F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best options for car transport in USA

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the recommendations....this is the first time I've required shipment of a vehicle, so I learned a few things that might prove insightful for others.

It appears the going rate for drivers is around $.95-1.00/mile (1,260 miles) based on the route related to my shipment (PA to TX). The brokers obviously tack on a commission to organize the details and identify the driver, which in my case amounts to $295. Keep in mind the good brokers have a handful of drivers they have used and trust who they reach out to regularly whereas other brokers might simply post on what's called a "load board" that any driver with the proper equipment and is a member of the board can login and bid on a specific shipment.

I will also add their are specific carriers that specialize in various parts of the country as those drivers like to stick to a routine knowing where they can stop along the route for their own needs such as gas, sleep, food, etc.

I decided on Bears Transport as the representative (Liz) presented as very straightforward with the details.

BTW - if you are shipping from Southern California to Texas that is amongst the most economical route given the ease of travel along that route for the drivers. It comes down to supply/demand, road conditions and the hassle factor for the carrier when you are quoted transport cost.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:34 PM
Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Awesome. Hope your transport goes as smoothly as mine.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by WillyBolly
What did you end up choosing?
I have been looking for a good car transport company for a long time, but it turned out to be much more difficult than I thought. I read a lot of forums, looking for advice, but I got even more confused. Can anyone advise me on how best to ship my car, across the sea or by truck? I have read a large number of messages that say that by sea is best, and enough messages that would be for the transportation of cars by truck. How still inexperienced in such matters, it is difficult for a person to make a decision, and choose the right service and company for the car shipping. My friends generally advise me to get behind the wheel myself and go where I need to go.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll just leave it at this ->

Old 12-03-2021, 03:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently used VMS Lux Transport of Matawan, NJ from Houston to Brooklyn. I paid $1200 cash for covered upon delivery. They used a large transport across and transferred it to a covered flat bed for local delivery. I have no idea what they did on the front side. They said they used their own trucks throughout. I had no problem and was happy with them.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:00 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

That's a long drive from Midway Atoll. I think you'll find advertisements aren't allowed here, unless you're a forum sponsor.

Old 08-31-2022, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Byrnout
Looking for anyone's and everyone's opinion on the best car transporter in the USA.

Those with experiences please share so we can all learn more about it.

I am looking at transporting an F-type from central USA to California, ~1300 miles, and looking at getting first hand knowledge of the process and best transporters out there from people I trust, as this will be my first time doing it.

Any help is much appreciated!
Use

Old 08-31-2022, 05:26 PM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I brought my F from Florida to California, insisting on the upper level of the transporter, to avoid rock chips. The Dealer made a suggestion and I went with it, having learned that there are Brokers in the middle, who arrange as complete a trip as possible for the trucker. It went fine, and we'll always recall the night-time delivery as the truck looked like an amusement ride as it rolled into the Home Depot parking lot.

The following users liked this post:
mvining (02-17-2024)
Old 01-25-2023, 02:38 PM

This post was great in helping me transport my car.

My sister recently shipped hers and she used RunBuggy 1…that seemed to work really well for her, but I haven’t tried that one yet.

Old 08-04-2023, 07:40 AM
Received 424 Likes on 174 Posts

If you have the time, I highly recommend you fly to the selling location and driving it home. It's a great way to shake down the vehicle and see some of this fantastic country. The Stelvio I recently purchased was going to cost me $850.00 for shipping and I'm glad I opted for deliverying it to myself .

The following 2 users liked this post by SassySarah:
Portlander (08-04-2023), scm (08-04-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

If shipping an expensive/new car be sure to ship inside a carrier truck/trailer to reduce risk of damage and dirt.
It costs more but is worth it.

Last edited by CJSJAG; 10-31-2023 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-31-2023, 11:47 AM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
If shipping an expensive/new car be sure to ship inside a carrier truck/trailer to reduce risk of damage and dirt.
It costs more but is worth it.
When I moved from coast to coast, I shipped both of my cars, a daily driver Saab and a pristine 98' 993 C2S. When I took delivery of the cars in CA, the Saab [outside carrier] looked like it was transported through a war zone, and the 911 was perfect inside the carrier.

NEVER ship a nice car on an outside carrier. Even if it survives the trip in good shape, it's not worth the worry!

Old 11-01-2023, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Our delivery (NC to MA) was inside a closed trailer.
The driver took detailed photos of the car that he shared with the dealer before he set off.
His careful pre departure attention was to ensure he was not held responsible for any prior damage.
It also helped by identifying a few very minor paint blems that the dealer agreed to cover at my local paint correction shop.

Old 11-04-2023, 11:25 PM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

I used a big name enclosed transport and still had scuffed wheels from the straps and a ding from the driver climbing in through the window because u can't open the doors inside the trailer. Awful.

Old 11-04-2023, 11:28 PM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by synthesis
When I moved from coast to coast, I shipped both of my cars, a daily driver Saab and a pristine 98' 993 C2S. When I took delivery of the cars in CA, the Saab [outside carrier] looked like it was transported through a war zone, and the 911 was perfect inside the carrier.

NEVER ship a nice car on an outside carrier. Even if it survives the trip in good shape, it's not worth the worry!
so, you'd never drive your car across states on the open road? Haha

I wouldn't but i digress.

Old 11-06-2023, 03:39 PM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgo
so, you'd never drive your car across states on the open road? Haha

I wouldn't but i digress.
My F-type is in nearly mint condition, so no. And the notion of driving across country doesn't really do it for me. I did a bunch of 1200-1800mi trips back in the day and was always relieved when they were over. My lower back generally rebels after 3-4 hours of driving as I approach the 70 mark.

Old 12-05-2023, 07:41 AM
Received 424 Likes on 174 Posts

If it's just one vehicle, fly to it and drive it back--given that you have the time of course.

The following users liked this post:
Golfnutjtl (12-05-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

Definitely go with a closed transport. There is reason expensive new cars are delivered in a closed trucks vs Toyotas on open transports.
Agree on the condition of the car (dings, dents, paint marks) and share photographs with delivery driver and parent company.
Make sure their insurance covers you for any damage - including totalling if the trailer gets rolled.
Probably not proportional but I paid about $1,200 for about 1,000 miles in a closed trailer in 2021.
You can get better rates if they have a loaded round trip and/or have a loaded double trailer.
Biggest problem I had was the non-stop phone calls after the delivery from other carriers still wanting the job!!

Old 12-09-2023, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member

It was quite amusing how my original posting got modified in the requote!!
I guess AI is not so smart after all

Old 02-17-2024, 09:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mollywatson
Just wanted to share my car transport experience when I moved cross-country. Shipped my Saab and a vintage 911. The Saab, on an outside carrier, looked like it went through a war zone upon arrival in CA. On the flip side, the 911 in an enclosed carrier was pristine! Lesson learned: NEVER risk a nice car on an outside carrier. The worry ain't worth it! Also, stumbled upon this cool car delivery cost calculator at link https://www.a1autotransport.com/california-ca/. It might help ease some stress when planning your move.
Wow! Lots of companies have calculators like that. And that one gave me a quote 50% more than any other. Shipping an F Tyoe in march cross county. Like anything, you gotta shop.

Quick Reply: Best options for car transport in USA