F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinking D while on off ramp and Parking Brake Fault while sitting at stoplight

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 07:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blinking D while on off ramp and Parking Brake Fault while sitting at stoplight

I've got a 2014 F-Type and for some reason even w/ Eco turned off the system seems to disengage the transmission while at slow speeds and won't re-engage until you turn the car off and back on. When this occurs the D blinks and there is a red battery indicator, but once you do the ol' Off and On again routine it starts up everything works fine and I'm off on my way, until it occurs again. Initially i thought it was ECO and just got in the habit of turning it off when I first start the car, but it happened to me 2x on the way into work today.

I've also gotten a weird message when slowing down saying there is a Parking Brake Fault. This has happened 2x me in the last week and as best I can tell there isn't any actual issue. I can probably count on hand the number of times I have used it, and after this last round I did the "calibration" scheme.

Anyone else run across these?

Old 06-14-2022, 07:58 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Do you still have the original battery? There are roughly a million threads here about how sensitive these cars are to battery voltage. If you haven’t replaced the original battery yet, now is the time. If you have a charger, try topping off the battery.

Of course, it isn’t always the battery. But it’s an easy place to start.

Surprised ECO still works for you - my ECO battery died years ago, and I removed it rather than replacing it.

Last edited by DJS; 06-14-2022 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:06 PM

I don’t know if this is the original battery or not. Same goes for the secondary battery (which I know is there and hooked up). I bought the car a few weeks ago and would have assumed the MB dealer I purchased it from would have looked at the batteries considering they did put new tires on.

I’ll have to take a look at the battery and see. This is the first Non-Lucas Electrical Jag I have owned. I wouldn’t have expected it.

Originally Posted by DJS
Do you still have the original battery? There are roughly a million threads here about how sensitive these cars are to battery voltage. If you haven’t replaced the original battery yet, now is the time. If you have a charger, try topping off the battery.

Of course, it isn’t always the battery. But it’s an easy place to start.

Surprised ECO still works for you - my ECO battery died years ago, and I removed it rather than replacing it.

Old 06-14-2022, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

The OP asked the same question just now over on a different forum and this was my response, to save others repeating what I have already said:

"Never read of either of these issues before and there are stacks of reports of various issues on the F-Type over on the Yank forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/
First thing to check is the state of your battery, if it is not fully charged and working 100% it can cause all sorts of weird and wonderful issues, messages and problems. A poorly battery is by far the most common cause of F-Type problems.
Get a good tester on it and see what it says.
If the car still has the original battery from 2014 (maybe even 2013) it is well due for replacement even if it tests out reasonably well.
Whether or not you fit a new battery get yourself a good tender/trickle charger (eg CTEK) and use it regularly, it makes a big difference, my OEM battery from mid-2014 is still going strong (I have a spare on standby if/when the original eventually croaks).
Also get a good code reader (OBD2 plug-in), I use an iCarsoft LR V2.0 which has more than paid for itself, and check the car for codes.
Another thing you should do if you decide to keep the existing battery is do a "hard reset" of the BMS (Battery Management System) by disconnecting the battery for around 30 seconds then reconnecting it. The easiest way to do this is to unbolt the end of the earth/ground lead which runs from the negative battery terminal to a bolt on the floor of the boot/trunk. You would be surprised how often this simple trick, combined with charging the battery overnight, fixes problems on the F-Type.
Last but not least it is very easy to permanently disable the pesky Eco (start/start) system, simply disconnect the earth lead from the secondary/auxiliary/small battery again from where it bolts to the floor of the boot/trunk. Or else you can completely remove that battery, doing so has no effect on anything else."

Old 06-14-2022, 08:32 PM

Thanks 2x… once on this forum and on the other.