F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blind Spot Indicator - MY15 F-Type 340hp Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Blind Spot Indicator - MY15 F-Type 340hp Convertible

My MY15 F-Type 340hp Convertible is equipped with the Blind Spot Indicators which I feel is an absolute necessity, especially with the top up. On my former car (also so equipped), if the turn signal was on there would be a warning beep in addition to the illuminated warning icon on the side view mirror. I was curious the F-Type also has the same feature that can be enabled or if we only get the warning icon in the side view mirror(s).

Old 07-10-2018, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by rexus31
My MY15 F-Type 340hp Convertible is equipped with the Blind Spot Indicators which I feel is an absolute necessity, especially with the top up. On my former car (also so equipped), if the turn signal was on there would be a warning beep in addition to the illuminated warning icon on the side view mirror. I was curious the F-Type also has the same feature that can be enabled or if we only get the warning icon in the side view mirror(s).
no beep - at least not in mine (or perhaps, if there is one, it is not enabled). I suspect that it is visual indicators only...but then, we are supposed to be monitoring both the road and the vehicle, aren't we?

Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Over time, the beep might drive you crazy.

There’s fast blinking when cars are approaching. I like that.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
Over time, the beep might drive you crazy.

There’s fast blinking when cars are approaching. I like that.
+1.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:22 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Although it's nice knowing that the blind spot indicator is there, if your side view mirrors are adjusted (dare I say) correctly, you don't need them. I am able to see a vehicle approach from behind in an adjacent lane in the rear view mirror, and as they get closer they show up in one of the side view mirrors. At this point I am able to see them in both the rear and side view mirrors simultaneously. Then I lose them from the rear view and only see them in the side view. As they pass me, they appear in my peripheral vision while still being in the side view. There is no blind spot. And this is in a coupe.

This is the first car in which I have adjusted the side view mirrors in this manner. Now that I have it, I wonder what took me so long!

Last edited by woodturner; 07-11-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by woodturner
Although it's nice knowing that the blind spot indicator is there, if your side view mirrors are adjusted (dare I say) correctly, you don't need them. I am able to see a vehicle approach from behind in an adjacent lane in the rear view mirror, and as they get closer they show up in one of the side view mirrors. At this point I am able to see them in both the rear and side view mirrors simultaneously. Then I lose them from the rear view and only see them in the side view. As they pass me, they appear in my peripheral vision while still being in the side view. There is no blind spot. And this is in a coupe.

This is the first car in which I have adjusted the side view mirrors in this manner. Now that I have it, I wonder what took me so long!
Thank you for your comments. I'll give the mirror adjustment a try but I believe I have them adjusted "correctly". Coupes have the luxury of the quarter window. Convertibles have no visibility beyond the door window when the top is up. You cannot see anything on the driver side and there is a massive blind spot. Coupes to Convertibles = Apples to Oranges.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:24 AM

The easiest way to get them set is, while seated in the driver's seat, lean your head to the left so that your head touches the window. Adjust the left side view mirror in such a way that you just barely sight down the car (only a sliver of the car is visible). Now move your head to the right so that is lined up with the mid-line of the car. Make the same adjustment to the right side view mirror. Now when you sit in a normal driving position there will be no portion of your car in either mirror.

I'd be interested to know if this solves your blind spot issue.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:31 AM

The easiest way to get them set is, while seated in the driver's seat, lean your head to the left so that your head touches the window. Adjust the left side view mirror in such a way that you just barely sight down the car (only a sliver of the car is visible). Now move your head to the right so that is lined up with the mid-line of the car. Make the same adjustment to the right side view mirror. Now when you sit in a normal driving position there will be no portion of your car in either mirror.

I'll give it a go.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by rexus31
Coupes to Convertibles = Apples to Oranges.
You may be correct. I had thought the coupe was the more visually restrictive, but your point is well taken. I'd still like to hear to what extent adjusting your side view mirrors helps (assuming that they are currently adjusted in the manner 98% of drivers have them (and the way I used to have them set)).

The following users liked this post:
rexus31 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:17 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I recently pushed both side mirrors out. I've always like them when I can see just a bit of the side of my car, so that I can see cars coming up from a distance (though they're more often receding in the distance. ) Part of that is because the wind deflector on the convertible is mesh, and while you can see cars through it, it's tough to identify them (i.e. trooper, or not a trooper?)

But I finally pushed the mirrors out to where they should be.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:33 PM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

I have adjusted my mirrors as described above for years (in all of my vehicles), and I agree that it eliminates blind spots. Vehicles approaching from the rear gradually transition from the rear mirror to one of the side mirrors to my peripheral vision (i.e.beside me). When I get in my wife's car, which has the side mirrors adjusted to show directly behind the car, I truly feel that I am driving blind until I adjust the side mirrors.

rexus31 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

+1. This has now been the AAA recommended method of adjusting mirrors for several years now. Coupe or Vert should make no difference...no blind spot. You don’t need the rear side windows.

rexus31 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 05:49 PM

I adjusted my mirrors per the recommendation by woodturner. After a brief orientation period, I have to say, the blind spots are minimal at best. Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 07-13-2018, 12:27 PM

Glad to hear that it yielded an improvement.

rexus31 (07-13-2018)