F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best AWD R Launch Strategy

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 05:39 PM
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Best AWD R Launch Strategy

Tried to continue this in another thread, but it's been closed.

Question: what's the best set-up for launching an AWD R in dry conditions?

Dynamic mode on seems like a given, as does in sport mode, but:
* Sport auto OR sport manual (paddles)? My understanding is the computer starts you in 2nd when activating sport auto from a standstill; can you force it to 1st without using the paddles? Is one (1st vs 2nd) better than the other?
* DSC on OR DSC off? (will restate that we're assuming dry conditions here)
- if OFF and tires begin to slip, modulate throttle or keep it buried and let the front wheel assist handle it
* Pre-launch RPMs flat, 2K, or 2.5K?
* Bury the pedal or ease onto it until you feel solid grip then bury it?

Haven't run the car at a track and don't have Dragy or VBOX, so not able to test all of these variables on my own.

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by ftype_rick; 04-02-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:05 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I'm not convinced that it starts off in 2nd, except maybe in rain/snow mode. Anyone convince me otherwise?

Old 04-02-2020, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I'm not convinced that it starts off in 2nd, except maybe in rain/snow mode. Anyone convince me otherwise?
This has been debated at length across several sub-forums involving Jags that use the ZF 8HP70, but as far as I can figure out it starts in 2nd gear by default but if you bury the right hoof on take off it kicks back to 1st at around 4,000 rpm. If you ease the go pedal down to the floor taking around two seconds (instead of slamming it down) then it may not kick back to 1st.
I have never ever used rain/snow mode and I doubt I ever will so I don't know what difference that makes if any, but I remember reading somewhere on here about a FM who achieved his best 1/4 mile times by using rain/snow mode! I think it was in an XFR or maybe an XFR-S.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:26 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
This has been debated at length across several sub-forums involving Jags that use the ZF 8HP70, but as far as I can figure out it starts in 2nd gear by default but if you bury the right hoof on take off it kicks back to 1st at around 4,000 rpm. If you ease the go pedal down to the floor taking around two seconds (instead of slamming it down) then it may not kick back to 1st.
I have never ever used rain/snow mode and I doubt I ever will so I don't know what difference that makes if any, but I remember reading somewhere on here about a FM who achieved his best 1/4 mile times by using rain/snow mode! I think it was in an XFR or maybe an XFR-S.
I have a RWD but its easy to tell if I am stopped in 1st or 2nd by the idle RPM, the sound, and the amount of idle pulling power especially if on an incline.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I can say definitively that on the 5.0L XKR with the 6spd. ZF, it starts in 2nd gear and defaults to 2nd when you come to a stop, And if you have it in dynamic mode, you will see the big circled 2 on your dash showing this. I would assume the 8spd in the F type does the same thing.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I would think, as with most cars, the transmission would immediately downshift into first if the throttle is planted on takeoff. Perhaps the V8 RWD is programmed differently as a first gear, full throttle launch would certainly involve incinerating the rear tires.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
I can say definitively that on the 5.0L XKR with the 6spd. ZF, it starts in 2nd gear and defaults to 2nd when you come to a stop, And if you have it in dynamic mode, you will see the big circled 2 on your dash showing this. I would assume the 8spd in the F type does the same thing.
I can definitely say you are wrong because I plugged SDD in to my '10 XKR and used the gearbox monitoring tool to watch the gears. It only pulls away in second in snow mode or if you are using manual mode and come to a halt as it drops down through the gears as you slow down. I presume it stops at 2nd because it has enough torque to pull away in 2nd.

I wish someone would do the same with an F Type to confirm once and for all rather than people presuming. If I ever get round to buying an F Type I will do the test for myself but for now here is my '10 XKR in drive and you can see it drop in to 1st each time I come to a halt:

The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Best way to launch is off idle in my opinion; this is the way I've got my best quarter mile times. Don't raise the RPM and just smash the pedal. It's a shame we can't brake torque the thing without the ECU pulling torque from us, but I assume that's Jaguar trying to save the transmission.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 01:48 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Back in 2014 I attended an "F-Type Beyond Limits" event in the Millbrook testing ground at which we could take a V8 up the straight mile. The instruction was "just floor it". It got to 165mph quite nicely before I had to brake for the tight curve at the end!

Old 02-08-2023, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Best way to launch is off idle in my opinion; this is the way I've got my best quarter mile times. Don't raise the RPM and just smash the pedal. It's a shame we can't brake torque the thing without the ECU pulling torque from us, but I assume that's Jaguar trying to save the transmission.
Are you TSC fully off when launching off idle?

Old 02-08-2023, 02:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

As a new AWD R owner I was curious if there was a best approach - I assumed "Dynamic" and "Sport" but this has been very helpful!

Old 02-08-2023, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by DMage
As a new AWD R owner I was curious if there was a best approach - I assumed "Dynamic" and "Sport" but this has been very helpful!
There’s two settings to ease back the TSC
1. TracDSC (hold button down for about 3secs)
2. DSC fully off (hold button down for about 10secs)

For those on here with the best times, I’m not sure which setting they used. I usually run TracDSC and run up rpms to ~2000-2200 and that’s been good for 3.3s. If I don’t build up the rpms, my times are consistently 0.2-0.3secs worse to 60.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:28 AM
Received 78 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is how I ran my best time when stock (11.554 @ 120.44):
  • Dynamic Mode
  • Sport mode for transmission
  • Traction control completely off
  • Automatic shifting (not paddles)
  • Launch from idle
This was at a good track with decent prep. I kept the traction control in Track Mode for the first couple of passes. When I didn't see any DSC activity, I started running with it off. Minimal or no wheel spin that I could sense. I am looking forward to getting back to the track when it opens in April to see if I need to make any adjustments to my process since going to VAP Stage 2.

I am hoping the weather will be nice enough on Sunday to get out and do some logging runs to check my latest tune from VAP. I will also try to capture some launches using the above method to see if I can answer the question of what gear the car initially launches in. 1st vs 2nd gear as the launch gear has always puzzled me, and I haven't found a clear answer in the forums. I know the car only downshifts to 2nd gear on its own when coming to a stop in Sport mode and using the paddles. I will try to find out for sure what happens in Sport mode and letting the car do the shifting.

Old 02-09-2023, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ftype_rick
Are you TSC fully off when launching off idle?
I’ve played with both off and Trac, but never noticed much of a difference. Set up was as follows:

Dynamic
Sport
Manual Paddle Shift
Launch Off Idle
ESC in Trac or Off

11.01 @ 126 with a 1.6s 60ft.

Old 02-09-2023, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I’ve played with both off and Trac, but never noticed much of a difference. Set up was as follows:

Dynamic
Sport
Manual Paddle Shift
Launch Off Idle
ESC in Trac or Off

11.01 @ 126 with a 1.6s 60ft.
That’s impressive. And weirdly I never see better times launching off of idle, despite what you and others have observed…two schools of thought I suppose. I know there’s a margin of error with Dragy, but on average my idle launches get me to 60 0.2-0.3 seconds slower than when I run it up to ~2k rpm. Not sure how but maybe I’m managing to screw up just hammering the pedal lol

Last edited by ftype_rick; 02-09-2023 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gearhead01
Here is how I ran my best time when stock (11.554 @ 120.44):
  • Dynamic Mode
  • Sport mode for transmission
  • Traction control completely off
  • Automatic shifting (not paddles)
  • Launch from idle
This was at a good track with decent prep. I kept the traction control in Track Mode for the first couple of passes. When I didn't see any DSC activity, I started running with it off. Minimal or no wheel spin that I could sense. I am looking forward to getting back to the track when it opens in April to see if I need to make any adjustments to my process since going to VAP Stage 2.

I am hoping the weather will be nice enough on Sunday to get out and do some logging runs to check my latest tune from VAP. I will also try to capture some launches using the above method to see if I can answer the question of what gear the car initially launches in. 1st vs 2nd gear as the launch gear has always puzzled me, and I haven't found a clear answer in the forums. I know the car only downshifts to 2nd gear on its own when coming to a stop in Sport mode and using the paddles. I will try to find out for sure what happens in Sport mode and letting the car do the shifting.
Same, haven’t seen much difference between Trac and completely off. As for starting gear in auto, I haven’t tried but if you’re sitting in Sport at a stop, click down a gear on paddles and see what it shows, then do the opposite. If the bookends are 1st and 3rd, then there’s our answer?

Old 02-09-2023, 12:41 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

stupid question! If I start with ESC, does it reduce power even though I don't have any wheelspin? As soon as the wheels spin, does an
orange sign light up in the cockpit display? If this never happens, the ESC won't intervene at all, will it?
BR and thank you
Andi

Old 02-09-2023, 12:53 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi,

your diff from OEM to Stage 2 is in my view to small.
2016 R Coupe AWD
11.63 @ 121 (stock)
11.01 @ 126 (lower pulley + tune)

My 2017 R AWD have following diff, but sorry only in km/h
0-200 km/h 12,5 sec.(stock)
0-200 km/h 10,60 sec. (Stage 2)
round about 2 seconds! All times measured with P Gear 610 and same temperature and same road section
not sure but I think it was about a 1/4 mile, about 400 yards. As I said, I have to check again, unfortunately
I don't have the old smartphone anymore and I didn't save it to the cloud. I can remember the times well, but not the meters driven!

I will test this with Stage 3 in 2-3 month and i come back with new times and alo i will test 1/4 Meile...

Andi

Old 02-09-2023, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ftype_rick
That’s impressive. And weirdly I never see better times launching off of idle, despite what you and others have observed…two schools of thought I suppose. I know there’s a margin of error with Dragy, but on average my idle launches get me to 60 0.2-0.3 seconds slower than when I run it up to ~2k rpm. Not sure how but maybe I’m managing to screw up just hammering the pedal lol
Just speculating here and don’t know for sure; if you’re not brake torquing it, and you aren’t manually shifting, it would be in 2nd gear and has to downshift before taking off. During brake torque, maybe it shifts down because you’re requesting the torque already? Again, total speculation.

Old 02-09-2023, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
Hi,

your diff from OEM to Stage 2 is in my view to small.
2016 R Coupe AWD
11.63 @ 121 (stock)
11.01 @ 126 (lower pulley + tune)

My 2017 R AWD have following diff, but sorry only in km/h
0-200 km/h 12,5 sec.(stock)
0-200 km/h 10,60 sec. (Stage 2)
round about 2 seconds! All times measured with P Gear 610
Honestly, this discrepancy probably just comes down to testing on an inconsistent surface. 200 km/h is about 124mph, and coincidentally around what we see in the 1/4 mile. No one with an AWD R is running 12+ seconds on the strip. That being said, no one is running 10.6 second 1/4 either. So I think it’s just an inaccurate measurement scenario.

Quick Reply: Best AWD R Launch Strategy