F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery drained due to OBD port

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add.. I have a 2014 base. I have had a vyncs.com module on mine for about a year. (GPS tracking and reads codes, etc)
I have not had the battery issue, yet. But now I know what to do.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:26 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

My turn to chime in

I can personally verify that MY 2017 F-Types are not immune to this ongoing cluster! Yesterday, I returned from the dealer to get a simple PA State Inspection/Emissions, and sure enough, my hazard and door unlock buttons remained illuminated well after locking the car in my garage. Luckily, I contacted our in-house expert Unhingd and he walked me through the process of rebooting the battery--I'm a slow learner, right Unhingd LOL! After the reboot, the hazard and door unlock buttons went off a couple of minutes after locking the car. Thanks Unhingd!

Apparently, the dealer needed to access the OBDII for the emissions. B/c I was on top of this issue, I knew right away that the car wasn't going to sleep b/c they accessed the OBDII port. I too am amazed that JLR has not been able to successfully address this issue! My car's build date as per the driver's door jam notes 11/16 (although my invoice from yesterday notes a production date of 12/5/16???). Perhaps this "Enhancement Letter" which has worked for Unhingd may do the trick, but I find it hard to believe my car would not have been updated given its relatively new build date???

Old 08-10-2017, 05:57 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

This is a real puzzle. My late build 2016 has never had this particular problem and dealer service, including plugging in the OBD, has not caused any problems. I still do not think the charging system ever gets the battery fully charged, though.
Larry

Old 08-10-2017, 06:46 AM

So this is the BS I get from my dealer after I complained no one got back to me yesterday as a courtesy:

I talked with both of my shop foremen and they have not heard of an instance where plugging something into the obd II port would wreck havoc on the electrical system. The "Jaguar vehicle enhancement program" letter you received does not address such concerns you might be having. Most new Jaguar vehicles have received this letter and we typically perform software updates to certain modules if there are updates available. There is most likely another issue.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:17 AM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Show them this letter in Post #22, bunch of morons I tell ya. This is one of the main reasons I am leaving Jaguar.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-163671/page2/

The following users liked this post:
Kief (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by RawwR
Show them this letter in Post #22, bunch of morons I tell ya. This is one of the main reasons I am leaving Jaguar.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-163671/page2/
"Go the f**k to sleep"

Not to sound like a moron myself, but how would this letter help my situation?

God, first I come across your replaced differential, and now this. I certainly hope I didn't make a mistake coming back!! j/k, so far so good, but....

Attached Thumbnails battery drained due to OBD port-battery-letter.jpg  
Old 08-10-2017, 10:33 AM

Per the letter these technicians contacted "Jaguar Engineering" maybe your dealership should do some research or keep their heads in the sand.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:20 PM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

I asked my dealer about the "Jaguar vehicle enhancement program" to fix my OBD-II problem and they had zero idea what the "Jaguar vehicle enhancement program" was even after showing them the letter. So unfortunately I am still living with the problem.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:17 PM

Per the letter these technicians contacted "Jaguar Engineering" maybe your dealership should do some research or keep their heads in the sand.
I gotta pick my battles carefully this early in the game...besides, your letter wouldn't help prove my case since it states after not plugging anything in, the car went to sleep as normal. It wasn't until they tried again with your radar detector plugged into the OBDII port that the car never went "the f**k to sleep!" LOL

In my case, why didn't my car go to sleep when nothing was plugged in?

Like I said, I have to pick my battles. This was an easy fix for me to do myself, and hopefully it will only have to be done once a year following my annual service. Although, I will be sure to test and see if the car goes to sleep before leaving the dealership next time!

Old 08-10-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I asked my dealer about the "Jaguar vehicle enhancement program" to fix my OBD-II problem and they had zero idea what the "Jaguar vehicle enhancement program" was even after showing them the letter. So unfortunately I am still living with the problem.
So even with the letter in hand, they did nothing to your car?

Old 08-11-2017, 01:21 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Wondering why I never got an enhancement letter? (King of the threadjackers strikes again ) Build date 1/16, in service date 2/4/17.
zmoothg, are you going to BMCD?

Old 10-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

with regards to the obd port issue I definitely know mine will not go to sleep after anything is plugged into the port. Discovered after borrowing friends diagnostic kit.
luckily I found this thread so performed the reset

What I am curious about though and I haven't found an answer for as yet. If a wifi or Bluetooth diagnostic chip is plugged into the port and the battery module is then reset with the chip still plugged into the port will the it still go to sleep or will it only fully reset when there is nothing plugged into the port
Anyone know

Old 10-28-2017, 02:13 AM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Just adding to the list... I frequently plug an OBD device, a couple times a week, with key on engine off, and have not encountered this problem. 15 R coupe. I do not leave it plugged in all the time. I use it and then unplug it.

Before unplugging I hit "end communications" on the tool. Maybe that's relavant?

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 10-28-2017 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
Just adding to the list... I frequently plug an OBD device, a couple times a week, with key on engine off, and have not encountered this problem. 15 R coupe. I do not leave it plugged in all the time. I use it and then unplug it.

Before unplugging I hit "end communications" on the tool. Maybe that's relavant?

I've owned a 2015 and currently have a 2016. These are my experiences, the 2015 I installed a dash cam drawing power from the rear fuse panel. The 2015 would not go to hibernate due to sensing a current draw. I was successful tapping power from the start stop battery. The 2016 I plugged my Valentine 1 radar detector into the OBD port and it would not hibernate. To resolve all my issues I have a cigarette lighter splitter in the center console to power the dash cam and radar detector, all issues resolved no thanks to Jaguar.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:15 PM

all issues resolved no thanks to Jaguar.
The story of so many of our lives here!! Thank God for this forum!

Old 03-14-2018, 09:55 PM

This happened to me for the first time tonight... I had used the OBD many times before without issue, but now the hazard indicator button isn't going to sleep. Time to disconnect the battery I guess.... Of course it is freezing in the garage....

Old 03-14-2018, 11:00 PM

Ok, so here's what I did and it seemed to "fix" the problem without disconnecting the battery:

First what happened: Checked the car with the OBD (a handheld device with screen), after finished I selected disconnect on screen to end the communication with the car like I always do, then unplugged as usual and turned off ignition. Got out and closed the door. It seemed the car was more lit up than usual to me. Waited a while and the hazard light button never turned off.

I don't know what parts of this are relevant or not relevant, but here's what I did: Opened hood, connected 10 amp charger to jump points. After a few minutes he charger stopped and went into maintain mode, since battery was topped up. With charger still connected, I turned on ignition (charger now went into charge mode due to increased load as expected), I pressed OK on steering wheel for the couple messages (door open, etc), I waited 30 seconds or so, then turned off ignition. Exited car, closed door, didn't lock it. Left car alone for less than 10 minutes (I had set a timer), and the hazard button light was off. Good. Disconnected charger, closed hood, locked car. All seems OK. I'll connected the charger tomorrow and see if it drained based on whether it charges for a while. Like I said I have no idea what if any of this did anything or if I merely got lucky....

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 03-14-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
Ok, so here's what I did and it seemed to "fix" the problem without disconnecting the battery:

First what happened: Checked the car with the OBD (a handheld device with screen), after finished I selected disconnect on screen to end the communication with the car like I always do, then unplugged as usual and turned off ignition. Got out and closed the door. It seemed the car was more lit up than usual to me. Waited a while and the hazard light button never turned off.

I don't know what parts of this are relevant or not relevant, but here's what I did: Opened hood, connected 10 amp charger to jump points. After a few minutes he charger stopped and went into maintain mode, since battery was topped up. With charger still connected, I turned on ignition (charger now went into charge mode due to increased load as expected), I pressed OK on steering wheel for the couple messages (door open, etc), I waited 30 seconds or so, then turned off ignition. Exited car, closed door, didn't lock it. Left car alone for less than 10 minutes (I had set a timer), and the hazard button light was off. Good. Disconnected charger, closed hood, locked car. All seems OK. I'll connected the charger tomorrow and see if it drained based on whether it charges for a while. Like I said I have no idea what if any of this did anything or if I merely got lucky....
Ok...now reduce that process down to 3 steps rather than 3 dozen, and then you've got something. (Much faster to just disconnect the battery, lol) I'm sure there is indeed one step in there that's instrumental to the reset.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:54 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I think your right, not sure what it is but yesterday I was washing the car had all doors and trunk and hood open and at one point switched ignition on without starting the engine to raise the spoiler to clean underneath.
This morning infotainment defaulted to DAB radio on startup I have USB stick set as source so something reset.
so maybe is ignition on without starting engine with or without hood open

Old 03-26-2018, 08:18 AM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Let me chime in here too. I scanned the CEL I got with an Acutron scanner. Yesterday morning and this morning (CEL was Saturday), I got "Battery Low, Please start ignition" warning when I first go to start the car. Forgot about this thread, but remembered vaguely reading about battery drains here. Going to disconnect the battery now. Forums FTW.