F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

To everyone hard-wiring chargers.....

I do not advise using those nuts that bolt down the large gauge wires to connect the charger terminal. You're compromising the conductivity of that connection by reducing the contact surface area, and therefore the current carrying capacity (and tiny resistance) of that connection by putting a small ring connector underneath the nut. Having the charger connected at that point is completely unnecessary because the charger is supplying very low current. Nearly all current for the vehicle systems flows through that point, and ohm's law is a thing... Why create even a tiny volt drop.

If you insist on using those major junction points, then add another nut on top to hold the ring terminal, leaving the existing nut fully in contact with the terminal as designed.

OR

ANY one of the many smaller connection points along the positive bar, and ANY ground in the trunk is a better choice than reducing the quality of the connection at those larger points.

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 12-06-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:05 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello,

I just own an F-Type R 2020 and my response is related to the first post of LtColDave

concerning the emplacement of the well known battery fusebox, as I also had problems
to find it in the new design to install the Jaguar trickle starter kit.
The Jaguar description has no use, as it is from 2013.
But it is very simple. You must first unscrew the damper control box, with 3 nuts as indicated.
Just let it ly on the bottom for the time.
After this is a metallic holder of the damper box, that piece is attached with 4 other nuts.
And after removing this 4 nuts and the metallic part, appears the plastic battery fusebox
with the connections that we know. Opens the same way as the old one.

And after connection your + wire, just necessary to screw everything back.
Note that in my version, the gray fusebox disappers and moved behind left panel and a trap.
But no concern here.
Second problem, to fix the socket provided in the kit. Problem, you dont get behind the side
panels without heavy operation in the trunk, moving out all side panels. Not my choice.

The middle panel with luggage place removes very easy, as it also cover the main battery.
On the left back side is enough place to make a hole for the socket, but vertical.
Just dig a 18mm round cut with center about 6cm from both left and back border, there is place
and also easy reachable and not in the way. You dont need the metallic part here delivred with
the kit, as this panel is about 4mm in thickness.

Greetings

Armand

Old 01-01-2020, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Welp, went to connect my trusty Ctek charger today and the electrical box on the North American (apparently compared to Philippines version in previous post) 2020 F Type R has yet another layout. Since it's different than my prior F Type, I wanted to ask for advice before wiring it up:

Old 01-01-2020, 06:04 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

That's the same layout as my MY18. I'll be Interested to hear the answers, too, I've been just using the clips to connect so far.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:41 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Welp, went to connect my trusty Ctek charger today and the electrical box on the North American (apparently compared to Philippines version in previous post) 2020 F Type R has yet another layout. Since it's different than my prior F Type, I wanted to ask for advice before wiring it up:

MY19, areas circled in white.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:17 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati

Hi,
if it is me that you mention, I am not from Philippines but from Europe, Luxembourg, between Germany and France. And my car was in stock at a german dealer. I think the design of this fuse box is always pretty the same, but that in recent modelyear it was hided behind another control box, this for the convertible where they wanted to create more space in the trunk. Also the bottle of the tire repair kit moved to a bag together with the air compressor and the towing eyelet. But the connector of the red + charging cable is always (best) on the copper bar opposite to the yellow cable.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I still can't believe no-one else has done what I did, see here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post1710314
Absolutely guaranteed to work perfectly on all F-Types regardless of year or model.
Can't find it now but I updated that post with one further tweak - I simply tucked the pigtail end up under the very front edge of the hood/bonnet, in the gap between it and the plastic lining underneath, it sits nice and snug in there until I want to use it then I fish it out in 2 seconds flat with a fingertip. Then I connect up my battery tender, no need to open the hood/bonnet or anything else and no need to even unlock the car, no fuss no muss!

Last edited by OzXFR; 01-02-2020 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help please

Originally Posted by Foosh
I use the Battery Tender Plus, which is also highly-rated and probably less expensive. Below is a photo of the hook-up on my car which charges both batteries. This is per JLR wiring instructions for the battery tender they used to offer.

Remove the recessed tray in your trunk, and this is what you'll see. The red (+) lead is attached opposite the yellow wire in the photo, and the black/ground (-) lead is attached to the car's grounding cable directly below. You can then replace the tray and leave the plug-in lead (pig-tail) exposed in the trunk compartment. It's very convenient to just open the trunk plug it in, and the trunk will close over the power cord. This installation takes less than 10 minutes.

So, when I remove the tray, the only thing I see is a battery. Is it behind the battery????

Old 05-29-2023, 08:09 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Those pictures are of the coupe. Do you have a convertible?

Old 05-29-2023, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Those pictures are of the coupe. Do you have a convertible?
yes, 2016 base convertible. Thanks for getting back to me

Old 05-29-2023, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Carlisle Owen
yes, 2016 base convertible. Thanks for getting back to me
2017. sorry,

Old 05-29-2023, 12:26 PM
scm
Veteran Member

I think on the convertible that wiring is tucked away behind the licence plate area of the trunk. Maybe someone with a convertible can confirm? Or make me out to be an idiot!