S? Haven’t checked them out yet. Like the heated seats and wheel. Like the parking sensors and backup camera. Like the third pedal on the floor. What else is there?

Well said. The heated seats and wheel are nice, but they added cooled seats after my model year and I would kill for those.

Prior to "getting" the car, I thought the safety stuff.... lane warning, backup camera, auto wipers, auto high beam should all be standard, due to blind spots, on the coupe if not the vert. After that loaner, I get why they are options. The dual zone climate, as per the other thread, is a nice add on I didn't even realize I was getting. It's great for wifey and I's different opinions on "comfort"

Comment on the OP test drive post....

I, personally, felt the "S" AT difference of power vs my MT base. I *know* it was edit *NOT* the extra 40hp, because as I understand, that extra 40hp doesn't show up until past just about 4500 RPM?

Was that feeling of power difference I anecdotally felt a) the LSD, b) the shitty Pirelli Tires chirping and spinning off the line, or c) the slight bit more torque in general, or d) the automatic transmission vs my manual?

I am not saying it was a massive amount, but I feel that there was something that would lead people to believe that extra 40hp was noticeable. What would that have been?

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 08-11-2018 at 05:38 PM.
dwmilton (12-17-2020)
Old 08-10-2018 | 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

Uncle, what you felt was b & d.

dwmilton (12-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Base vs S