F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew a hole in front dif

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 08:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Blew a hole in front dif

I was out driving my 2016 F Type R last night and heard a pop after exiting a corner under throttle. I then received a message on the dash saying "2 wheel drive only traction reduced". I thought maybe the dif overheated so I drove home carefully. Turns out there is a hole on top of the front differential. The car only has 20k miles but my powertrain warranty expired in March 2022. Where is the best place to buy a front differential and has anybody replaced one in their garage? I'd like to buy a used dif and do it myself. I haven't gotten a quote from my jag dealer but I assume they will want around $10k. Here is a picture of a piece of metal I found sitting below the dif.

Last edited by rlevine18; 01-14-2023 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:56 PM

Also is it safe to drive in 2wd until I can replace the front dif?

Last edited by rlevine18; 01-14-2023 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

That is absolutely bizarre. I have no answer for you but when and if you find the cause of this, please let us know.

The following 3 users liked this post by sov211:
Carbuff2 (01-15-2023), lossking_ (01-15-2023), winstonsalemncxk (02-14-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

If the hole is in the top, presumably you did not lose (all) oil?
Is it likely that some part of the diff "exploded" and blew out the casing from the inside?
If so, the hole is the result of a more drastic internal issue which would explain why the diff is non functional.
At least the problem does not seem to be causing an immediate driving issue.
Perhaps you can find a used diff to reduce the cost?

Old 01-15-2023, 07:14 AM
Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Diff failure

Rlevine18,

You may not have a positive outcome, but I would still discuss the issue with jaguar and if they will not provide any help I would try to work with corporate. A differential exploding at 20K miles is unacceptable especially for a flagship vehicle. If Jaguar will not help, I would search out salvage yards, eBay etc. as the unit is 7k through jag and that is not counting their labor or the special tools you would need to perform the job.

If the car was tracked for 20k miles or leaked out I could reason with that but average or occasional “spirited driving"?

For the Forum, is there any type of upgrade out there other than changing the fluid more often and inspecting for leaks?

Old 01-15-2023, 10:19 AM
Received 306 Likes on 199 Posts
Default not sure it'll fit, but............

OMG, so sorry to read of this catastrophe! Hope YOU are Ok, and no injury...

Just hit Ebay and found this, not sure if it's the same one or what you need, but it's a start... and if it's not, they (or other sellers on Ebay) may have what you need. Good luck and let us know how this works out!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19543282129...hantid=7866994

Old 01-15-2023, 08:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Jagbits might be worth a try. I know they have parts from salvage cars.

Old 01-17-2023, 07:29 AM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

That is insane. Either like others have suggested, something internal detonated, or there was a defect in the cast of the assembly from manufacturing that finally let loose. While I would highly doubt they will do anything for you, JLR are notorious for not wanting to help, you can't get what you don't ask for and seeing this is such a rare failure. If there is interest by their engineers to get this part back to determine what happened, they could potentially offer you an appeasement to replace as a good faith gesture. Seeing as so many AWD versions of these cars have this part. Again, unlikely, but what do you have to lose by asking for their help?

Old 01-17-2023, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

I would guess that unless there was an internal "explosion" cause, this couls iply not happen.
Alsdo, if there was no internal issue, it is hard to see why case damage alone with no fluid loss would cause a driving problem.

Old 02-14-2023, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by rlevine18
I was out driving my 2016 F Type R last night and heard a pop after exiting a corner under throttle. I then received a message on the dash saying "2 wheel drive only traction reduced". I thought maybe the dif overheated so I drove home carefully. Turns out there is a hole on top of the front differential. The car only has 20k miles but my powertrain warranty expired in March 2022. Where is the best place to buy a front differential and has anybody replaced one in their garage? I'd like to buy a used dif and do it myself. I haven't gotten a quote from my jag dealer but I assume they will want around $10k. Here is a picture of a piece of metal I found sitting below the dif.

Update:

I just had my local dealer install a new front differential that I purchased online. They called me today and it turns out that the transfer case needs to be replaced as well. They also found that the plastic Y coolant pipe is leaking and needs to be replaced. I would highly advise against anybody purchasing an F-Type without a warranty. Unfortunately, I came to this realization the hard way. Tough lesson to learn as a 22 year old so I will be selling the car after repairs are done before something else breaks. I was able to save some money by purchasing parts online instead of through my dealer but they had quoted all three of the repairs (Front diff, transfer case, coolant pipes) about $20,000. Jaguar has been no help at all and refuses to goodwill anything with the car only being a few months out of warranty with 20k miles. Definitely will not be purchasing another JLR vehicle. I also have a VAP lower pulley and tune I have not put on the car yet if anybody is interested in purchasing.

Old 02-14-2023, 07:43 AM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

. I also have a VAP lower pulley and tune I have not put on the car yet if anybody is interested in purchasing.
Interested. Black or silver pulley?

Old 02-14-2023, 08:15 AM

Update:

I just had my local dealer install a new front differential that I purchased online. They called me today and it turns out that the transfer case needs to be replaced as well. They also found that the plastic Y coolant pipe is leaking and needs to be replaced. I would highly advise against anybody purchasing an F-Type without a warranty. Unfortunately, I came to this realization the hard way. Tough lesson to learn as a 22 year old so I will be selling the car after repairs are done before something else breaks. I was able to save some money by purchasing parts online instead of through my dealer but they had quoted all three of the repairs (Front diff, transfer case, coolant pipes) about $20,000. Jaguar has been no help at all and refuses to goodwill anything with the car only being a few months out of warranty with 20k miles. Definitely will not be purchasing another JLR vehicle. I also have a VAP lower pulley and tune I have not put on the car yet if anybody is interested in purchasing.
Damn...that's some bad luck. Sorry it's not been a good ownership experience for you!

Old 02-14-2023, 08:26 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Update:

Hi there. Really sorry to hear about your issues, just horrible luck. I certainly understand your anger and frustration. I am just generally curious if the shop found out the root cause of the damage to the differential casing? Was there damage to the internal gearing that resulted in the piece of casing being blown off? Sorry again.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:26 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Jags are a lot of fun, I own 2 of them. But I'd never say they are Toyota reliable. Just keep in mind that any sports car, including my previous car will fail at some point. My Honda S2000 failed the diff, and utterly blew up the transmission (it actually broke in half when the input bearing seized) within 10K miles of each other. That car did not even make 60K miles without significant mechanical problems. I sold it at 69K when the engine started acting up. So much for Honda quality. The Jag F-Type is a far better car.

As a mechanic, I heard a slight ticking sound and investigated. This is what I found on my Honda S2000.