F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 07:58 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
No such thing. I have an OEM battery on the shelf and carefully inspected all 6 sides. The QR code on top refers to the CW battery model number that's printed on that same label.
And here I thought all batteries has the manufacture date stamped into the plastic case somewhere on it. Thanks .

Old 05-01-2020, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

In Nevada we get our annual smog check by it being plugged in to obd. Never had a problem.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

When we do replace the battery, is it simply take out the old battery and replace with new, or are there other considerations ie: any electrical resetting necessary.

I ask because my battery is close to retirement and I have the VAP tune as well.

Lawrence

Old 05-01-2020, 09:50 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

You may have to reset the windows, and possibly lose your trip values.

The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (05-02-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
You may have to reset the windows, and possibly lose your trip values.
Not may, will. To both.
And maybe the clock as well.

Mulmur (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 05:13 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Not may, will. To both.
And maybe the clock as well.
I said "may" as I'm sure I've seen posts on here from some who didn't have to reset windows. And the clock should reset from an internet timeserver ....

Old 05-02-2020, 06:41 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

I didn't have to reset anything, except the instruments that all returned to metric.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

If, after changing the battery, the auto-engine stop/start feature no longer works, you will need to have the dealer re-sync the battery management module with the new battery. However, most folks are grateful if that feature no longer functions.

Mulmur (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
And the clock should reset from an internet timeserver ....
Depending on your model year.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I suspect most batteries replaced by the dealer never needed replacing. Certainly, replacing the battery fixes the problem as the battery has to be disconnected (battery management module reset) to be replaced. If the dealers and JNA would ever listen to their customers, they could save a bunch of money on batteries replaced under warranty (unless they hold the OEM liable for the warranty claim). To this day, my dealership denies any knowledge of the OBD issue.
I read a lot of posts when the group buy for a lithium battery thread was active and I thought I got the general understanding I could replace the battery myself and not need the dealer tweek (battery management module reset) and everything would be fine. I have an Antigravity H7 (60) ready to install but now I'm wondering if I need to have something reset or just drop it in and no problems at all based on this post. Advice, input?

And, sadly, the car will not be going to Thailand, They have a combined 200% tariff/import duty fee based on the car's value. Ah, NO! Car gets to live in storage and driven when I travel back here.

Last edited by Tex Jag; 05-27-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tex Jag
I read a lot of posts when the group buy for a lithium battery thread was active and I thought I got the general understanding I could replace the battery myself and not need the dealer tweek (battery management module reset) and everything would be fine. I have an Antigravity H7 (60) ready to install but now I'm wondering if I need to have something reset or just drop it in and no problems at all based on this post. Advice, input?

And, sadly, the car will not be going to Thailand, They have a combined 200% tariff/import duty fee based on the car's value. Ah, NO! Car gets to live in storage and driven when I travel back here.
Just drop in the Lithium battery. You might lose the ECO stop/start feature, but who cares?

Old 05-28-2020, 05:46 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I’m planning to go with a Duralast Platinum from Autozone for $199. My car was built in May of 2013, so it’s due IMO. Not clear from a quick glance how much of the trunk I’ll need to disassemble to get it out. OEM battery is a Flamm.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I’m planning to go with a Duralast Platinum from Autozone for $199. My car was built in May of 2013, so it’s due IMO. Not clear from a quick glance how much of the trunk I’ll need to disassemble to get it out. OEM battery is a Flamm.
lift out the two floor panels, then lift out the storage tub (no fasteners). You'll then have easy access to the two battery hold-down bar bolts. 2-3 minutes, tops. I am assuming, of course, it's the same for the vert as it is for the coupe.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-28-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:19 AM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

We've always had success in bringing our BMW's & Mercedes to the dealer right at the last month before the factory warranty expires, 47th month before the 48 month expiration, & have everything checked, including the battery. Guess they're being reimbursed by corporate, cause they always replaced the battery with a brand new one.
Will try to do that with Jag before this 5 yr warranty is up....

Old 05-29-2020, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

I just replaced mine preemptively with an Interstate from Costco (Item#: 1355853, $177.99). The layout is a bit tight, but easy enough to work around.
- Lift out the storage tub and the floor panel on the left that covers the battery.
- Remove the tie-down bar and the retaining plate along the right side of the battery (there's a small cut in the liner on the left to access that side of the bar).
- Loosen the positive terminal and tuck it out of the way.
- The negative side is a bit tight, but you can slide the battery a bit towards the rear of the car in order to disengage the retainer on the front edge; then lift that end to slide forward for better access to the negative terminal.

After you install the new battery, you'll need to reset the auto function on the windows (and the clock on our MY).
- Roll the driver's window down and back up. Release the button, then press "Up" again for a few seconds. Lower it, release, and press "Down" again for a few seconds.
- Repeat the process for the passenger's window.
As I recall, you may need to do this with the engine running vs accessory mode.

Last edited by uncheel; 05-29-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:50 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

In a negative ground system - Always remove the negative cable first and install it last. This ensures you don’t accidentally short out your system if your wrench hits a ground point while disconnecting the positive cable.

JacksonvilleJag (05-30-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 12:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So before I start the swap, exactly what is this lead? and what do I do with it?

Old 06-08-2020, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Tex Jag

So before I start the swap, exactly what is this lead? and what do I do with it?
If you are talking about the black tube with a red plug going to the battery then that is the battery gas evacuation tube.
Simply pull it out of the old battery and plug it in to the new battery.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
If you are talking about the black tube with a red plug going to the battery then that is the battery gas evacuation tube.
Simply pull it out of the old battery and plug it in to the new battery.
Or if you are installing a lithium battery, just disconnect the tube from the OEM battery and tie it out of the way.

Old 06-13-2022, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
I've had battery issues with my 14 V8 S. I've experienced random faults, the inability to start the car, no dynamic mode, and the OBD access issue disabling the car. A new battery from Jag helped for a few months, then more of the same although a trickle charger eliminated no-starts. I wondered if maybe the problem isn't the car at all, but weak/crappy OEM brand batteries.

I put a $175 Duralast AGM Platinum 1000 CCA battery in and I have had zero issues going on 2 years. That includes routine OBD access with a Foxwell diagnostic tool, a cheap $10 Chinese TorquePro dongle, and a Head-Up display all switched-up regularly. So installing a good battery was the 100% solution for me. I still trickle charge if the car mostly sits for a few weeks (the charger plug shown takes a spring-coiled ceiling-mounted extension cord that I run into the trunk) but that's a left over habit from OEM.

Sorry for reviving this old post. I am currently installing this exact same battery in my 2015 F type. My only question is that the Old original battery that came with the Jag (a FIAMM) had one vent port on The positive terminal side. The negative terminal side appears to be closed and not open. However, on the Dura last battery both sides have open vent holes. My question is do I attach the vent tube to the positive terminal and leave the negative terminal open? Should I plug the negative terminal? It doesn’t seem as though I can remove the plug from the old battery to put in the news since it appears that it was closed at the factory. Not sure if you encountered this issue with your battery change since it appears as though you have the exact same battery pictured in your description. Thanks in advance for the help!

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement