F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery shorting out? Car died suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 09:30 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Battery shorting out? Car died suddenly

So I decided to do a couple donuts in the snow. (I know, I probably shouldn't have done that lol) But I did a couple and then the car started clunking and spitting and sputtering, not even 2 minutes later the car died down the road.

I was reluctant to re-start the car it just barely started, and I thought it was in limp mode, I couldn't gain speed barely at all. Not even half a mile later the car died again and would not turn over.

I tried turning the car over again and not even a click... the car would say "low battery" and then it would almost "flicker" and then everything powered back on inside the car and all the lights came back on then it still wouldn't start.

I charged the car and brought it inside and its not really taking a charge, I was able to start the car again but it barely stayed on and eventually died again.

What possibly could have happened? A short from the snow? Do you think this is only the batteries fault? Or maybe snow got into the intake? I don't really know what to do right now.

Any advice? Thoughts?

The following users liked this post:
Borbor (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 12:17 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

First thing to try is cleaning both the battery terminals and the cables that it connects to.

Old 02-05-2023, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
First thing to try is cleaning both the battery terminals and the cables that it connects to.
Yep, check the cables and the earths/grounds.
Not just the battery ground but others, IIRC there is a vital one up behind one of the wheel wells.
The symptoms smell to me like a bad ground and that one of the terminals/connections was knocked loose or broken off by the donut fun.

Old 02-05-2023, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, check the cables and the earths/grounds.
Not just the battery ground but others, IIRC there is a vital one up behind one of the wheel wells.
The symptoms smell to me like a bad ground and that one of the terminals/connections was knocked loose or broken off by the donut fun.
Hmm.. I did take the "starter ground?" off when I de-catted my car. Maybe that ground could have popped loose? That's the only wire I've ever touched on the car. It was on the bottom too. Wonder if there is any other wires I should check, its SOO hard to see anything on the car.

Think the battery might be toast after getting de-charged so badly. It kind of freaked me out how rapidly the battery discharged.

Old 02-05-2023, 10:27 AM
Received 308 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Battery check

All good ideas to check all the connections, BUT, how old is the battery? While it's possible that there is a loose connection, it also just may have been coincidence that a weak battery decided to give it up... especially in cold weather conditions. You could take the battery to have it assessed for current voltage as well as ability to take and hold a charge. Let us know how it works out.

Old 02-05-2023, 02:06 PM

here are all the codes, look how many there are!! What can I do?

Old 02-05-2023, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 398 Posts

Your video isn't viewable. Pls change the status.

Old 02-05-2023, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Your video isn't viewable. Pls change the status.
it should be now

Carbuff2 (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 03:45 PM

I cleared the codes and here’s a new list of permanent codes.

fuel rail pressure too low, battery related?

my ctek battery charged literally died or overheated when I left it on the battery overnight. so that’s not a good sign.

also I disconnected the battery from the ground for a few minutes then re-hooked everything up and it seemed to help? Still barely above 12v after charging.

Guess my car is ruined idk how serious this is

Old 02-05-2023, 03:51 PM
Received 2,631 Likes on 1,813 Posts

With the ignition in the OFF position, what is the voltage across the battery terminals when checked with a voltmeter?

Old 02-05-2023, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
With the ignition in the OFF position, what is the voltage across the battery terminals when checked with a voltmeter?
right at 12v

Old 02-05-2023, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I'd start by totally disconnecting the battery and charging it up. If you can't get it to hold a full charge (should be around 12.8V assuming it's an AGM battery) then you certainly need a replacement battery. Whether or not there is an issue with the car

Once you either have a stable and fully charged battery or a new one (which you should also charge to full too) then reconnect the battery and try again. If not then clear codes and post up what comes back

Low battery triggers tons of codes. That's my guess.

Old 02-05-2023, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 398 Posts

That's a bit low even for an OEM AGM battery, especially if it was just on the charger.

Here's the chart for battery health. Best to check after an overnight 'rest'.

Old 02-06-2023, 05:22 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
I'd start by totally disconnecting the battery and charging it up.
And don't shut the trunk lid while it's disconnected!

NBCat (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 11:35 AM

UPDATE: Put in a brand new battery, did not help. New Jaguar specific codes are as follows. I've also attached notes from the service manual. This is what I've found.

P053F-23 -- cold start fuel pressure performance
Notes:
Monitor description. The high pressure fuel pump signal is below a threshold during catalyst heating
This DTC is set when the powertrain control module measures a signal that remains low when transitions are expected.

Causes:
External fuel leak from high pressure fuel system
Internal fuel leak into low pressure fuel system

Fixes:
Check for external fuel leaks from the high pressure fuel pump and fuel rail
Check for internal fuel leaks from high pressure fuel pump into the low pressure fuel system

P228F-85 fuel pressure regulator 1- exceeding learning limits - too high
Causes:
Damaged/worn high pressure fuel pump
Fuel pump incorrect assembly/timing
High pressure fuel pump failure

Fixes:
Check powertrain control module for related DTCs and refer to relevant DTC index
Check for damaged or worn high pressure fuel pump
Check timing and condition of the fuel pump drive chain
Check and install a new high pressure fuel pump as required

P00C6-00 fuel rail pressure too low - engine cranking
Notes:
Monitor description.
The fuel rail pressure is checked against a threshold after a number of engine rotations from the start of cranking. A DTC is set if the fuel rail pressure is below the threshold

Causes:
Fuel rail has been removed
High pressure fuel pump mechanical failure

Fixes:
Using the Jaguar Land Rover approved diagnostic equipment check the fuel rail pressure during cranking.
Clear the DTC and attempt another start
Check and install a new high pressure fuel pump as required

U0001-81 high speed CAN communication bus
Causes:
High speed CAN failure - Bus off

Fixes:
Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check the central junction box medium speed CAN bus for short circuit to ground, short circuit to power, open circuit, high resistance, or short circuit between the paired CAN wires

The car will start ONLY if i give it gas while cranking. I have to keep the pedal down to keep it running. RPMs increased to near 3k one time then barely below 1k and wouldnt raise above it with pedal depressed.

Now what should I try?

Last edited by tolson; 02-06-2023 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:41 AM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Sounding like a fuel pump. Did you charge the new battery (if not, try that first).

Old 02-06-2023, 06:34 PM
Received 98 Likes on 55 Posts

Is there an automatic safety fuel shut-off relay on these cars? I think my Maserati had one. Maybe the donuts gave the impression of a rollover?

Old 02-06-2023, 06:40 PM

Charge the battery for five hours at 2 to 5 amps and retest. If there is still less than 12.6 volts present, the battery is failing or weak and must be replaced. Low available voltage can cause random DTCs and instrument cluster warnings.

Ignore the U0001 DTC for now as this is a symptom of low voltage.

Old 02-06-2023, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Charge the battery for five hours at 2 to 5 amps and retest. If there is still less than 12.6 volts present, the battery is failing or weak and must be replaced. Low available voltage can cause random DTCs and instrument cluster warnings.

Ignore the U0001 DTC for now as this is a symptom of low voltage.
If you check the post I made above I actually replaced the battery and came with new jaguar specific codes. Everything is saying fuel pump. So I guess its either my fuel pump or something with high speed CAN failure? I have no idea what that means.

Idk why the fuel pump would fail, high rpms can make it spontaneously stop working i guess? The electrical problem is the confusing part, but now that a new battery is in idk what else it could be. I have the car going into the shop later this week to get two new high pressure fuel pumps on I'm just hoping that will work I guess.

Old 02-06-2023, 06:49 PM

The age of a battery is meaningless. Report back once you've charged the battery.

What did your scanner show for fuel pressure?

In addition, check the fuse for the electrical fuel pump in the tank to see if it's still intact.

Quick Reply: Battery shorting out? Car died suddenly