F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blackstone oil report (first of many)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default blackstone oil report (first of many)

I bought this car pre owned and the first thing I wanted to do was get the break in oils out of the car (and get its first year's maintenance). Had no idea the oil had to be sucked out. I'm finding that to be awesome actually when I start doing the oil change myself.

Jaguar of Chantilly was happy to fill a ball jar for me to get it tested. Here is the results. I suspect they're going to differ from national averages a bit over time as they're kind of a specialty. Either way should be good to have a baseline to refer to in the future.

15-ftype-091515.pdf-t=1444574183804.pdf

The following users liked this post:
buickfunnycar.com (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Thanks for sharing, I got mine out at 3601 miles and was glad I did...

Old 10-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I pulled a sample at about 500 miles, and will pull another soon. I'm at almost 3000 miles now, and plan on changing the oil when I get there. This sample reads lower in some areas than my 500 mile sample. Are you sure that yours was still the original fill?

As for the suction part: I didn't realize that either until I removed the filler cap to draw out a sample, and the suction tube is right there. I'm used to drawing intermediate samples through the dipstick tube, but the lack of a dipstick had me worried; unnecessarily, it turns out.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Thanks for sharing, I got mine out at 3601 miles and was glad I did...
Yeah - I was a little miffed to hear Jaguar say 10,000 miles for first oil change. Any one who's got experience with building engines will tell you that its not recommended to go that long on the first oil change.

Also, surprised to see the fuel dilution as low as it is. Normally on direct injection engines you typically see the cylinder walls get 'washed' a bit more from the fuel.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by speedhacks
Yeah - I was a little miffed to hear Jaguar say 10,000 miles for first oil change. Any one who's got experience with building engines will tell you that its not recommended to go that long on the first oil change.
Most 'engine builders' are 20 years out of date with modern engine technology.

kamiar (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Most 'engine builders' are 20 years out of date with modern engine technology.
Truth. I understand doing an early oil change after break in for peace of mind, but there is absolutely no reason to change oil every 3000 miles. If you do that you're just wasting money.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Truth. I understand doing an early oil change after break in for peace of mind, but there is absolutely no reason to change oil every 3000 miles. If you do that you're just wasting money.
+1.

I also understand a first early oil change and did one as well. But after that, changing every 3K miles since the advent of synthetic oils many years ago is just plain silly. Might as well also change the air in your tires while your at it.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

My C30 specified 7500 mile intervals on conventional oil, with synthetic as optional. The following year synthetic became standard. The first 5 years of scheduled maintenance was included, and I wasn't sure if that was a cost-cutting measure or actually appropriate. Since that was the first car I didn't split the 7500 interval in half, I started the oil analysis to make sure things were OK.

I was pulling samples at 5000 and again at 7500 when I was getting it changed, and the analyses were all good. The 5K samples were also tested for TBN, as were some of the 7.5K samples. There was nothing to indicate that 10K miles wouldn't have been OK too, and this is a turbocharged car.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:34 PM

Well. I was more referring to the initial oil change vs the subsequent ones. I'm well aware of oil lasting way longer than it used to. Cleaning out all the manufacturing particles and such.

Foosh (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I guess I don't plan on keeping car long enough to worry about non scheduled oil changes. I doubt in my 2-3 year ownership it would make any difference. I will never own any of these class of cars that are not on factory warranty or CPO. If there is a problem it's Jag's problem.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Oil get's changed on every vehicle in the fleet once a year regardless of miles...

Old 10-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Oil get's changed on every vehicle in the fleet once a year regardless of miles...
Yes, I do agree on that.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Since that was the first car I didn't split the 7500 interval in half, I started the oil analysis to make sure things were OK.
OEM oil change intervals are already conservative and suit the lowest common denominator of drivers. Cutting them in half again is just wasteful.

Sending out oil samples at anything less than short interval (say monthly) is meaningless. Analysis is only useful in seeing deviations from a trend. This might be cost effective for a large commercial fleet that push vehicles hard and look for every bit of savings possible but beyond getting a feel-good, pretty useless for the average car enthusiast.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Also, surprised to see the fuel dilution as low as it is. Normally on direct injection engines you typically see the cylinder walls get 'washed' a bit more from the fuel.
Funny, I swear the manual, and my dealer told me it was "early, or 16,000 miles"

yeah, Sixteen Thousand...

Old 10-11-2015, 04:37 PM

That's about average for today's cars.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

OEM oil change intervals are already conservative and suit the lowest common denominator of drivers. Cutting them in half again is just wasteful.
My previous experience with turbocharged cars predated water-jacketed center sections. I had analyses done to prove to myself that the oil was going to last under the conditions I drive. If they manufacturer is doing the maintenance at no extra charge (not free, but included with the purchase) their motivation is to spend as little as possible. It's good enough to avoid unnecessary warranty repairs but is not necessarily best for longevity well beyond the warranty period.

Sending out oil samples at anything less than short interval (say monthly) is meaningless. Analysis is only useful in seeing deviations from a trend. This might be cost effective for a large commercial fleet that push vehicles hard and look for every bit of savings possible but beyond getting a feel-good, pretty useless for the average car enthusiast.
I don't agree, but perhaps I'm not the average car enthusiast. Monthly data points are not necessary to establish a trend. I've been averaging more like four data points per year. Also, deviations from a norm are useful, and Blackstone provides those. I'm not doing the analyses to get every little bit of savings. I've committed myself to a primary vehicle from a manufacturer that is looking good now, but has not always enjoyed their current reputation for reliability.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:43 PM

That's about average for today's cars.
I don't mean to be brash - but I have to call you on "today's cars."

If every car had 550hp and was supercharged I could understand this. This statement does not take into consideration of varying degrees of abuse, heat, and climate.

I would say that I drive my f-type fairly hard when I can. I understand that the downside of it is more frequent oil changes (least what I've been told to up to now). What does this say about the people that track their cars? Does 7500 miles of racing environment change any of this?

Jaguar specific oil may compensate for this ... I honestly don't know.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:44 PM

I also know we're mostly beating a dead horse.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I don't mean to be brash - but I have to call you on "today's cars."

If every car had 550hp and was supercharged I could understand this. This statement does not take into consideration of varying degrees of abuse, heat, and climate.

I would say that I drive my f-type fairly hard when I can. I understand that the downside of it is more frequent oil changes (least what I've been told to up to now). What does this say about the people that track their cars? Does 7500 miles of racing environment change any of this?

Jaguar specific oil may compensate for this ... I honestly don't know.
Oil is oil is oil... it doesn't matter what you use, as long as its brand name. Yes racing your car can hurt the oil if you overheat it, and will wear down the additives more quickly, but no one here is doing that consistently enough to be a factor. The fact is most car enthusiasts are wasting money on oil changes.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Oil is oil is oil... it doesn't matter what you use, as long as its brand name.
Wow...I wouldn't even know where to start with this comment. Maybe with: by all means throw some SA grade motor oil in that cat and see how long she purrs. The additive packages are as or more important than the oil itself and are not universally compatible with all engine designs.

The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Arne (10-14-2015), IRRBrogue (10-13-2015), Thunderjet Racing (05-23-2024)

Quick Reply: blackstone oil report (first of many)