F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinking Check Engine Light after Hard Pull

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

The first thing I'd suspect with a P0420 is the O2 sensors. There's a sensor before and after the catalyst and the signals are compared to assess cat efficiency. If a sensor goes bad the system can misinterpret the readings. I've heard of more sensor failures than cat failures.

I had a sensor go bad, but I had a different code.

It wouldn't surprise me if the pops and crackles cause early failure of those components though.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
The first thing I'd suspect with a P0420 is the O2 sensors. There's a sensor before and after the catalyst and the signals are compared to assess cat efficiency. If a sensor goes bad the system can misinterpret the readings. I've heard of more sensor failures than cat failures.

I had a sensor go bad, but I had a different code.

It wouldn't surprise me if the pops and crackles cause early failure of those components though.
I am waiting for the final paperwork to be emailed to me with the parts that I replaced, but I could have sworn that the SA stated it was a catalyst issue. 02 makes more sense to me as well.....I will respond back once I see the actual work up of the vehicle next week.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
No need to do an oil change after using BG 44K, but maybe after using the CRC gear.
The difference is the BG 44K potentially cleans up some carbon deposits from the combustion chambers, injectors, fuel lines etc but it doesn't (and can't) touch the inlet tracts or backs of the inlet valves (being a GDI engine) so not a helluva lot of carbon by volume, but the CRC attacks the (possibly large) build ups of carbon crud in the inlet tracts and on the backs of the inlet valves, so potentially a lot more carbon crud being flushed into the oil.
I applied the CRC treatment just after my last oil change a couple of months ago, not by design but because I didn't figure out how to easily apply the CRC treatment until after the oil change.
But when I do my next oil change in four months' time I will apply the CRC treatment immediately before I drain the old oil.
In the long run it probably doesn't make a helluva lot of difference but these engines are fussy with oil quality etc so I figure every little bit helps!
Where did you spray the CRC treatment? Was it at the T that connects the two air filters to the throttle body or where the PCV pipe (I think that is what it is) connects to the left side intake tube from the left side air filter (your passenger side)?

Last edited by RGPV6S; 03-06-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Where did you spray the CRC treatment? Was it at the T that connects the two air filters to the throttle body or where the PCV pipe (I think that is what it is) connects to the left side intake tube from the left side air filter (your passenger side)?
I know you were asking @OzXFR,

But I drilled a small hole in the T as you said, just large enough to insert the aerosol's spray hose. After treatment, I covered the hole with a USD quarter-sized circle of aluminized duct sealing tape (which is resistant to heat, I use it on my house's boiler chimney duct). No issues so far with that, but it's been winter...

I check it each time I open the bonnet. If the removable tape fails, I can plug the hole with a stubby wood-screw.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Into the brake booster vacuum tube, see this post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post2182115
Piece of cake, one man operation and no need to cut or drill anything!

Last edited by OzXFR; 03-06-2020 at 05:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
JgaXkr (03-07-2020), RGPV6S (03-06-2020)