Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Battery

Is there a consensus on best value replacement battery, after 10.5 years my is acting up! Low mileage.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
Is there a consensus on best value replacement battery, after 10.5 years my is acting up! Low mileage.

I just stopped by Walmart and got an H7 AGM battery (this model made in south korea) Installed it, put in the vapor line and then reset the windows... Had to run the hatch up and down for the button to work again.... I ran a heavy string to the emergency pull on the hatch from the front seat, just in case it didn't come back up by itself... Was just a little nervous to have it down and not get it open easily if it didn't reset... but that's just me....

The following 2 users liked this post by rtmyers1:
Chuckster (04-30-2024), Valerie Stabenow (02-07-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 10:05 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

That’s impressive. I changed mine after 7 years, though it was still going strong. I got the Duralast Platinum AGM at Autozone, $199 back then. Be sure to inspect the new battery; when I was ready to install it, I discovered the case was cracked near one of the terminals. I didn’t enjoy lifting it back into the trunk, but had no problem swapping it for a good one. No issues since then.

Yes, put something over the trunk latch just to be safe. You should be able to open the trunk by connecting a battery to the front jump terminals if the trunk closes while the battery is out, but don’t risk it. (It’s a convertible, based on its age.)

Last edited by DJS; 01-31-2024 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:03 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

And make sure it's fully charged when you install it!

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
Carbuff2 (02-01-2024), uncheel (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

You're well past due. I replaced mine preemptively at 7 years. It can be a real pain to deal with a flat battery. Undoubtedly it will happen on a cold rainy night away from home with no immediate way to access the trunk. It's not worth pushing it to the limit.

I replaced the original with an Interstate battery from Costco ($211). Installation was easy enough. The space is tight, and the battery is heavy, but not a big deal.
As mentioned above, you'll have to reset the auto up/down on the windows.

1. Close the window fully.
2. Release the switch, then lift it to the close position and hold for 2 seconds.
3. Open the window fully.
4. Release the switch, then push it to the open position and hold for 2 seconds.
5. Lift and release the switch to operate the one-touch function.
6. Repeat the procedure on each window.

Last edited by uncheel; 02-02-2024 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When installing a new battery in the F Type does the computer need to be rest like some German cars so it knows that there is a new battery ?
I read in BMW the new battery will overcharge if not reset.

Old 02-06-2024, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantomf4collector
When installing a new battery in the F Type does the computer need to be rest like some German cars so it knows that there is a new battery ?
I read in BMW the new battery will overcharge if not reset.
In theory yes but in practice no.
JLR say that the Battery Management System (BMS) must be "told" (via SDD or Pathfinder or some other tool) that a new battery has been fitted for it (the BMS) to work properly, but many hundreds of Jag owners have found that after 5 or 6 drive cycles the BMS resets itself anyway.
I fitted new batteries to my old 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR and had zero problems after doing nothing, I haven't yet fitted a new battery to my F-Type but when I do I will see if my iCarsoft LR V2.0 can/will reset the BMS but I won't be fussed if it can't.

The following users liked this post:
scm (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 02:51 AM
scm
Veteran Member

My theory (which I possess and is mine but is based on no evidence whatever) is to fully charge the old battery before doing the swap and making sure the new one is also fully charged when you install it, then the BMS should be fooled into think that nothing has changed. My battery is coming up to 7 years old this summer so I may have an opportunity to try this.

jcb-memphis (05-01-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
My theory (which I possess and is mine but is based on no evidence whatever) is to fully charge the old battery before doing the swap and making sure the new one is also fully charged when you install it, then the BMS should be fooled into think that nothing has changed. My battery is coming up to 7 years old this summer so I may have an opportunity to try this.
Nice theory but if the old battery is able to be fully charged why would you bother scrapping it?

What may work instead as a tweak to your theory (assuming the old battery is knackered and can't be fully recharged) is to measure the state of charge of the old battery then somehow bring the new battery down to the same level, swap batteries, then fully charge the newly installed one.
Maybe I could try that, my battery is coming up on 10 years old (original OEM battery still) and I have had a new battery sitting on the garage bench for some three years now. That battery regularly drops to around 68% charged (coz just sitting there with no alternator to perk it up) so I regularly whack my tender/maintainer on it to charge it up again, although it only ever gets to 98%.

Of course I am only half serious about this idea but who knows it could work!

Old 02-07-2024, 03:16 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Nice theory but if the old battery is able to be fully charged why would you bother scrapping it?
My thinking is that it may be fully charged but can't hold it for long ....

jcb-memphis (05-01-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 01:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but is this the Duralast AGM battery that seems to be a suitable replacement for the OEM one? Coming up on 7 years without a replacement on mine.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...agm/319458_0_0

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2024, 01:45 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

No, you want the H8 size - I put this is mine a couple of years ago.
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...agm/319459_0_0

Make sure to inspect the battery. When I got around to installing mine, I discovered the case was cracked and had to exchange it. AZ said that wasn’t unusual.

Old 04-30-2024, 04:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks!!

Old 05-01-2024, 08:34 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I put a new battery in my Mazda CX 5 last year at the four year old mark just as a preventive measure. I went with an Everstart brand from Walmart which I suspect is made by the same company that provides them to Autozone. I also upgraded to an AGM type. The battery had a sticker on it indicating that it was manufactured the month prior. But to be on the safe side, I hooked it up to my CTEK unit before installing it. The CTEK went through the usual process and took about 6 hours before showing that the new battery was fully charged.

My understanding is that it is always prudent to fully charge a new battery before installing it regardless of how 'fresh" it appears to be from the manufacturing date on the battery label. In the past several vehicles I owned conventional lead acid auto batteries never gave me more than about 4 years before failing. And they failed suddenly and without warning unlike decades ago when you would notice the starter turning a little slower and then think "yep, looks like it's time for a new battery". I have never kept a car on a battery maintainer like a CTEK before and am keeping my fingers crossed that I do get 6 or 7 years out of the AGM battery in my 2021 F Type.

Old 05-01-2024, 03:53 PM
scm
Veteran Member

My MY18 (build date March 2017) is still on its original battery, and apparently doing fine. Hope I haven't jinxed it now!

peppersam740 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Just replaced mine. It is at least eight and maybe ten years old. Jag dealer I bought the car used from said they replaced the battery right before I picked it up but I didn't believe it at the time.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:55 PM
Received 257 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Just replaced mine. It is at least eight and maybe ten years old. Jag dealer I bought the car used from said they replaced the battery right before I picked it up but I didn't believe it at the time.
They probably did....they charge like 800 retail, warranty is probably 1/2 that so 400..so still a decent profit....at least if I was a dealer I would do this for my customers as a means to optimize my business....both financially and in terms of happy customers. Win Win.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:49 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
They probably did....they charge like 800 retail, warranty is probably 1/2 that so 400..so still a decent profit....at least if I was a dealer I would do this for my customers as a means to optimize my business....both financially and in terms of happy customers. Win Win.
Not sure the customers would be happy if they had to pay!

Old 05-02-2024, 12:16 PM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
My MY18 (build date March 2017) is still on its original battery, and apparently doing fine. Hope I haven't jinxed it now!
I have a MY18, as well, and believed everything was going great until I got stranded in Costco's parking lot [last summer] without any warning that my battery was under-performing [had it hooked up to a maintainer 24/7]. Had to get the car towed home and then replaced the battery [Interstate from Costco for about $189.] as installing was a minor pain but straight forward. No need to re-set anything.

If I were you, I'd replace your battery before you have to deal with what I did. Fortunately, I was stranded on a beautiful evening in a huge parking lot with no other cars within 100 feet of me. I also have AAA so the flatbed tow truck was able to take care of business with great care and in a highly professional manner. I got lucky.

DJS (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 03:01 PM
Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Synthesis.....

Synthesis,
I read your post. I have a 2017 F-Type R and since it's purchase the car has always been hooked up to a battery tender 24/7. Reading your post, you've convinced me that I should change the original battery at this point in time. I am however not that handy with the automotive hands on aspect for my car. Can you or anyone else please point out exactly where in the back trunk the battery is located. And if there's any picture or link you can provide which will show some pictures for accessing the battery I would sincerely appreciate it. I don't want to be up a creek without a paddle so to speak. Better safe than sorry so I will also change my battery. Thank you for your reply.
Roberto

Last edited by Supersprint Sport Exhausts; 05-02-2024 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery