F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackstone results

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 05:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Blackstone results

As you see from the first sample, I had some high lead content. Of course this was of great concern. I had previously run some leaded racegas as well as various octane boosters thru the tank so I was very hopeful it was just some fuel blowby. It seems hopeful that was all. Anything else of concern you see? I have searched and compared some other results posted here as well.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

I though leaded gas was a big no-no for catalytic converters and causes them to not work anymore.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
I though leaded gas was a big no-no for catalytic converters and causes them to not work anymore.

I have removed them. It is certainly NOT recommended for cats nor o2 sensors. Low lead aviation gas was all I had available so I blended it. Again, not recommended. I have since sourced unleaded race gas. I only did this when I was preparing for a track hpde or drag event where I wanted to ensure max timing was available to me.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
OP probably decatted the car before running the leaded fuel, otherwise the cats are toast.

Back to the report: everything looks ok except that the Magnesium is off the charts at about 70 times the expected result. Perhaps the lead additive in the racing fuel had a significant magnesium content. If not, you may have a real problem on your hands. It is also obvious that you are not using the JLR approved joy-juice for your crankcase. The titanium levels aren’t high enough to be an approved oil.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
OP probably decatted the car before running the leaded fuel, otherwise the cats are toast.

Back to the report: everything looks ok except that the Magnesium is off the charts at about 70 times the expected result. Perhaps the lead additive in the racing fuel had a significant magnesium content. If not, you may have a real problem on your hands. It is also obvious that you are not using the JLR approved joy-juice for your crankcase. The titanium levels aren’t high enough to be an approved oil.

I noticed the mag content as well, what would you infer that to suggest?

I accidentally ordered the asian/American formula of Liqui Moly (it meets the Ford coyote requirements) , mere weeks before they released they're jlr formula. I am out of warranty so I stopped using the Castrol exclusive. Next change I will go for that new Liqui Moly

Last edited by Colecat; 10-28-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Lance, get your specs on!
Top right of print says "Liqui Moly 0W/20".
Which as we know meets the JLR oil spec just not the high titanium / low molybdenum of the Castrol Unobtainium.

Edit - whoops - missed the OPs latest post which explains this, too slow with the typing fingers yet again!

Edit 2 - which yet again raises the $64,000 question that has never really been answered - if the oil meets the latest JLR spec does it really matter if it doesn't have the high titanium content of the Castrol brew and instead it has high moly level?
IMHO it doesn't "need" the high titanium.

Last edited by OzXFR; 10-28-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:27 PM

My own research stared magnesium levels vary tremendously based on brand. I need to scour the internet for more blackstone tests using Liqui Moly products

Old 10-28-2019, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Lance, get your specs on!
Top right of print says "Liqui Moly 0W/20".
Which as we know meets the JLR oil spec just not the high titanium / low molybdenum of the Castrol Unobtainium.

Edit - whoops - missed the OPs latest post which explains this, too slow with the typing fingers yet again!

Edit 2 - which yet again raises the $64,000 question that has never really been answered - if the oil meets the latest JLR spec does it really matter if it doesn't have the high titanium content of the Castrol brew and instead it has high moly level?
IMHO it doesn't "need" the high titanium.
Looks like both of us have fat fingers and don’t read carefully the first time through.

Anyway, In a recent paper, researchers established that a titanium compound added to engine oil creates a wear-resistant nanoscale layer bound to the surface of vulnerable engine parts, making it a credible substitute for older compounds that do not coexist well with antipollution equipment. I’m guessing JLR has specified the titanium in lieu of other additives to extend the life of the cats and O2 sensors.

The big question is the source of the very elevated magnesium in the OP’s oil.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Looks like both of us have fat fingers and don’t read carefully the first time through.

Anyway, In a recent paper, researchers established that a titanium compound added to engine oil creates a wear-resistant nanoscale layer bound to the surface of vulnerable engine parts, making it a credible substitute for older compounds that do not coexist well with antipollution equipment. I’m guessing JLR has specified the titanium in lieu of other additives to extend the life of the cats and O2 sensors.

The big question is the source of the very elevated magnesium in the OP’s oil.
Hmmm.
I have never used the high titanium content Unobtainium, instead I have always used Oz brands Penrite and Nulon 5W-20 which meet the older JLR spec for the AJ133 and AJ126 in both my XFR and F-Type. Both of these oils have zero titanium but they are high in moly and I have never had a single error message or problem with the cats or the O2 sensors on either car. Maybe I just haven't done enough miles yet (around 45k in the XFR and 40k in the F-Type), either that or (as I suspect) JLR made a deal with Castrol and hyped the "benefits" of titanium.
I think I have commented before about this, but if titanium is so damn good at reducing friction and at the same time not hurting cat converters and O2 sensors why is no other manufacturer that I know of also recommending this special high titanium oil?
Especially seeing as the AJ133 came out in 2009, over 10 years ago now.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:55 AM

Hi Cole,

Thanks for the question.

Magnesium is just a detergent/dispersant additive in the oil itself -- it
helps to keep the engine clean. Some oils use it in significant amounts,
like this Liqui Moly appears to. Other oils don't use much at all, and that
all averages out to the ~300 ppm in the averages column, since not all of
these 5.0L Jaguar engines are running the same oil. When it comes to
magnesium and other additive elements, having more or less than average is
okay.

Sincerely,

Anna Haller
Blackstone Laboratories

The following 4 users liked this post by Colecat:
Carbuff2 (10-29-2019), Noshame (10-29-2019), OzXFR (10-29-2019), Unhingd (10-29-2019)