F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery charger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 11:41 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I connected the positive lead to the terminal to the left of where Foosh showed for two reasons. First, the ring connector for the Battery Tender plus was too big for that terminal but fit perfectly on the one to the left. Also, the wire was too short to exit out of the cut in the plastic box unless the leftmost terminal was used. Otherwise, it works fine. I charge it every weekend.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:47 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckingham
I connected the positive lead to the terminal to the left of where Foosh showed for two reasons. First, the ring connector for the Battery Tender plus was too big for that terminal but fit perfectly on the one to the left. Also, the wire was too short to exit out of the cut in the plastic box unless the leftmost terminal was used. Otherwise, it works fine. I charge it every weekend.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Default Here's where I'm going to connect mine...

The following users liked this post:
Buckingham (09-15-2017)
Old 09-11-2016, 06:02 PM

Perfect. See how the positive can now fit through the cutout so you can close the plastic cover neatly.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting a Battery Tender to my 2017 F-Type R

Hoping someone can help. I opened the truck battery compartment and I could not find a similar layout to the previous posted responses (see photos). I have a new 2017 F-Type R with 700 miles on it. I read this forum and purchased a CTEK MUS 4.3 to get rid of the annoying "Battery Low - Start Engine Now" when I first get in the car. Any suggestions where to connect the wiring harness?

Attached Thumbnails Battery charger?-img_0421.jpg   Battery charger?-img_0420.jpg   Battery charger?-img_0419.jpg  
Old 09-01-2017, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by LtColDave
Hoping someone can help. I opened the truck battery compartment and I could not find a similar layout to the previous posted responses (see photos). I have a new 2017 F-Type R with 700 miles on it. I read this forum and purchased a CTEK MUS 4.3 to get rid of the annoying "Battery Low - Start Engine Now" when I first get in the car. Any suggestions where to connect the wiring harness?
If the vehicle is new, get the dealership to fix the Low Battery issue first. Then use the CTEK.

LtColDave (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by amr42
If the vehicle is new, get the dealership to fix the Low Battery issue first. Then use the CTEK.
You assume that there is a battery drain issue, but this is probably not the case. Unless the car is used almost daily, and for significantly long runs, the battery voltage will naturally drop below the threshold that triggers the warning.You can check all the threads on this issue on the XK (X150) list - Jaguar instituted the "start engine" warning as a response to complaints about random electronic issues, all caused by low battery voltage.
I would fit the CTEK first, allow it to fully charge the battery (this can take more than 24 hours) and then use it whenever the car is not actually being driven. If in that circumstance the warning keeps coming up, then it becomes a dealer issue - but not until the battery has been brought to full charge.

LtColDave (09-02-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 10:21 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Most of us have no issue with the car sitting for a week or more. Some have control modules that won't go to sleep after the OBD2 port has been used, requiring the battery to be disconnected to reboot.

LtColDave (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 07:49 AM

Appreciate the comments. Still confused how to connect the CTEK. The layout is different than the photos Foosh and amr42 posted. I don't see the box that contains the electrical bus bar to connect the positive. I looked on the owner info site, but didn't see any electrical schematics. Any suggestions where to look?

Old 09-02-2017, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

If you're stuck you can always use the engine bay charging posts, or even hook up a permanent pig tail connection like I did, see here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post1710314

Old 09-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Default Connecting a Battery Tender to my 2017 F-Type R

Originally Posted by DJS
Most of us have no issue with the car sitting for a week or more. Some have control modules that won't go to sleep after the OBD2 port has been used, requiring the battery to be disconnected to reboot.
Do you know what the OBD2 port is used for? After the car was delivered, I drove it 10 days without a problem. Had the NH state inspection done on the 10th day and after that I had the battery low light come on the next morning. I still will install the battery tender in the trunk somehow, but I want to explain the situation better to the service department.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by LtColDave
Do you know what the OBD2 port is used for? After the car was delivered, I drove it 10 days without a problem. Had the NH state inspection done on the 10th day and after that I had the battery low light come on the next morning. I still will install the battery tender in the trunk somehow, but I want to explain the situation better to the service department.
Don't bother explaining it to the service department, none of them have figured it out yet. Be certain to include exact model and year in your signature block so that we can give additional suggestions, but in the mean time, just disconnect the battery for 15 seconds. That will solve the problem (by rebooting the battery control module) until the next state inspection or dealer access to the OBDII port.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-03-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Default Low Battery Issue

Originally Posted by DJS
DJS,

Appreciate the help. I disconnected the battery as suggested and put the CTEK on for 24 hours. Problem solved. I still don't know how to connect the pigtails since the 2017 layout appears to be different than those that gave wiring directions, but at least the warning message is gone.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:47 AM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by amr42
I hooked up mine similar to this but the positive wire i connected across the yellow wire. Is that fine?

Also, i noticed a couple sparks when i connected the positive terminal, and heard some clicking come from the trunk when i got the sparks. the car is charging fine now but i guess i'm just being paranoid and hoping for some reassurance that i didn't mess something up and that everything is fine.

Last edited by abhishriv; 12-05-2017 at 08:51 AM.
RideTheLightning (12-24-2019)
Old 12-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Default Charger

Yes the yellow terminal will work but, the ring connector is a bit big for the yellow screw but perfect for the red as shown. Also, on the yellow, there is not enough slack to get the wire through the cut without the fuse getting in the way.
Should not be any sparks unless you shorted something and may have blown a fuse.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Buckingham
Yes the yellow terminal will work but, the ring connector is a bit big for the yellow screw but perfect for the red as shown. Also, on the yellow, there is not enough slack to get the wire through the cut without the fuse getting in the way.
Should not be any sparks unless you shorted something and may have blown a fuse.
oh good god i hope not.... i guess theres only one way to find out... will have to start her up again and see if i get any lights on the dash....

Old 12-05-2017, 03:09 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

While you had the nut loose, you probably had an intermittent connection to whatever circuit is powered by the yellow wire, so minor sparks would be a possibility before it was tightened.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
While you had the nut loose, you probably had an intermittent connection to whatever circuit is powered by the yellow wire, so minor sparks would be a possibility before it was tightened.
So would this mess anything up?

Could it be because while i was trying to tighten the nut, the negative (black) wire was moving around touching other parts?

Old 12-05-2017, 03:17 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I assume this is a pigtail you're attaching, without the charger connected? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. It's been 4 years since I installed mine, so I don't recall if I got any sparks. But that bus bar is live, so sparks wouldn't surprise me.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
I assume this is a pigtail you're attaching, without the charger connected? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. It's been 4 years since I installed mine, so I don't recall if I got any sparks. But that bus bar is live, so sparks wouldn't surprise me.
yes the pigtails, and no it wasnt connected to the outlet. ok thank god.

Quick Reply: Battery charger?