F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Dash Cams for F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Just over a week of having my DashCam (which was nicely and professionally installed)...managing to catch some near misses!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Jag Near miss 1.mov (4.28 MB, 331 views)
Old 07-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dash cams are great, almost a needed accessory now days,

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

OK Tman . It looks to me that neither of you came to a complete stop and the other car was fractionally worse at stopping.

You are then turning with plenty of time to react as it looks as if you are the one cutting in front of the other car.

What do I know? Maybe wrong. NJ drivers? LOL

Old 07-29-2017, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
OK Tman . It looks to me that neither of you came to a complete stop and the other car was fractionally worse at stopping.

You are then turning with plenty of time to react as it looks as if you are the one cutting in front of the other car.

What do I know? Maybe wrong. NJ drivers? LOL
I'm kinda with Burt on this one. Both drivers hit the intersection at the same time and failing to come to a complete stop. You were turning left. All indiscretions being equal, the OP had the obligation to yield the right of way since the OP was turning left.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Speaking of capturing my own crimes on camera, I've uploaded an absurd amount of drivetime videos from my GoPros & Waylens. There's this thing, started out of Norway, which is called SlowTV. It's basically watching high rez landscape instead of low grade sitcoms, etc. I'll find info on it.... but this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Y3G5e9rVRRH72V

The Waylens are the most recent... and it seems the Waylens had a firmware upgrade where they know the speed through some accelerometer in the device vs needing to plug the OBD port in, anymore. The latter was triggering some electrical idiocy, so I gave up on it. But you can see me hitting, uhh... not a super duper legal speed, and the cop light me up on the other side of the freeway, and then me getting pulled over and a ticket, and then me driving quite gentlemanly for the rest of the drive LOL

And, don't worry, because I slowed down for him IMMEDIATELY, because I knew he was going to have a hard time catching up. I know I described it all somewhere. Whatever the case, this is the best one:

And to end this ramble, this is one of my faves, and it's not even a dashcam.

And you bet the gopro mount suction cups in 90+ degree heat *WILL* deform the 3M / plastic coating on your car.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Old 08-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone out there still naive enough to believe they shouldn't bother getting a dash cam?

Old 08-18-2017, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts
Default Best Cam for F-Type

The following 4 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Burt Gummer (08-18-2017), DJS (08-21-2017), malbec (02-12-2018), mc5mojo (02-11-2018)
Old 08-19-2017, 01:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Power from interior mirror

Old 02-09-2018, 05:53 PM
EL1
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which Fuse Slot for Hardwired Dash Cam?

Hi TwiztOG43 --

Thanks for your post and pics. I just picked up the Thinkware F800 Pro Dual dash cam package for my 2017 F-Type R. It should be arriving sometime today so I can install it over the weekend 😁.

I was wondering if you could clarify which fuse slot you selected to hardwire (for 'always hot' in parked mode).

Looking at the Owner's Manual, was it #54 (Jaguar Owner Information link)? Is it located in the front driver's A-side pillar panel or the passenger side fuse panel?

I'm following your lead with regards to camera placement, considering all the line-of-site sensors attached to that whole rear view mirror area. I didn't realize there were so many until I read your post.

Also, do you happy to have a pick of how you mounted and hid the wiring for the rear camera?

Thanks in advance for the help!

EL1

Originally Posted by TwiztOG43
Just installed my Blackvue 2CH with Power Magic Pro last night. It took about 3 hrs, all wires tucked under trim and molding except for the rear hatch.

Tapped acc using "add-a-fuse" to the 20 front cigarette fuse and battery to an empty slot since they are always hot.

The Power Magic Pro allows the camera to function while the car is not on. I have it set up to cut power to the cameras if battery voltage drops below 22.8 or 12 hours, whichever comes first.

As for location of the front camera, this was best due to the wide angle of the lens, the mirror cover would block a portion of the camera if placed on the passenger side, and below the mirror was not feasible due to the sensor right below it.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Just bought a Viofo 119S.
Basic dashcam but only $100 and has very good reports.
Fits very well with the F design, could almost be OEM !
Had it professionally installed.
Oh and thank you WAZE

Attached Thumbnails Best Dash Cams for F-Type-68221d84-e4b4-4223-bf46-996229e0c7bb.jpeg   Best Dash Cams for F-Type-4b186617-c01d-466c-964c-bb00d980ee57.jpeg   Best Dash Cams for F-Type-b8dde8ed-dce8-4704-b36d-89a34fdbacb3.png  
Old 02-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

can i connect to the phone ?
or only you can watch via sd ?

thx
is very OEM style i want buy one

Old 02-12-2018, 04:22 PM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by indietor
can i connect to the phone ?
or only you can watch via sd ?

thx
is very OEM style i want buy one
You have to use the micro sd card but it’s not difficult. I bought a Lexar card and a Lexar micro sd to lightning connector plus downloaded the Lexar Mobile Manager app so I can view on my iPad/iPhone.
You can hide the speed data of you wish but read it on Dashcam Viewer or VLC for Windows or Apple.
Just to add that you can hide the speed data so that it’s not there when you just play back the card. When you use dashcam viewer the speed data and map can be viewed.
Lots of info on YouTube.

Last edited by malbec; 02-12-2018 at 04:40 PM.
indietor (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 05:28 PM

yes im watching it
i saw roav c1pro

that have wifi , i find on amazon for similar price 100 euros

when you turn on the veichle the cam start and this is ok but the monitor is on or off ? and this dash have a battery in case your car is parked and someone hit you and he register 1 min or 2 mins ...for emergency

im watching the reviews on youtube , more people install 2 viofo 1 front 1 rear

i want understand how important is the wifi , gps ok for speed and position but wifi ?

Old 02-13-2018, 02:26 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a thinkware f750 (front/rear).

I had it wired into the fusebox under the passenger footwell on my old V6S but that fusebox is missing on the MY18 SVR and I haven't had a chance to wire it into the tiny inaccessible fusebox up under the A-pillar.

I'm thinking about swapping the front cam to the rear (and vice versa) since the rear camera is much smaller and there's a chance that the GPS can get through the top of the rear glass rather then the front athermic windscreen (which blocks GPS and radar detection) and there are more places to tap power in the rear...

WiFi? so you can configure the camera and download video to your phone (and post it to youtube) without waiting till you get home to stick the memory card into a PC.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

DDPai M6+ is still my favorite front-facing only camera; has it all for under $115. Super easy mag dismount when you want to grab and go. The little picture-taking button is a nice touch also. 128miniSD means day-long 1440p recording.

Everyone 'loves' what they are familiar with, that is how this works.

From what I've seen, the Blackvue would be a top choice for front/back.

The DDPai tucks nicely up behind the rear view mirror passenger (USA - correct/right side lol).

My old school favorite if someone doesn't need all the bells and whistles is the Mobius. Tiny, easy to conceal. A big dash cam with a built-in screen is just tacky, no thanks.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 02-13-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:01 PM
EL1
Default 😎 Sharing Dash Cam Installation Pics - Thinkware F800 Pro Dash Cam

Hi All --

Thought I would share some pics of the installation for my new Thinkware F800 Pro Dash Cam to help others considering the same. The F800 Pro is definitely one of the most expensive dash cams on the market (about $500 for front/rear camera package), but definitely the best, most full-featured, overall. My only critique is their file Cloud storage service and App, which is relatively new and a bit unintuitive. I'm hoping they'll improve this feature in the coming months.

After lots of online research, I opted to have a local car stereo shop handle installation for me (All Star Sound in Long Beach, CA). They quoted a very reasonable installation price and completed it in less then 90 minutes. They even figured out a more efficient way of mounting the Rear camera since there is so much "margin" space between the top edge of the hatchback glass window and the roof liner seam. Otherwise, this would leave extra cable slack that would hang down when the hatch was closed.

Meanwhile, all the cables are well hidden behind the moulding, etc. and it's hardwired for Accessory and Always-On (for parked video mode).

Hope this helps:

Attached Thumbnails Best Dash Cams for F-Type-00.jpg   Best Dash Cams for F-Type-000.jpg   Best Dash Cams for F-Type-1.jpg   Best Dash Cams for F-Type-2.jpg   Best Dash Cams for F-Type-2a.jpg  

Old 02-13-2018, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

I've never got the whole rear cam thing. Is it mostly for recording when the car is parked? A battery pack and timeout to allow it to record for another amount of time before you return? In case someone parks by braille?

If I get hit from behind in motion in 95% of cases it is assumed that it is the other person's fault.

A view of a rear facing camera from the dashboard backwards I understand. Mostly to prove you weren't talking/holding/texting a phone or if someone tries to carjack you, etc.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:37 AM
EL1

Good question... Pretty much everything you mentioned and more. Just do a YouTube search for 'rear view dash cam'. Here's a good one from the reseller I bought my Thinkware F800 Pro from:

My personal feeling is, a front camera alone is like having Liability coverage without Comprehensive. Not to mention the added benefits from some insurance companies if rear video captures evidence.

As you know, these are $100K+ cars that lots of crazy-a$$ people out there don't appreciate for whatever reason. So we're an automatic target for street racers, vandalism and Ex's. A few hundred bucks to cover this investment and optionally transfer to a new sports car in my future 😁, is more than worth it.

Cheers Safely,
EL1

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
I've never got the whole rear cam thing. Is it mostly for recording when the car is parked? A battery pack and timeout to allow it to record for another amount of time before you return? In case someone parks by braille?

If I get hit from behind in motion in 95% of cases it is assumed that it is the other person's fault.

A view of a rear facing camera from the dashboard backwards I understand. Mostly to prove you weren't talking/holding/texting a phone or if someone tries to carjack you, etc.

The following 2 users liked this post by EL1:
Burt Gummer (02-14-2018), indietor (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by EL1
Good question... Pretty much everything you mentioned and more. Just do a YouTube search for 'rear view dash cam'. Here's a good one from the reseller I bought my Thinkware F800 Pro from:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2NDZwdYT-8

My personal feeling is, a front camera alone is like having Liability coverage without Comprehensive. Not to mention the added benefits from some insurance companies if rear video captures evidence.

As you know, these are $100K+ cars that lots of crazy-a$$ people out there don't appreciate for whatever reason. So we're an automatic target for street racers, vandalism and Ex's. A few hundred bucks to cover this investment and optionally transfer to a new sports car in my future 😁, is more than worth it.

Cheers Safely,
EL1
right on 100k cars front and back are important you also can put in a new cars

im thinking a blackvue
but also a pair of 119s or ROav c1pro

Burt Gummer (02-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Best Dash Cams for F-Type