F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best options to get Black Pack and change seat color on an F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Best options to get Black Pack and change seat color on an F-Type

If you have seen some of my posts, I have been looking to add an R Coupe to my garage. I've been quite picky in the options and spec and this has lead to me having to reach out to multiple dealers (most of who dont want to dealer trade) and forego some of my requirements to help narrow down the list of cars that I could get.

I have one car that is available locally which is near about what I want (white R Coupe) but:

1. Does not have black pack.

So what can I do to get black pack on the car? I see that the side vents are available as an accessory and hence can be replaced.
For the silver strip running across the side windows, I dont see any good option.
For the front grill surround, there is an official accessory from Jaguar, but I fear that installation requires removing too many parts and this is not something I want to do on a new car.

2. Has Ivory Duo seating. I prefer jet seats with red or ivory stitch OR even redzone seats (not red seats).

Dealer mentioned that its possible to get a local retailer to remove the seats and stitch new leather in place of the ivory part. However, I fear this will also lead to possible damages and also that it wont look like what Jaguar has - with the carbon strip in the middle, R embossing on the headrest. Also, there may be issues with the powered seat adjustments for bolsters.

What are my realistic options here? Just not buy a car with the seats that I dont want?

Old 03-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

It's not worth it. Changing trim is expensive and aftermarket leather is rubbish.

Plus you are adding cost which defeats the point of buying a 2015.

Your options are
1) live with the ivory leather and maybe wrap the trim with black wrap (not too expensive)

2) find another car - should be a surge of inventory soon as 2016 cars arrive.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

If you are that picky about the options & colors, why not just custom order the car?

Old 03-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Order what you actually want?

Old 03-05-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by another_geek
If you are that picky about the options & colors, why not just custom order the car?
Originally Posted by F-typical
Order what you actually want?
Well, they dont take 2015 orders any more and I am late to the party!
I dont like some of the exterior changes dont to the 2016 model, else that would be my go to option. And then there is the agonizing wait - Need a car pronto for spring and summer.

Here in Bellevue WA, I dont see as many cars as there are in say CA, TX, FL.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

A car you described is at Momentum Jaguar in Houston. Fly and buy or have it shipped to you. Would be cheaper and much better than modifying. You might check Auto Trader.com or Cars.com and find one closer to you. If you tell your dealer that this is what you are thinking of doing they might get more aggressive in finding what you want. My dealer here in FL just got an F type R for a customer from a dealer in NY. He does it all the time. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
RobsnTX (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by rav1up
Well, they dont take 2015 orders any more and I am late to the party!
I dont like some of the exterior changes dont to the 2016 model, else that would be my go to option. And then there is the agonizing wait - Need a car pronto for spring and summer.

Here in Bellevue WA, I dont see as many cars as there are in say CA, TX, FL.
Sounds like you just need to be more flexible in your preferences. My experience has been that certain colors, options, etc., that I might not have selected when ordering, grew on me, and I came to prefer them.

I don't think I'll ever custom order another car, but I'm flexible enough to find something I like in stock even though I may have to travel some distance for it.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by jleuz1
A car you described is at Momentum Jaguar in Houston. Fly and buy or have it shipped to you. Would be cheaper and much better than modifying. You might check Auto Trader.com or Cars.com and find one closer to you. If you tell your dealer that this is what you are thinking of doing they might get more aggressive in finding what you want. My dealer here in FL just got an F type R for a customer from a dealer in NY. He does it all the time. Good luck.
Yes, I have this on my radar. Their Sales Manager who can make a decision on dealer trade is out on vacation. Also, my issue in buying directly from elsewhere is that I will end up losing about $4000 in sales tax credit that I would get on my trade-in. I'm ok paying for shipping. There is one in CA but they dont want to dealer trade - same story on buying directly from them.

Originally Posted by Foosh
Sounds like you just need to be more flexible in your preferences. My experience has been that certain colors, options, etc., that I might not have selected when ordering, grew on me, and I came to prefer them.
Yes, I have started looking at other colors as well. Trying my best to to find one that will give me what I want with minimal collateral.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Fly and buy!

Originally Posted by jleuz1

I agree! You should get what you want and if you got something modified locally it would be expensive, possibly damage the car, or void the warranty. You could make it an adventure and get the car (possibly here in Houston) and fly in and have a road trip home!

I know the dealers here and can check on any car for you and/or recommend a sales person. it sounds like you are looking for the exact car that I have!

Old 03-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=rav1up;1176615]Yes, I have this on my radar. Their Sales Manager who can make a decision on dealer trade is out on vacation. Also, my issue in buying directly from elsewhere is that I will end up losing about $4000 in sales tax credit that I would get on my trade-in. I'm ok paying for shipping. There is one in CA but they dont want to dealer trade - same story on buying directly from them.

Don't you have a CarMax or other alternative to getting cash out of the car you were going to trade in? The dealers are horrible in what they offer to trade.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I have this on my radar. Their Sales Manager who can make a decision on dealer trade is out on vacation. Also, my issue in buying directly from elsewhere is that I will end up losing about $4000 in sales tax credit that I would get on my trade-in. I'm ok paying for shipping. There is one in CA but they dont want to dealer trade - same story on buying directly from them.
You should contact your state DMV. I've purchased cars before out of state, and was still able to deduct the trade-in price from the purchase price for sales tax purposes. I then paid the sales tax when I registered the car and picked up plates in my home state. The out-of-state dealer didn't charge sales tax because I wasn't a resident and was registering the car in another state. You just need the right paperwork.

Of course, that might require a road trip, but it sounds like it could be a fun mini-vacation.

The following users liked this post:
rav1up (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by RobsnTX
Don't you have a CarMax or other alternative to getting cash out of the car you were going to trade in? The dealers are horrible in what they offer to trade.
Last I checked KBB and NADA had good quotes for my car and my dealer was hinting at offering something similar. Nearest CarMax is a 300 mile round trip in Oregon for me. May be worth considering.

You should contact your state DMV. I've purchased cars before out of state, and was still able to deduct the trade-in price from the purchase price for sales tax purposes. I paid that sales tax when I registered the car and picked up plates in my home state. You just need the right paperwork.

Of course, that might require a road trip, but it sounds like it could be a fun mini-vacation.
I'll check with WA DMV and see if they have an option to do the same.

I'm ok doing a roadtrip to CA or Utah for that matter. But east coast of Texas is too much for me at the moment (given work and wife).

Old 03-05-2015, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,643 Likes on 8,698 Posts

Another way is to fly to Texas, buy the car (fly back home) and then have it trailered to your place. Check with your local dealer first to minimize any problems.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jayt2
Another way is to fly to Texas, buy the car (fly back home) and then have it trailered to your place. Check with your local dealer first to minimize any problems.
He wants to trade a current car.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Doesn't the dealer have a general manager to do a dealer swap? If buying stock you have to stay flexible. My experience is you buy a little more but are glad later on. Don't be surprised if dealers suddenly have '15's in stock after '16's arrive. They'll buy them because Jag will give dealer incentive.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:04 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Last I checked KBB and NADA had good quotes for my car and my dealer was hinting at offering something similar. Nearest CarMax is a 300 mile round trip in Oregon for me. May be worth considering.

I'm ok doing a roadtrip to CA or Utah for that matter. But east coast of Texas is too much for me at the moment (given work and wife).
Dealers don't need to "Trade" cars. They can simply buy the car from another dealer. Tell your local dealer you want the car in Houston, give them the vin number, and ask them to do what it takes to get it.

My dealer in California brought my car in all the way from Maryland. There were only two with the specs I wanted in the entire country. Cost me $1500.00 for the covered transport to truck it to the west coast.

Last edited by IronMike; 03-06-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:38 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My experience with Carmax was negative. I sold the car privately for 2900 more than they offered.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:43 AM

This car should do it for you-:

New 2015 Jaguar F-TYPE For Sale | Tampa FL

it's only 25 miles from my door.

Here's another (about 35 miles from me):

http://www.wildejaguarofsarasota.com...-FL/2424892633

Last edited by ApolloBeachRetiree; 03-06-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree
My experience with Carmax was negative. I sold the car privately for 2900 more than they offered.
It's true that you almost always can get a higher price in a private sale, but that often takes a long time, and it's a hassle to continually show it to potential buyers if you work full-time.

I think the point of using Carmax is that you can sometimes/often do better than what a dealer will offer in trade.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:11 AM

It's true that you almost always can get a higher price in a private sale, but that often takes a long time, and it's a hassle to continually show it to potential buyers if you work full-time.

I think the point of using Carmax is that you can sometimes/often do better than what a dealer will offer in trade.
I understand, but, the dealer's offer was $1000 higher than Carmax. I remain unimpressed by Carmax.

Quick Reply: Best options to get Black Pack and change seat color on an F-Type