F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to mount a smartphone in the F-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The mounting point in that picture is not actually on the dash, but on a trim piece above the center screen. It matches the trim pieces around the HVAC controls and around the shifter console.

I can't speak for all the materials used in the various trim options available, but on my car they are aluminum, and they are carbon fiber in the photo above. You'd have to try very hard to damage either of those, and all it that's needed for removal is piece of fishing line and mild adhesive remover (e.g. Goo-Gone) at most.
Correction: the trim panels in my photos, standard on the R, are the "Dark Hex Aluminum" trim, so like yours, they are aluminum, with a machined or chemically etched pattern. In either regard, the aluminum will withstand most attempts at removal without incident, making the premise of your response accurate.

However, I would be careful using Goo-Gone, Goof-Off, or any other petroleum based cleaner or solvent, as it would be very easy to damage any adjacent plastic or vinyl surfaces.

One drop of Goof Off on the High Gloss Black trim piece directly beneath the hex aluminum trim, is very likely to melt the gloss finish and permanently scar that part. I would suggest a citrus based adhesive remover instead... a little harder to find, but better to play it safe. Hate to see someone make a mess of their navigation screen by introducing some harsh chemicals in the cockpit.

Last edited by IronMike; 11-06-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

recent activity in this thread motivated me to try a new mounting solution. previously I was doing a magnetic mount with a cigarette lighter attachment. the cons were I had to look down to see things and it blocked the shifter a little. I like the magnetic mount above the nav screen but don't like the aesthetic of a mount sticking out. So I took a couple of magnets and made a flat mount. Only thing is the phone has to be mounted horizontally otherwise the center vent will block it. But it looks very "clean". It can be more incognito if I just wrap the metal magnetic with a CF vinyl wrap but went with orange since my car has a bunch of other orange accents.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

FYI, I actually tried it out yesterday. While it works great at night, the mounting position during the day is very glare so I would not suggest this mounting position.

The following 2 users liked this post by shift:
CaptainHam (11-09-2015), Socal_transplant (11-09-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do any of you that mount your phones up in front of the gear selector anywhere have problems with bluetooth audio streaming? The range in my vehicle seems very poor. If my phone is in the cup holder, it streams without a hiccup, anything beyond the gear selector seem to cause stuttering and dropped connections. Does anyone know where exactly the bluetooth receiver is located in the car? I assume it is in the center storage compartment somewhere by the USB ports.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Neek
Do any of you that mount your phones up in front of the gear selector anywhere have problems with bluetooth audio streaming? The range in my vehicle seems very poor. If my phone is in the cup holder, it streams without a hiccup, anything beyond the gear selector seem to cause stuttering and dropped connections. Does anyone know where exactly the bluetooth receiver is located in the car? I assume it is in the center storage compartment somewhere by the USB ports.
Yes, the bluetooth in mine is weak. Stutters when I have the phone in my shirt pocket, but works fine when in the cupholder or mounted above the touch display.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
I like Shifts solution nearly as much as my own.
Clearly, everyone has their own opinion on what makes for a good phone mount, but IMHO I have seen some pretty hideous solutions shown on this forum over the last several months.

In my view, the fundamental purpose of a good phone holder is all about location, location, location... while being unobtrusive in the process. Phones mounted down near the console force the driver to avert their eyes too far from the road, and/or for too much time... and therefore can be a huge distraction to the responsible operation of the vehicle.

The ProClip console mount, cupholder mounts, and cigarette holder mounts all fall into the category, and some are not very attractive to boot...

This is my phone, mounted, from several angles:

Straight-on view - Vertical Orientation

Straight-on view - Landscape Orientation

View from Driver's position - Vertical

View from Driver's position - Landscape

As you can see, the phone is located higher up into the driver's normal line of sight with eyes on the road. I can easily glance at my phone while still having great vision of the road in front of me, and more importantly, what other vehicles may be doing around me, like hitting their brakes suddenly or while following in traffic.

I can even operate/navigate the phone, without removing my right hand from the steering wheel. Dialing the phone is even safer than using the Navigation screen. Summoning Siri to dictate a text or email is effortless. Evaluating traffic conditions on my InRix Traffic app can be done without distraction from the road. And yes, I can even manually correct a text on rare occasion with diverting my attention from the roadway.

Better still, the phone in this location blocks relatively No buttons, No features, and No other services of the auto. Only the Home Menu button for the Nav Screen is obscured, and then only with the phone in a Vertical orientation. Not like I used that button much anyway as there are other ways to do this from the touch-screen itself, and I can still easily get to that one button if needed by sliding my finger under the phone. Approximately 40% of the left side air vent from the center pop-up is obscured, but again only with the phone oriented vertically. Since I've also directed the right side vent of the central pop-up toward the driving position, this issue is of little consequence to me. With the phone oriented in landscape, it blocks absolutely nothing whatsoever... well except one's insignificant view of some of the Technical Weave pattern on the console itself.

So how did I accomplish this with no apparent bracket or mount?
This wonderful little Magic Magnetic Mount from Scosche, available from Amazon for $19.99
Amazon.com: SCOSCHE MagicMount- Magnetic Dash Mount for Mobile devices - Car Mounts - Frustration-Free Packaging - Black: Automotive

View from Driver's position

Straight-on View

View from Passenger position

Close-up View

This Scosche Mount is Sturdy, Compact, Efficient, and Effective.
The mount is secured to the upper console with an adhesive pad, which I can easily remove if and when the time comes. The phone is secured to the mount with a thin metal plate attached directly to the back of the phone, the back of the case, or even between the phone and the case (which is where mine is hidden).

The phone is easily placed on the mount in an infinite array of positions due to the broad magnetic field feature of the mount, and the phone is much more secure once in place than I anticipated. The phone does not move unless lifted from the mount and repositioned by hand. It stays in place when I punch the gas, or when I fishtail around a corner, or when I'm zooming along at 140mph. And No, the magnet has no effect on the internal operation of the phone, at least not that I've noticed in two months, despite some internet reports to the contrary.

In summation, this mount puts the phone in the best possible location. The mount itself, when not in use, is far less obtrusive than many of the other options (one could even argue it has an extremely compact footprint compared to most). and everything with both the phone and the vehicle work well together.

Lastly, and before Foosh comes along and comments about his battery life while using waze... I don't experience routine battery problems, and I don't use Waze. However, while I have yet to complete this last little part of the install, and for those instances I do need a charge, I intend to run my charging cable to the phone, by securely tucking it up under the side lip of the console, leaving only a few inches of cable showing, well in back of, or behind the Wiper Control lever.
You forget to mention one very important detail. The ability to CHARGE THE PHONE. By having the phone way up there, have you come up with a solution to hide and weave a usb cable in a way that its stealth?

Old 05-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Yes, I've had this same phone mount for quite some time now, and I love it.

The cable can be nicely tucked just under the edge of the console, except the very end where it plugs in to the phone. I have a long black cable that plugs into the hidden 12v port under the console cubby door. It's almost completely invisible w/ the phone in the upright position, which is the way I usually position mine.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:34 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, I've had this same phone mount for quite some time now, and I love it.

The cable can be nicely tucked just under the edge of the console, except the very end where it plugs in to the phone. I have a long black cable that plugs into the hidden 12v port under the console cubby door. It's almost completely invisible w/ the phone in the upright position, which is the way I usually position mine.
Foosh,

When you get a chance can you post a pic of how/where you ran the cable? I bought mount, but haven't gotten the car back yet from stereo shop to install and was looking for a place to mount. I like the location of where you guys have it mounted for visibility, but I would be concerned on the wire dangling around the cockpit. LOL.

Thank you

Old 05-21-2016, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
Foosh,

When you get a chance can you post a pic of how/where you ran the cable? I bought mount, but haven't gotten the car back yet from stereo shop to install and was looking for a place to mount. I like the location of where you guys have it mounted for visibility, but I would be concerned on the wire dangling around the cockpit. LOL.

Thank you
Not Foosh, but he is correct. Similarly, I purchased a 6ft or 2meter BLACK Lightning charging cable on Amazon. Plugged the USB into the In-Control charging port in the storage cubby between the seats. Ran the cable out the backside of that cubby toward the rear of the car (there's a slight recess between the cubby box and its lid that provides a perfect and safe pathway for the cable without being pinched when the lid is hinged open). Then wrapped the cable around the back of the cubby and down to the bottom lip of the center console on the drivers side. This bottom edge of the center console runs all the way from between the seats to underneath the dash and there is ample room to run your fingers between the carpet and the bottom edge of the center console to tuck the charging cable well up along the side of the console.

Once you've got that far and have one end hanging out under the dash near the gas pedal, I grabbed that open end in one hand and a little slack in the cable all the way at the back of the console with the other hand, and proceeded to "saw" that 4 ft section of cable back and forth a few strokes to ensure it was well up against the underside of the console and without any inadvertent loops or kinks, then gave one last pull forward to bring all the slack under the dash.

From here, there are several paths one can pursue depending on your interest. What I did was pressed the cable into the vertical seam in the dash that runs from the very bottom of the dash all the way to the windshield. You can see that seam in this picture traversing vertically about half way between the tachometer gauge and the left edge of my phone, it is also right in line with the tip of the Wiper Wand.

Using the edge of a credit card, I then pressed the cable even further into this seam in small sections. It's fairly snug, but presses in with relative ease at the same time. If you keep working small sections from bottom to top, you can get the cable all the way through that seam and into some open space behind the dash. From here, I merely positioned the cables exit point parallel with the bottom of the phone, and pulled back on any excess so I had about 6" of cable sticking out of that seam.

When I do need to plug in, which is not all that often, the cable is right there next to the phone, with just enough cable to power the phone with no slack or dangling cable. When I'm not plugged into the phone, I flex the cable to the left and tuck the Lightning connector into the gap between the steering column and the dash right where the steering column projects through the dash. This is a perfect spot to stick the unused end of the cable. It stays put. I end up with an inconsequential 4" loop of exposed cable from where it comes out from the slot in the dash to where the open end is tucked in along side the steering column, and because this small loop is behind the Wiper Wand, it's almost impossible to see from the drivers seat, but I know it's there when I need it.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

Not Foosh, but he is correct. Similarly, I purchased a 6ft or 2meter BLACK Lightning charging cable on Amazon. Plugged the USB into the In-Control charging port in the storage cubby between the seats. Ran the cable out the backside of that cubby toward the rear of the car (there's a slight recess between the cubby box and its lid that provides a perfect and safe pathway for the cable without being pinched when the lid is hinged open). Then wrapped the cable around the back of the cubby and down to the bottom lip of the center console on the drivers side. This bottom edge of the center console runs all the way from between the seats to underneath the dash and there is ample room to run your fingers between the carpet and the bottom edge of the center console to tuck the charging cable well up along the side of the console.

Once you've got that far and have one end hanging out under the dash near the gas pedal, I grabbed that open end in one hand and a little slack in the cable all the way at the back of the console with the other hand, and proceeded to "saw" that 4 ft section of cable back and forth a few strokes to ensure it was well up against the underside of the console and without any inadvertent loops or kinks, then gave one last pull forward to bring all the slack under the dash.

From here, there are several paths one can pursue depending on your interest. What I did was pressed the cable into the vertical seam in the dash that runs from the very bottom of the dash all the way to the windshield. You can see that seam in this picture traversing vertically about half way between the tachometer gauge and the left edge of my phone, it is also right in line with the tip of the Wiper Wand.

Using the edge of a credit card, I then pressed the cable even further into this seam in small sections. It's fairly snug, but presses in with relative ease at the same time. If you keep working small sections from bottom to top, you can get the cable all the way through that seam and into some open space behind the dash. From here, I merely positioned the cables exit point parallel with the bottom of the phone, and pulled back on any excess so I had about 6" of cable sticking out of that seam.

When I do need to plug in, which is not all that often, the cable is right there next to the phone, with just enough cable to power the phone with no slack or dangling cable. When I'm not plugged into the phone, I flex the cable to the left and tuck the Lightning connector into the gap between the steering column and the dash right where the steering column projects through the dash. This is a perfect spot to stick the unused end of the cable. It stays put. I end up with an inconsequential 4" loop of exposed cable from where it comes out from the slot in the dash to where the open end is tucked in along side the steering column, and because this small loop is behind the Wiper Wand, it's almost impossible to see from the drivers seat, but I know it's there when I need it.
Please show a picture of the wire coming out of the dash (w/o phone and not tucked away at steering column). Thanks!

Old 05-21-2016, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Please show a picture of the wire coming out of the dash (w/o phone and not tucked away at steering column). Thanks!
At your service my friend...

Close-Up of exit point:

Showing entire length of exposed charging cable:

Tucked into stowed position:

The following 2 users liked this post by IronMike:
Smoke Em (05-21-2016), Unhingd (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. While the Scosche is a great and unobtrusive solution, I prefer not to glue to glue anything anywhere even if it is easy to remove with dental floss. The iMagnet is a great alternative solution for temporary applications.
Debating the pros/cons of either the small footprint Scoshe adhesive and the Scoshe suction cup model.

Amazon.com: Scosche MAGWSM2 MagicMount Suction Mount for Mobile Mevices: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Scosche MAGWSM2 MagicMount Suction Mount for Mobile Mevices: Car Electronics

Just wondering if the carbon dash is smooth enough to work perfectly with a suction cup.

I'm torn between the two because I see the adhesive mount is smaller but the suction mount is portable between cars and your office desk.

I'm ok with the adhesive solution rather than constantly fumbling with the suction mount if it self-releases every few days do to air lock release. Anyone with the suction solution have any comments re: suction release do to non window smoothness of dash?

Another variable seems to be that the suction model has a swivel and the adhesive model seems to have a fixed angle of view. Could someone elaborate on this as to if its a potential factor.

Attached Thumbnails Best place to mount a smartphone in the F-Type?-41bqpsh2gfl.jpg   Best place to mount a smartphone in the F-Type?-41r9va2imel.jpg  

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 05-21-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
Foosh,

Thank you
I routed the charge cable just like IronMike's picture in post #71 above.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-21-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Another variable seems to be that the suction model has a swivel and the adhesive model seems to have a fixed angle of view. Could someone elaborate on this as to if its a potential factor.
No, they both have adjustable viewing angles, and the suction cup version may allow more adjustment, but it's more than necessary. Mounted where it is in pictures above, the adhesive version allows adequate adjustment for the perfect viewing angle.

I tried a suction cup mag mount first in the same location, but it's too tall for my tastes, intruding into the windshield field-of-view.

I like the semi-permanent mount, and until you've used it for a long time you don't realize how convenient it is just to put your phone there all the time even when you're not using it. It just a very secure location for storing your phone in the car. My phone is there every time I drive the car. I have the same mounts in all my vehicles now, where they stay permanently.

With the removable mounts I switched from place to place, it never seemed to be in appropriate car when I wanted it, or I would forget to take it with me.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-21-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

At your service my friend
Great help. Thank you.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

Debating the pros/cons of either the small footprint Scoshe adhesive and the Scoshe suction cup model.

Just wondering if the carbon dash is smooth enough to work perfectly with a suction cup.

I'm torn between the two because I see the adhesive mount is smaller but the suction mount is portable between cars and your office desk.

I'm ok with the adhesive solution rather than constantly fumbling with the suction mount if it self-releases every few days do to air lock release. Anyone with the suction solution have any comments re: suction release do to non window smoothness of dash?

The suction variety is not all that transferable. Don't plan on using it that way. The suction cup is coated with a weak adhesive that is a bear to remove after it's been in place for a few weeks. They are cheap enough, so I bought one for each of my vehicles and just leave them in place. If using the stronger adhesive on the smaller Scosches doesn't bother you, go with that variety.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Default you're right!

at $15 a piece I don't have enough cars for portability to be an issue.

I'll buy a few adhesive Scoshes, one for each car.

A classic example of me overthinking the obvious. Thanks for straightening me out!

Old 05-21-2016, 10:12 PM

at $15 a piece I don't have enough cars for portability to be an issue.

I'll buy a few adhesive Scoshes, one for each car.

A classic example of me overthinking the obvious. Thanks for straightening me out!
You are going to love this phone mount.
I wasn't the first to try a Scosche. Nor was I first to try a magnetic mount. But I do believe it was I who first mounted this version of a Scosche in this location in the F-Type, and it now seems to be the preferred phone mount for many on this forum.
Foosh said it best... So easy, so simple, cost effective, and it just plain works, and well. Glad to be able to offer a little assist to the valued members of this forum.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:26 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default OK, here's mine on the LEFT HAND SIDE

I see most mounting their cell phones in the center somewhere. I found a great spot using the driver's side air vent as a mount point. I had to center the Sojitek mount right on top of the 'Jaguar' logo in the middle of the vent to make it hold tight.

Here's what it looks like empty:

Sojitek holder with wireless charging. Pity InControl Apps only work with USB...

And here's the only exposed cable. Getting into center cubby was easy with 10' cable and tucked under center console along right hand side of drivers seat.

Cable route from holder into steering column space

I might be able to coax that cable into that gap - but not tried that yet...

Old 07-20-2016, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Isn't that obscured by the steering wheel?

Quick Reply: Best place to mount a smartphone in the F-Type?