battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 06:27 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by yostra
Here's the installation instructions for the installation kit
Yeah, that's the one I've seen, but that one doesn't have a 12V socket.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

So, did it work plugged into the cigarette outlet??

Old 12-21-2021, 07:35 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I have never tried plugging in a Battery Tender on my '21 F type....in fact, I don't recall my car even having a cigarette lighter port. But, it does have a 12V in the cabin, I just can't recall where and my car is under raps and I'm too lazy to get it out of it's "bed". But, in most American cars at least, the cigarette lighter port (and most all the other ports) are not "live" when the ignition is off. Those few cars that do have a live port (C7 Corvettes for one), make it a point telling the owner that this a "live" port all the time...in the C7, this is where the Battery Tender is plugged in, it's worthless plugging it into the cigarette lighted port. The Battery Tender type units, regardless of whose brand, can not charge a battery thru one of those ports unless its a live port, period. To know if it's live or not, just plug in any device (phone, radar detector, etc.) with the engine off and see if its' working or charging. Chances are very high that there's no juice coming to that port until the engine is fired up or possibly put the ignition into accessory mode.
And by the way, at least in the '21 model, it's simple, simple to hook up a tender under the front hood. There's a battery charging attachment and grounding post next to the front fender shell.

Old 12-22-2021, 04:17 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tzoid9
The Battery Tender type units, regardless of whose brand, cannot charge a battery thru one of those ports unless it's a live port, period. To know if it's live or not, just plug in any device (phone, radar detector, etc.) with the engine off and see if its' working or charging. Chances are very high that there's no juice coming to that port until the engine is fired up or possibly put the ignition into accessory mode.
But don't be fooled if it appears live after switching off - it may take a few minutes for things to shutdown.

Originally Posted by tzoid9
And by the way, at least in the '21 model, it's simple, simple to hook up a tender under the front hood. There's a battery charging attachment and grounding post next to the front fender shell.
That's not unique to MY21, I think all MYs have them.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:32 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

After a lot of thought I ended up installing my CTEK tender to the bus bar terminal and grounding lug under the storage bin in the hatch. I didn't like the idea of having to open the hood to make the connection. I had some concerns about closing the hatch on the wire but the rubber weatherstrip material is thick and flexible enough that it doesn't look like it will be a problem.

Old 12-22-2021, 10:39 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
After a lot of thought I ended up installing my CTEK tender to the bus bar terminal and grounding lug under the storage bin in the hatch. I didn't like the idea of having to open the hood to make the connection. I had some concerns about closing the hatch on the wire but the rubber weatherstrip material is thick and flexible enough that it doesn't look like it will be a problem.
I charge mine with the CTEK inside the trunk - the power cable to the CTEK hasn't caused any problems to the weatherstrip so far.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:08 AM
Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mario41051
I did buy a battery tender and this is what I have received.
All thread I have seen, shows a battery tender with a low voltage cable that include a connector and that is wired in the trunk.
This one instead is different. Can I actually charge the battery of my 2015 F-Type R connecting this charger on the cigarette port?

Folks,
I had Norwood JLR install a Jaguar "battery conditioner" in my P300. Cost was as follows: C2P25121 charger $108, C2P25122 harness $51, labor to install $250 (yikes!). At least, I am pleased that the harness and connector installation in the trunk is tidy, and the charger seems to be working perfectly.
Before I covered the car and put it on the lift for the winter, I tried plugging the charger into the cabin cigarette lighter socket. The low battery light flashed on-off rapidly. There is no explanation for this in the instructions, so I take it to be a fault. After the car's electricals went to sleep, the flashing light went out and the tender indicated only that it was plugged into AC. So, I assume that plugging the charger into the cigarette lighter is useless.
Cheers!

Old 12-27-2021, 08:58 AM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

When I ordered my new F-Type, I optioned it for the Jaguar battery tender and install kit, but it wasn't shipped with it (or the dealer didn't have one in stock when the car arrived), so the dealer purchased an after-market battery tender and hard-wired to the battery in the boot. I just plug in the cord and hang it out the boot and close the boot lid. Works like a charm.