F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery trouble advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery trouble advice

I have a 3 month old F Type. Let me first start off by saying my car had to go in for repairs for the fuel injection system because of electrical wiring damage from mice. That was repaired and the car has been running fine. It was at the dealership for over a week. When I picked the car up I got a low battery please start your engine warning. I didn't think much of it and drove like normal. Except now I get the low battery warning if I don't drive it for 24 hours or so. So far the car has always been able to start fine. I just get the warnings frequently. I bought a car battery charger and topped it off. On a full battery I can maybe go 2 days without driving before I get the message. This didn't seem right to me so I went to the dealership and they tested everything and they said everything was working fine. The battery was good and there was no parasitic drain or anything. I have never gone for more than 2 days without driving the car. I asked them a hypothetical question of me leaving my car in the garage for a week...he said Yeah it may not start and I would need to get a trickle charger. Is this normal?!

I checked the voltage while the engine was off when I got one of these low battery warnings and it read 12.0 volts. Is that pretty low for leaving a car overnight? I believe it was 11.6 volts the time I left the car in the garage for 2 days.

Last edited by dennyhle; 05-05-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:19 PM
jf1
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 05-05-2016, 03:52 PM

Unhingd suggested disconnecting the battery and doing a reset. I will try that as the first time I used the Obd2 port was also when all this started happening.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:56 PM
jf1

Originally Posted by dennyhle
Unhingd suggested disconnecting the battery and doing a reset. I will try that as the first time I used the Obd2 port was also when all this started happening.
The battery disconnect/reconnect worked for me both times I've had the issue. Are you seeing the red hazard switch light and door lock indicator lights stay on indefinitely as well?

Old 05-05-2016, 04:05 PM

Hmm are you talking about the hazard light indicator on the center console and the orange light on the two doors? I never noticed that they were on but I just looked and they are... Are both of those supposed to be off as soon as you lock the door?

Old 05-05-2016, 04:09 PM
jf1

Hmm are you talking about the hazard light indicator on the center console and the orange light on the two doors? I never noticed that they were on but I just looked and they are... Are both of those supposed to be off as soon as you lock the door?
They're supposed to shut off after a few minutes of inactivity. I find they remain lit indefinitely on my car when the battery warnings start happening and are almost certainly related to the battery drain issue.

The following users liked this post:
Smoke Em (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 05:17 PM

My lights did eventually shut off but I disconnected the battery... So we'll see what happens.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

My lights did eventually shut off but I disconnected the battery... So we'll see what happens.
Something is (or was) certainly not right as my car has sat for many weeks (more than 6 at a time during winter) without being charged and without any problems.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:02 AM

Just an update. I did the battery disconnect that was suggested in the other thread. I checked the voltage on the battery after I got home last night and it was 12.6V. This morning it was still 12.6V. I've done this in the past and it has dropped down to 12.0V overnight. So I am hopeful that the battery disconnect and reconnect worked! I'm about to go on vacation for 8 days so we'll see when I get back I guess.

The following users liked this post:
Smoke Em (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 10:06 AM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

thanks for the update and keep us updated on the test when you get back. Good Luck and enjoy your vacation!!!!

Old 05-15-2016, 10:03 AM

Just wanted to update everyone. I disconnected and reconnected the battery as suggested in the thread mentioned earlier in this thread. I just got back from an 8 day vacation and there was no low battery warning! Car started fine. Before this I was getting the message even after 2 days of inactivity.

The following 2 users liked this post by dennyhle:
Inspector-G (05-25-2016), Smoke Em (05-15-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 04:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thought I would add my experience too: Just bought a new 2016 F-Type S last week, and after putting only about 400 miles on it I received the "low battery, please start your engine" warning. This was only about 24 hours after the last time I drove it!

The car was having seemingly classic symptoms of the low battery warning, illuminated hazard light, and illuminated door lock/unlock lights (they should turn off a few minutes after the car is shut down, but over an hour later they were still on).

I disconnected and reconnected the primary battery in the trunk (didn't mess with the auto-start/stop battery). Left it unplugged for about 30 seconds. Now the hazard light and door lock/unlock lights are off (like they should be). If I still receive the low battery warning in the very near future, I'll come back and update this post - but I imagine it will be fine, as it has been for others.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector-G
Thought I would add my experience too: Just bought a new 2016 F-Type S last week, and after putting only about 400 miles on it I received the "low battery, please start your engine" warning. This was only about 24 hours after the last time I drove it!

The car was having seemingly classic symptoms of the low battery warning, illuminated hazard light, and illuminated door lock/unlock lights (they should turn off a few minutes after the car is shut down, but over an hour later they were still on).

I disconnected and reconnected the primary battery in the trunk (didn't mess with the auto-start/stop battery). Left it unplugged for about 30 seconds. Now the hazard light and door lock/unlock lights are off (like they should be). If I still receive the low battery warning in the very near future, I'll come back and update this post - but I imagine it will be fine, as it has been for others.
Did you happen to tap the ODB port for anything around the time this problem started? That would be consistent with other reports.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Did you happen to tap the ODB port for anything around the time this problem started? That would be consistent with other reports.
Since he just bought the car, it may have been hooked-up as part of dealer prep.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nati
I did, actually. I connected an Automatic OBD2 adapter to pull a CEL code (also a wonderful surprise after one week of ownership). Side note - it was P0456, which is for a small EVAP system leak. Probably related to the message I received on the display a day earlier about the gas cap being open (which wasn't true). I cleared the code and then it came back.

I hadn't read anything about OBD2 connections being correlated with the battery issue. Is that the suspected cause at this time? Any known workaround other than disconnecting the battery, or a "proper" way to connect/disconnect an OBD2 device to prevent the problem altogether?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

No work around. Every time my OBDII connector is accessed, I have just made a habit of rebooting the whole car with a battery disconnect. Have you taken the car in to have the evap issue addressed? Could need a gas cap or filler neck replacement.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
No work around. Every time my OBDII connector is accessed, I have just made a habit of rebooting the whole car with a battery disconnect.
Lame. Well hopefully I won't be needing to connect it all the damn time!

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Have you taken the car in to have the evap issue addressed? Could need a gas cap or filler neck replacement.
I've been in contact with the dealership about the issue, and am getting scheduled to head in for a fix. I definitely have fuel filler neck issues too, as the gas pump will stop like every half gallon unless I hold the trigger at a trickle.