F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Issues Following Emissions Testing

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 12:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Battery Issues Following Emissions Testing

I had my car in for emissions on Wednesday, came out today and saw the low battery warning on the dash. A little bit of reading and I find out that Harrisburg Jaguar is incompetent and this appears to be a known issue following connection to the OBDII port.

It’s a convertible and from what I’m reading has two batteries. Everything says disconnect the lead to ground, however mine appears to only have one battery. I disconnected both cables to the battery and put it on a maintainer but when I plug it back in I still have interior lights on and the hazard light stays on.

What am I missing about the convertible that’s different than what I’m seeing for the coupes?

I have both the positive and negative disconnected on the battery and the trunk open so I don’t get locked out or kill the battery.

Thanks!

Last edited by Spyderturbo007; 07-03-2021 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007
I had my car in for emissions on Wednesday, came out today and saw the low battery warning on the dash. A little bit of reading and I find out that Harrisburg Jaguar is incompetent and this appears to be a known issue following connection to the OBDII port.

It’s a convertible and from what I’m reading has two batteries. Everything says disconnect the lead to ground, however mine appears to only have one battery. I disconnected both cables to the battery and put it on a maintainer but when I plug it back in I still have interior lights on and the hazard light stays on.

What am I missing about the convertible that’s different than what I’m seeing for the coupes?

I have both the positive and negative disconnected on the battery and the trunk open so I don’t get locked out or kill the battery.

Thanks!
That hazard indicator light ordinarily stays on for at least 10 minutes. If it doesn’t go off for 30 minutes or more, you have a problem. Otherwise it’s ok. I think you can shorten the time by locking the doors.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:35 AM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

Battery disconnect just clears / resets the offending module from draining further
Your battery is probably still in a stage of semi discharge still . A battery maintainer is going to take a long time to recharge your flat battery as it isn’t really a battery charger. I would just stick at it for another day or two or go buy a charger.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Dirrence you are seeing is model year not convertible vs coupe.
Not sure when it changed from 2 batteries but my 2021 convertible has a single battery.
As above, if battery is really low, best idea is to get a regular charger.
Since already disconnected you may as well leave it that way, but no reason to disconnect in future when charging.
Suggest yo use the charging connections near engine.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Dirrence you are seeing is model year not convertible vs coupe.
Not sure when it changed from 2 batteries but my 2021 convertible has a single battery.
As above, if battery is really low, best idea is to get a regular charger.
Since already disconnected you may as well leave it that way, but no reason to disconnect in future when charging.
Suggest yo use the charging connections near engine.
2016 (US) model year it changed to 1 battery. Only ‘14 & ‘15 had 2.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

I would think that once the car was started, a 45 minute drive would be sufficient to recharge the AGM battery? No charger purchase required.

Check voltage before & after. Then again, the next morning, just to make sure.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:41 PM

Is this the correct charger / maintainer for my convertible?

Amazon Amazon

Old 07-03-2021, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-40-206-5.../dp/B00CD44RQO
No such thing as "the" correct charger/maintainer, most will be perfectly OK, but that particular one has a good reputation and is the choice of many here (but not me!).
In fact many car makers including JLR sell it as their brand of charger, they simply rebadge it and double the price.

The following users liked this post:
Spyderturbo007 (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

This ctek appears to be an update of the one I've had for 6 years and it does exactly what iit is supposed to do.

Old 07-04-2021, 05:52 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

That's the one (two, actually!) I use and have had no issues with them. Can't think the convertible's current needs will be different from the coupe ....

Old 07-07-2021, 07:52 AM

My CTEK is supposed to be delivered today. I'm seeing that people use one of the posts on the distribution block for the power and the ground post on the floor of the trunk for the ground. My convertible doesn't appear to have the ground post where it's accessible. It runs to the side of the car and under some more trim that doesn't appear to be easy to access.

Does anyone have any pictures showing the install on a convertible?

Old 07-07-2021, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

I have a 2021 R-Dynamic 380 convertible.
I connect my CTEK to the terminals under the hood.
My local JLR dealer has all showroom cars connected to those points, not to the trunk battery connections.
I have attached a few photos to help.
You need to drill a small hole inthe large flat positive copper connector to bolt on the CTEK positive ring terminal using a nut/bolt/washer
Before drilling, put some sticky tape and/or plastic around the terminal to collect copper drill filings. It is soft and easy to drill.
Then look for the nearby threaded stud. You attach the negative ring terminal and secure with a washer and nut.
I found that it was easy to cut away enough of the positive terminal red cover to fit the connector.under the large outer cover.
The CTEK connector stub stays in place in the car. It is easily positioned securely.
When you connect the CTEK charger to the stub, you can either leave the hood partially closed (as I saw at the JLR dealer) or run the CTEK cable down a nearby channel to the wheel well and close the hood completely.
I usually close the hood when leaving the car for more than a couple of days.
Hope this helps.

Negative ring terminal attachment

Positive ring terminal attachment

Negative cable taped down

Positive cover closed

CTEK stub ready to connect to charger
type

Last edited by CJSJAG; 07-07-2021 at 08:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-07-2021, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Just make sure you're not trying to mask the battery drain issue with a charger. I just got back from a week and a half vacation and the car started with no issue. No battery problem whatsoever. When I did have the battery drain issue due to an OBDII connection not being terminated correctly, it didn't matter if I drove around for an hour, the battery would die in days. It's not a matter of the car changing itself correctly, it's the constant drain when the connection thinks it's still live.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:30 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Just make sure you're not trying to mask the battery drain issue with a charger. I just got back from a week and a half vacation and the car started with no issue. No battery problem whatsoever. When I did have the battery drain issue due to an OBDII connection not being terminated correctly, it didn't matter if I drove around for an hour, the battery would die in days. It's not a matter of the car changing itself correctly, it's the constant drain when the connection thinks it's still live.
Wot 'e sed. I left my car undriven for over two months and it started on the button. I did take the precaution of fully charging it afterwards, of course, to preempt any hassles.