F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black replacement lugs & locks

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 05:11 PM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Black replacement lugs & locks

I'm looking to swap out to black lugs. I found the black McGard locks like the ones that came with my car:
Amazon Amazon

but I found two non-locking McGard models in black on amazon that it says fit my 2016 ftype:
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Anyone order either of these and confirm they work?
If not, What did you order that worked?

Old 07-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

You need "flat washer" type lug nuts with OEM wheels (and it seems you have Tornadoes), both of those linked are "cone" type and therefore unsuitable. If you fitted them they would gradually wear away at the inside edges of the lug holes in the wheels.
There is another thread around here somewhere about recently released Gorilla brand black chrome lug nuts that are "perfect" for OEM JLR wheels, and believe me I have spent many an hour on the Interwebz looking for just this type of lug nut and until now have never found any.

The following users liked this post:
Greggbhill (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Oz is correct. If you have any OEM Jaguar style wheel, an acorn style lug nut is not a correct fit, and likely not all that safe either...
Click here...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...4/#post1711383

Have not found any black locking nuts with the "mag style" seat.

Last edited by IronMike; 07-02-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Mag seat Toyota or Mitsubishi are a fit w/ seating washer.

$<30 for a set. It is a lugnut, some fancy name brand means very little.

Only negative is 21mm vs 19mm stock so you must add a 21mm to the trunk kit. Get a thin-walled 21mm with plastic outer coat and the tight fit won't result in wheel scratches.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-pcs-Black...YAAOSwhOdXpAv3

Amazon Amazon

Torque to 92 ft lbs

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 07-02-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

You need to be careful about those 21 mm lug nuts.
I bought the exact same ones as in Burt's link above, and they seemed to fit OK, but within the first 100 yards I had noise & vibration from the rear of the car which quickly got worse. Only from the rear. I thought it might be the "knurly" bits at the base of the barrel (next to the washer) sticking out enough to cause a problem so I spent some time filing those bits off (on just the rear nuts). I'm fairly sure those bits are designed purely to keep the washers captive. Anyway, it didn't do the trick, the next test drive was better but after about 1 mile the noise and vibration was back again and getting worse as I crept back home. I then had a closer look at the new lug nuts and compared them to the OEM nuts, and I think I spotted the problem. The new ones have a longer barrel by about 2 mm, caused by the OEM nuts having a much thicker washer, and I'm thinking that the nuts on the rear wheels were not seating fully to the washer, instead they were seating to the end/base of the nut.
Why this was the case on the rears only and not a problem on the fronts I'm not sure, but it's got to be due to one or both of two things - I have 15 mm spacers on the rear and the rear wheels are a fair bit wider than the front wheels (10.5" vs 8.5") so the nuts seem to fit a lot more recessed. The thread length on the spacers seems good to me and the same as the stock thread length, although I haven't measured them, and I haven't tried removing the spacers and then using the new lug nuts.
Moral of the story - depending on your wheels (type and size) and whether or not you are using spacers, these particular lug nuts may or may not work.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Mine work fine for 2k miles/5 months so far. 17mm spacers all around also.

The lugs are making it to the wheel, not the end of the bolt on mine. If that were not the case I'd do what I had to do to get the spacer fitting correctly under the wheel - I'd shave off 1.5-2mm to the spacer lugs.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
You need to be careful about those 21 mm lug nuts.
I bought the exact same ones as in Burt's link above, and they seemed to fit OK, but within the first 100 yards I had noise & vibration from the rear of the car which quickly got worse. Only from the rear. I thought it might be the "knurly" bits at the base of the barrel (next to the washer) sticking out enough to cause a problem so I spent some time filing those bits off (on just the rear nuts). I'm fairly sure those bits are designed purely to keep the washers captive. Anyway, it didn't do the trick, the next test drive was better but after about 1 mile the noise and vibration was back again and getting worse as I crept back home. I then had a closer look at the new lug nuts and compared them to the OEM nuts, and I think I spotted the problem. The new ones have a longer barrel by about 2 mm, caused by the OEM nuts having a much thicker washer, and I'm thinking that the nuts on the rear wheels were not seating fully to the washer, instead they were seating to the end/base of the nut.
Why this was the case on the rears only and not a problem on the fronts I'm not sure, but it's got to be due to one or both of two things - I have 15 mm spacers on the rear and the rear wheels are a fair bit wider than the front wheels (10.5" vs 8.5") so the nuts seem to fit a lot more recessed. The thread length on the spacers seems good to me and the same as the stock thread length, although I haven't measured them, and I haven't tried removing the spacers and then using the new lug nuts.
Moral of the story - depending on your wheels (type and size) and whether or not you are using spacers, these particular lug nuts may or may not work.

I have 5 of Burt's lugs in my office. When I thread one on to an extra Wheel Spacer/Adapter that I have sitting around, there are three identifiable fitment issues.
  1. The overall depth of the throat on the Toyota/Mitsubishi lug appears to be questionable... any variance in the mfg. tolerance or any debris inside the lug, and this lug will bottom out on the stud before securing the wheel to the hub. One could of course grind down the studs...
  2. The length of the stem below the washer is exactly the same, if not thousandths longer, than the thickness of the metal in my Storm wheels. This means the stem may well be bottoming out on the hub before the washer firmly draws and seats the wheel against the hub. One could add a second washer to space the stem further out, but that would require finding the correct washer, and I have no concept of what a second washer would do to the security of a properly torqued lug... The stem on the Gorilla Jaguar lugs are 2.5 - 3mm shorter, which eliminates this potential problem, as well as the next.
  3. The threads on the studs of my spacer/adapters do not start for a millimeter or more from the face of the adapter... i.e. there is 1 to 3mm of unthreaded stud exposed. I can plainly see daylight - up to 1 mm - between the face of the adapter and the stem of a hand tightened lug nut. Might be able to close the gap with enough torque, but here again, you have a mechanical barrier to a firm and proper seat. In this instance, one could grind 1 to 2mm of the bottom of the lug...
Why go though any of these steps to save a few bucks on the cost of lugs when we are dealing with a major safety fitment here.

OzXFR (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

I used measuring metal thread/tape (forget the name) to see if my particular ones were bottoming out. They are not.

I agree IronMike. I went with these because at the time they were the only option for BLACK. Plenty of Gorilla chrome and others at the time but no black option, especially 19mm.

If someone has found the proper BLACK magseat type 19mm option I am all ears.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
I used measuring metal thread/tape (forget the name) to see if my particular ones were bottoming out. They are not.

I agree IronMike. I went with these because at the time they were the only option for BLACK. Plenty of Gorilla chrome and others at the time but no black option, especially 19mm.

If someone has found the proper BLACK magseat type 19mm option I am all ears.
See post #3 and the link in it.
You want Gorilla part # 73138JBC.
(I want them too but no-one in Oz stocks them and the postage cost from the US is horrendous!)

Old 07-03-2017, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
See post #3 and the link in it.
You want Gorilla part # 73138JBC.
(I want them too but no-one in Oz stocks them and the postage cost from the US is horrendous!)
Sending you a PM...

Old 07-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Summit has the black 19mm Mag for $250 a set? 9x the cost of generic ones that work fine. When the price is reasonable somewhere - under $150 - I might go that route but $12 per lugnut is 'nuts.'

Old 07-04-2017, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Summit has the black 19mm Mag for $250 a set? 9x the cost of generic ones that work fine. When the price is reasonable somewhere - under $150 - I might go that route but $12 per lugnut is 'nuts.'
America's Tire is a lot cheaper than that. Summit Racing is a rip off.
This is America's Tires internal part number for a 20 piece set. 78957
Buy them individually using Gorilla's part number and it's a lot more money.

Last edited by IronMike; 07-04-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Greggbhill (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 05:45 PM

I just ordered from the local America's Tires - they were under $150

Old 07-05-2017, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member

Hmm - I buy a set myself for that price and swap down the road. Would be worth it to be 19mm alone.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:44 PM

Before:

After:

Will be painting the locks with peelable paint. Until they have black locks I figure the peelable paint will work - I shouldn't be taking them off much, and easy to touch up.

Mbourne (07-15-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 08:46 PM

OEM compared to gorilla blacks:

The following 4 users liked this post by Greggbhill:
Burt Gummer (07-15-2017), JgaXkr (07-15-2017), Mbourne (07-15-2017), Panthro (07-15-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Why go though any of these steps to save a few bucks on the cost of lugs when we are dealing with a major safety fitment here.
When the JLR OEM lug nuts look like this, I'll replace it with anything!

Burt Gummer (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member

Amen to that!

Old 07-18-2017, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by amr42
When the JLR OEM lug nuts look like this, I'll replace it with anything!
What the hell are you guys driving around in? I'd expect to see that in salted road country, but Georgia? Maybe mine would look that way too if I didn't use never-sieze on them.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:09 PM

Just because your gps takes you into a swamp or the ocean, you really should not drive into the water... just sayin'

https://vimeo.com/15390422