F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike carrier for R convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 08:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bike carrier for R convertible

I see there is an old post regarding this but doesnt seem to have been resolved. I was wondering if anyone has came across a carrier for the R conv. I am in the UK and found a company in California called Birdautomotive who apparently make and supply one (not cheap when factor in shipping costs - but there you go), has anyone came across their product ? Any advise/pointers would be appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited by shaun james; 02-22-2021 at 08:06 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling
Old 02-23-2021, 02:55 AM
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi,

Yes I have the Birds kit and based in the UK. I previously had it installed on my Z4, then bought a new "underside" section to make it compatible with the F-type. Same kit works for both V6 and V8.

Let me know if you have any questions, but it really does work well. I always take the wheels off (29er) and put them in the boot so the lights are still visible as I don't have a lighting board.
I had it powder coated black. You're right, it's not cheap, but then neither is a towbar install and carrier on a "normal" car.

Nothing better than enjoying your best roads to get to the biking trails, blast round and head home the long way. Perfect day out. I have a far more practical daily, but that would be too boring

Last edited by scz4; 02-23-2021 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:35 PM
Thumbs up I use it here in California...

I use the same bike rack.
I also use it with a mountain bike. I don't take the wheels off as they take up too much space in the trunk!
My rack is supposed to be capable of holding two bikes. But I don't see how I'd get two mountain bikes on this. But that's ok, if I'm bringing another, I'll use one of my other cars!
Maybe two bikes is easier if you are using Road Bikes (?).

FYI - I can't make it up my driveway with the rack on... scrapes...
Likewise, half the places I ride my mountain bike don't have a nice parking area where I can get this car off the road! But that's not a function of the bike rack so much as the lack of good off street parking near the trails.

(took the car in for service earlier this week and got some strange looks . I guess they don't see too many of these with bike racks!)

Old 02-26-2021, 04:33 PM
Default I use it here in California...

I use that same bike rack. Yes, it's expensive. However, I haven't found an alternative so I went with them. Less risk for me though as they are only about an hour's drive from me!

I also use it with a mountain bike but don't take the bike wheels off. They take up too much room in the trunk!
My rack is supposed to be large enough for two bikes but I don't see how that can happen with mountain bikes. Maybe two road bikes fits (?).
Also noteworthy - I can not drive up my driveway with the rack on, otherwise it scrapes on the far back of the rack. Driving into some grocery store parking lots scrapes too.

Old 02-27-2021, 03:29 AM
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah definitely wouldn't carry two mountain bikes on mine, in fact I cut back the tubing before powder coating so can only get one on now anyway.

Are you not worried people can't see your brake lights and rear end you? Destroying your lovely bike and car?

If I ever move to a coupe (got a puppy now that I'd like to take to the trails) then I'd use seasuckers.

The following users liked this post:
Dave94024 (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 03:38 AM

Thanks lads for your replies fully appreciate taking the time. Dave94024, I also have a quite steep driveway at home and office so this may cause problems. More importantly it will be used by me with my son for weekend trips so would need to carry 2 x large (22") frame mountain bikes with wheels attached otherwise no room for baggage. SC24 thanks for bringing up lights, never thought of that. Overall I think its not a workable option for me. Very pleased I posted think it saved me £800 but it might work for others. Might have to look at tow-bar option but got a feeling may hit same problems with the height as I dont want to have to cut into rear valance. Head now battered ha ha. Thanks again fellas and if you come across anything out there give me a shout. Cheers. Shaun.

Dave94024 (02-27-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave94024
I use the same bike rack.
I also use it with a mountain bike. I don't take the wheels off as they take up too much space in the trunk!
My rack is supposed to be capable of holding two bikes. But I don't see how I'd get two mountain bikes on this. But that's ok, if I'm bringing another, I'll use one of my other cars!
Maybe two bikes is easier if you are using Road Bikes (?).

FYI - I can't make it up my driveway with the rack on... scrapes...
Likewise, half the places I ride my mountain bike don't have a nice parking area where I can get this car off the road! But that's not a function of the bike rack so much as the lack of good off street parking near the trails.

(took the car in for service earlier this week and got some strange looks . I guess they don't see too many of these with bike racks!)
Ive been hauling 29ers on my cars since the term was invented. That rack will carry 2 mountain bikes. Set the uprights at the same high level and load the bikes head to tail. The bikes will not be level but will be criss crossed. You might have to remove the seats to get them close enough together, making more room for the handle bars.

Dave94024 (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 08:26 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Lance, is this what you’re referring to?

Old 03-06-2021, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Lance, is this what you’re referring to?

Yes, but that’s more like a 49er wheel.