F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A better visor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 09:06 PM
Received 308 Likes on 199 Posts
Default A better visor?

Anyone taken on re-engineering the visor so it pivots to shade the driver's side window? Land Rovers have pivoting visors, do the newer-than-2017 Fs have them??

Old 07-13-2021, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
Anyone taken on re-engineering the visor so it pivots to shade the driver's side window? Land Rovers have pivoting visors, do the newer-than-2017 Fs have them??
Yep, I have been wanting that since day 1 of F-Type ownership as the sun coming in the side window can be really fierce here in South Oz.
I did a fair bit of research into this and there is no way I could see of making the stock visor pivot, but then again I ain't no engineer!
So I looked at the possibility of fitting a second visor above the driver's window, I even bought some Morzine covering material, but I couldn't figure out a way to mount it securely and at the same time have an up/down mechanism. I thought about some sort of Velcro strip across the roof to hold it in the "up" position but still couldn't figure it out so I gave up on the idea.
I would willingly pay $200 plus if anyone could come up with a simple, neat and workable solution.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:51 PM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

There's always something at Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by SVR 575; 07-13-2021 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by SVR 575:
NavyBlue (09-02-2021), OzXFR (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SVR 575
Interesting, thanks for the link.
I wonder, is it for LHD cars only and no good for RHD (ie not reversible)?
How easy is it to use really or would it be a right royal PITA?
What about the frameless F-Type windows, would it hold in place or not?
What about window tint film, would pulling it down/off tend to catch and scratch or peel the film?
I'm inclined to let someone else be the F-Type guinea pig!

Old 07-14-2021, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Per the manufacturer, it works on either side of the car.

Old 07-14-2021, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Interesting, thanks for the link.
I wonder, is it for LHD cars only and no good for RHD (ie not reversible)?
It appears you get two in the pack, one for each side of the car. In short, it shouldn't matter which side the steering wheel is on, you just use the appropriate blocker for the side of the car you are on.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mahjik
It appears you get two in the pack, one for each side of the car. In short, it shouldn't matter which side the steering wheel is on, you just use the appropriate blocker for the side of the car you are on.
Yep after further reading and research I reckon you are correct.
So I have decided to take one for the team and purchase a "pack".
Will take two or three weeks to get here on the slow boat from China then I will report back.

The following 3 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Mahjik (07-15-2021), scm (07-15-2021), Sparky H (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Let us know!

Old 07-15-2021, 10:19 AM

I looked at the link.. the items from Amazon come in what appears to be a 'solid' and then also the static cling. Reviews of the products are not good. I took that idea and looked elsewhere.. Walmart has a static cling product, 12 x 16. I measured up my window and think I can get two narrow strips from that piece. Best part is that it's $3.97. Going to get one today and will advise.

Attached Thumbnails A better visor?-staticc.jpg  
Old 07-15-2021, 02:03 PM

I looked at the link.. the items from Amazon come in what appears to be a 'solid' and then also the static cling. Reviews of the products are not good. I took that idea and looked elsewhere.. Walmart has a static cling product, 12 x 16. I measured up my window and think I can get two narrow strips from that piece. Best part is that it's $3.97. Going to get one today and will advise.
61% of the reviews are 5 stars, and 17% are 4 stars, I don't think that's bad

Amazon Amazon

Old 07-15-2021, 09:43 PM

Yes, but that is not all of the story.... I like to look at "most recent" reviews, and that is what I based my comment on:

malcolm r banks
1.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS ADVERTISED A SCAM
Reviewed in Canada on January 28, 2021
Size: TuckVisor Blackout 2 PackVerified Purchase
I purchased this same item two years ago. The visors were well made of semi-rigid plastic and worked well. The recent delivery was of two pieces of soft plastic fabric with rough edges that might have been cut by a three year old child.
They are totally unsuitable for the intended purpose and, in my opinion , a total SCAM. Do not waste your money on this item unless you can get real the version shown on the listing. These are a useless substitute. NO STARS

Danny
1.0 out of 5 stars Real garbage or someone switched out the good stuff....
Reviewed in Canada on January 25, 2021
Either this item is complete garbage or someone did a switch-a-roo and took the good stuff. After reading a bunch of reviews, I decided to buy this item only to be completely disappointed. I don’t know what everyone else received but all I got was a poorly cut up piece of film from a roll of tint. It’s not even cut out like in the pictures.

Reviewed in the United States on June 25, 2021
Size: TuckVisor Blackout 1 PackVerified Purchase
Piece of black card stock type paper shaped like a visor. Horrible product

and even from 5-star raters:
Works well but it's basically a piece of laminated black paper.
Reviewed in the United States on April 1, 2021
I really like this product but I didn't realize it's basically a piece of laminated paper. Sort of costly for it to just be that.

Reviewed in the United States on February 8, 2021
Size: TuckVisor Tinted 2 PackVerified Purchase
These installed great. Perfect tint and good shape. They were easily move about but I rolled my window down and the shade is now in the drivers door. I can't budge it.

and from a 3-star:
Reviewed in the United States on April 18, 2021
I received my blackout visors and just like others said it was just a thin rigid black plastic visor. It is easy to install and stayed as long as it’s inside of the jam. It’s easy to move around as long as it can connect inside of the jam. It’s black so it does block out the sun. Two main reasons I only gave it 3 stars.
1) It’s way over priced for a thin piece of black plastic IMHO
2) Each visor has the name of the company in white letters. In the pictures showing the visors, you don’t see the logo but it’s on each side of each visor. One side has it printed which it seems you can’t remove. The other side had a large logo sticker, which was a pain to remove. It may seem trivial but I’d rather not be a mobile advertisement for a company.

I filter the comments by "newest" and lowest, just to see what recent purchasers have to say. Sometimes it's easy to tell the rater is a moron.. like the one who knocked the F type for 'only being a 2-seater' . So we'll see how it works out. I'd love to be wrong. But I bought my $3.97 Walmart window shade cling today and will be testing it this weekend.

The following users liked this post:
SVR 575 (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 06:39 AM

Yes, but that is not all of the story.... I like to look at "most recent" reviews, and that is what I based my comment on:

malcolm r banks
1.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS ADVERTISED A SCAM
Reviewed in Canada on January 28, 2021
I purchased this same item two years ago. The visors were well made of semi-rigid plastic and worked well. The recent delivery was of two pieces of soft plastic fabric with rough edges that might have been cut by a three year old child.
They are totally unsuitable for the intended purpose and, in my opinion , a total SCAM. Do not waste your money on this item unless you can get real the version shown on the listing. These are a useless substitute. NO STARS

Danny
1.0 out of 5 stars Real garbage or someone switched out the good stuff....
Reviewed in Canada on January 25, 2021
Either this item is complete garbage or someone did a switch-a-roo and took the good stuff. After reading a bunch of reviews, I decided to buy this item only to be completely disappointed. I don’t know what everyone else received but all I got was a poorly cut up piece of film from a roll of tint. It’s not even cut out like in the pictures.

Reviewed in the United States on June 25, 2021
Piece of black card stock type paper shaped like a visor. Horrible product

and even from 5-star raters:
Works well but it's basically a piece of laminated black paper.
Reviewed in the United States on April 1, 2021
I really like this product but I didn't realize it's basically a piece of laminated paper. Sort of costly for it to just be that.

Reviewed in the United States on February 8, 2021
Size: TuckVisor Tinted 2 PackVerified Purchase
These installed great. Perfect tint and good shape. They were easily move about but I rolled my window down and the shade is now in the drivers door. I can't budge it.

and from a 3-star:
Reviewed in the United States on April 18, 2021
I received my blackout visors and just like others said it was just a thin rigid black plastic visor. It is easy to install and stayed as long as it’s inside of the jam. It’s easy to move around as long as it can connect inside of the jam. It’s black so it does block out the sun. Two main reasons I only gave it 3 stars.
1) It’s way over priced for a thin piece of black plastic IMHO
2) Each visor has the name of the company in white letters. In the pictures showing the visors, you don’t see the logo but it’s on each side of each visor. One side has it printed which it seems you can’t remove. The other side had a large logo sticker, which was a pain to remove. It may seem trivial but I’d rather not be a mobile advertisement for a company.

I filter the comments by "newest" and lowest, just to see what recent purchasers have to say. Sometimes it's easy to tell the rater is a moron.. like the one who knocked the F type for 'only being a 2-seater' . So we'll see how it works out. I'd love to be wrong. But I bought my $3.97 Walmart window shade cling today and will be testing it this weekend.
Good digging Val, like you I normally look at the good reviews and the 1 stars to get a real feel for the product, but my bad this time for not!

And a shout out to @OzXFR, if the product turns out to be junk I owe you a drink and if it's good well I've never been known to refuse

Old 07-17-2021, 10:07 AM

Thank you, internet's good for some things, but really great for being able to share as we do in this forum. It will be interesting to read what OZ has to say! I'm really hoping that some of the truly great engineering minds that I have followed here have a better solution than my Walmart cling.

SVR 575 (07-18-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

My TuckVisor "pack" just arrived, see post #3.
It's a single reversible piece of plastic, not a "twin pack" like some surmised.
Very easy to fit in place, you can then slide it back and forward along the window, and easy to store between the seat and the centre console (better/easier on the passenger side I reckon).
No chance to test it properly here for a while yet seeing as it's mid-winter and we are in lockdown, so I can't tell yet how well it works at stopping sun glare or how well it stays put or does/does not rattle while driving but I will report back once I have given it a proper test.
That said it seems a bit expensive for what it is.

Old 08-15-2021, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member

Update - got my first chance to properly use this gadget this morning and I can report it works great!
Of course it only works when the sun is in a fairly limited range but when the sun is in that area and would otherwise be really annoying the gadget stops the glare in its tracks.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:43 AM

Did you order the blackout? or the tint? Did it look like a 3 year old had cut it out or was it like the photo on the Amazon site you linked?

Old 08-15-2021, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Did you order the blackout? or the tint? Did it look like a 3 year old had cut it out or was it like the photo on the Amazon site you linked?
I bought the one linked in posts 3 and 4.
Looks OK like the one on the Amazon site.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:57 PM
Default And so I took a chance.....

Based on Oz's good luck with what he ordered, I took a chance and ordered a twin/two-pack of the "tint" static cling. I figured that even if I only needed one, a second as backup would be good. Not sure what other buyers were sent, but my tint 'clings' are as described. Don't look like a 3 year old cut them out. If they cling, for me it's not necessary, as I just press them up in between the window and the seal and they stay there. Probably need to peel off a protective layer of some sort, but not a priority for me as of now. For those comments in the reviews on Amazon, said they ordered two and only got one... it's possible that the two are REALLY stuck together, as mine were. Took photos... one holding the 'visor' up against the inside looking out of garage door, so you can see tint/no tint and then in place on the car. I kept the packaging, and will store them in there until I figure out a better method (hang them up on the garment hook behind front seat?)

Attached Thumbnails A better visor?-100_2919.jpg   A better visor?-100_2923.jpg   A better visor?-100_2920.jpg   A better visor?-100_2921.jpg   A better visor?-100_2922.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
lens_jag (09-04-2021), SVR 575 (09-02-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

The chrome / browser extension fake spot is helpful... it grades retailers on Amazon, and grades products, including reliability of reviews. Buy brand names on Amazon, because there's 1000s of knock off brands of fake / poorly made products misrepresenting themselves, as well as getting 1000s of fake reviews. It's helpful to always look at 1-star reviews to see if any reviewers mention fake reviewers, but Fakespot has saved me. Works on IOS, Android, and Firefox browser as well: https://www.fakespot.com/

The worst are all the fake / poorly made "high end computer cables". Just the WORST.

lens_jag (09-04-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 11:51 AM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

It’s unfortunate that you have just come out from under your misogynist rock and feel it’s necessary to make fun of a woman with a physical disability. It’s now 2021 and this sort of thing is no longer acceptable and has no place in these forums.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Someone needs a life. FYI, that visor looks like garbage.

Last edited by 19FRG; 09-03-2021 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: A better visor?