F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery at 5.5v after on charger!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 08:57 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default battery at 5.5v after on charger!

I bought my first f-type a few weeks ago. A week ago, I needed to travel to CO for a week for a work project, so I figured I'd do what I do with all my cars and motorcycles (my moto guzzi is very sensitive to battery amperage), put the f-type on a charger and leave it while I'm away. I came back yesterday to a battery that was waaay beyond dead. The charger (not a jaguar charger) read 5.5v. I had it connected to the terminals in the engine bay, and this charger is supposed to fully charge, then change to a trickle charge. I've never had this happen on any other vehicle.
Is it possible the charger being connected to those terminals kept one of the computers awake, causing it to drain the battery after the charger switched to trickle charge? Or that one of the computers just stayed awake on it's own?
I've had the charger on battery reconditioning mode and then charging since last night, and it seems to be charging well, but I'll have to wait and see if the battery can even hold the charge after being drained that far beyond dead.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I always use the terminals under the hood to connect a trickle charger. Never had that happen. What is the capacity of your charger in trickle mode? Maybe the car stayed awake and overwhelmed the charger.

BTW my F-Type raises my adrenaline level too.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:30 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 1,120 Posts

The only time I've had an issue was when one (or more) of my modules got stuck on and drained the battery. That happened in under 24 hours after I'd fully charged the battery, and the car reported "flat battery" to the Incontrol team, who phoned me to let me know. Got a man out to jump start the car, took it for a one hour drive and put it on the CTEK overnight and it's been fine ever since. The symptoms I experienced was that the journey logging stopped working and the car reported "no SOS available" everytime I started up.

Good luck with sorting it out!

Old 06-30-2019, 02:30 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys. A module staying alive is what I was thinking. I'll have to check the trickle amperage on my charger and get one that's stronger. I have a tpms system error now, so I'll have get that reset when I take it in for an A/C system repair (compressor switch or something like that) and a reprogram to fix an inconsistent cold start idle CEL. I've had this car for two weeks and already more problems than my turbo miata had in over 13 years of driving it like I stole it.