F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Exhaust Soot--What??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 01:08 AM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Black Exhaust Soot--What??

My "R" is leaving black sooty exhaust droplets on my garage floor.

This is not the usual stuff that flies out the tailpipes--I get that. No, these daily start-up drippings come from both inlet pipes (pre-muffler) and pool into a nice black mess. After once again cleaning up the build-up so I don't track it into the house, I tried cinching up the inlet clamps (see pic). Both were already super-tight. I drop the Jag off at my dealer to take a peek. After looking it over, they tell me that they can't touch it due to warranty concerns. What? No reclamping? No heat-resistant sealant? No minor weld in a pinch? Nope. Nada. So I called Jaguar USA. They check around and call me back. "Sorry, but this is normal. The drippings you are seeing are just occurring at the lowest point in the exhaust." They end up telling me the same thing about invalidating my warranty and suggest a drip pan.

I've had my share of vehicles, as have many of you, but I haven't seen one of them pulling this trick. My garage floor is certainly no shining example of Mr. Clean, but come on. Really, Jaguar?

What do y'all think? Any of you have this happening?

Black Exhaust Soot--What??-exhaust-stain-4.jpeg

Black Exhaust Soot--What??-exhaust-stain-5.jpeg

Black Exhaust Soot--What??-exhaust-stain-3.jpeg

Last edited by deltagroup; 09-04-2014 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-04-2014, 01:45 AM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes,

I've had this happen. Revving it in the garage too eh? Sounds glorious in there

Just relax dude. Paint ur garage floor next year.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:37 AM
Received 98 Likes on 56 Posts

I would just use a high temperature exhaust/header sealant like 907GF Severe high temperature. Find someone with a lift and pull the two sections apart and reseal.

Walt

Old 09-04-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by alexg
Yes, I've had this happen. Revving it in the garage too eh? Sounds glorious in there Just relax dude. Paint ur garage floor next year....
To use my son's expression, Alex, "I'm not tripping over it," And as inspiring as your idea might be, painting ain't gonna happen going forward, heh.

Originally Posted by WaltB
I would just use a high temperature exhaust/header sealant like 907GF Severe high temperature. Find someone with a lift and pull the two sections apart and reseal.
Thanks, Walt. A high-temp sealant was the resolution I proposed to the dealer.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you "warm" up the car in the garage? Condensation will mix with normal soot, but usually you'll only get that from a cool exhaust system. I'd also suspect a rich condition that's producing black soot as a result of combustion.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had a bit of the same thing happen. And I haven't seen it in any other car I've had either. I agree it's a bit odd. And Jag's reaction is even more odd...

Old 09-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Same thing here---- I just clean it up as I have had the car on the rack and absent of welding (wont weld, need the pipes to flex); the soot will continue.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I've had other cars do this 'dripping from the exhaust' apparently due to the condensation etc.. Now I don't usually warm my cars up stationary for more than a minute, so it doesn't happen any more. My experience is once warmed up, the dripping stops.
Lawrence

Old 09-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Jag has said that in order to get the great exhaust note and the pops and crackles, they dump fuel into the exhaust stroke - so you get that down the chain and it leads to more soot due to the rich mix.

If you haven't had it with other cars, it is probably because most of the time they go out of their way to avoid this situation - and Jag has purposely engineered it in.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

You don't want to plug that. It's designed to run off the moisture in the exhaust system. It could cause the exhaust to rust/corrode if you don't allow it to run off.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Makes sense. The tips are angled up so the water has to go somewhere. It would be bad if the water just pooled inside the exhaust.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Don't see it

Don't seem to have this problem with my V8-S but that may be because, here in California, we have forgotten what water looks like.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Does the base model V6 have this problem too or just if you turn on active exhaust?

Old 09-05-2014, 08:46 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I haven't seen this in the V6S, but I don't idle the car much.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by omgomg
Jag has said that in order to get the great exhaust note and the pops and crackles, they dump fuel into the exhaust stroke - so you get that down the chain and it leads to more soot due to the rich mix.

If you haven't had it with other cars, it is probably because most of the time they go out of their way to avoid this situation - and Jag has purposely engineered it in.
Sounds like the best reason ever to keep it around!! I'll stop cleaning it up and give it a smile when I see it if it's helping me get that sound!!!

Old 09-05-2014, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Y'all gave me some great insights, as I've come to expect on this forum.

Just to respond to some of your thoughts--

--Alexg, you reminded me that very few things in life are truly important. Black sooty exhaust isn't one of them.

--Philipintexas, the droppings happen immediately at cold start-up. Yes, the car runs rich, especially with the supercharger. Need to stay rich on boost to avoid detonation and other bad things. I purposely ran aggressively rich fuel maps on some of my turbo cars to ensure safety on the top-end.

--vic55, you're right. The soot will continue.

--Mulmur, just to clarify, those sooty droplets I described are not coming out of the tailpipes; they are dripping from the clamped connections of both inlet pipes just prior to entering the muffler.

--omgomg, I agree with your statement about being "purposely engineered," concluding now that this is exactly what Jaguar intended. Every factory power-added application I've had (supercharger or turbo) has run rich. Of course, as you say, it's also part of those sweet exhaust pops and crackles.

--Torrid, I've come 180 on this to your way of thinking. Though there is water (and rust) in any exhaust system, Jaguar has purposely designed these inlet clamps to release excessive water. (Perhaps a way to avoid excessive moisture from entering/interfering with the Active Exhaust bypass valves?)

--mm767cap, ditto. I love those droplets now, heh.

Again, thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated. Now where did I put my old drip pan?

Old 09-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

More than just running rich, this thread has this link:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...elight-124419/

2014 Jaguar F-Type is calibrated for sonic delight - SAE International

Jaguar engineers achieved this by defying convention. "Usually you’d cut the fuel to the cylinders, when the driver lifts off the accelerator," explained Andrew Lowis, the Gasoline Calibration Manager for the car. "We are delaying the point when we do that and igniting later than we might in normal circumstances. It produces a controlled misfire."
Something along the lines of actual fuel getting out the valves on the exhaust stroke, and combustion in the pipes, or at least incomplete combustion in the cylinder (which is basically the same thing).

My friend is very curious to see how long the cats last on the exhaust - hopefully at least through warranty.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:18 PM

Great article. Missed that post earlier. No wonder why Jaguar wants to protect the system. Thanks for sharing.