Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Engine - 2017 F Type R

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-FType
+1 Isn't this the first blown engine story we have ever had here on the forum? I have been on here for 3 years and don't recall seeing any others... V8 or V6 and many on the site have tuned their cars.

VIN's are now running in the 50k range and at least 1/3 of them are V8's so even if we were to give JVII the benefit of the doubt and assume it was not from someone messing with the safety parameters and pushing the engine beyond its limitations it would still be a very rare and isolated incident.

There is just too much that we don't know about this whole story.
+2

Dave

Old 07-04-2017, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike

To be completely candid, I have been a member of this F-Type forum for over three years, since 2014, before the first Coupe was ever sold. I have seen as many as 10 different tuners show up here with promises of increased performance... each and every one of those offerings were quickly and summarily throttled by the more knowledgeable forum members, demanding documentation, dyno charts, tuning history and other proof of the validity of their claims, all aimed at one thing... the safeness and sanity of their tune! With one exception, every other tuner disappeared as quickly as they appeared on the scene, apparently overwhelmed and daunted by the pressure to prove themselves and their product.

The one tuner that not only survived the onslaught, they embraced the skeptical questioning with openness, transparency and integrity - Velocity AP (VAP) has built a credible following of satisfied F-Type customers and done so by offering a product which has proven time and again to be safe, and they've provided stellar customer service all along the way. To anyone considering a tune, I would not let this owners unfortunate plight deter you, but I would strongly recommend you choose to go with a well-proven commodity.

well said Mike.

Dave

Old 07-04-2017, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Funny how the OP started this thread on 30 June and responded a few times on the same day but has not been heard from since, and in the meantime the thread has grown to 122 posts. Given the lack of detailed information from the OP as to exactly what happened and exactly what "broke", we have all been guessing (some more educated that others) and going around and around in circles!

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (07-19-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I'm an automotive engineer and i'll tell you its not the oil pan. I feel like that trumps being a mechanic.
While I agree with Stohlen that it is unlikely the oil pan design, or we would see many more failures as these engines are widely used in many JLR cars, I disagree that automotive engineer would likely know nearly as much as a good mechanic about how cars fail.

That is, Stohlen you only design cars and test them in some set of controlled circumstances with modeling thrown into the mix. Mechanics see QA results of your entire production run and that also includes "hold my beer" cases. They will know more about possible problems, what causes them, and this is relevant in cases like this.

Last edited by SinF; 07-04-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Funny how the OP started this thread on 30 June and responded a few times on the same day but has not been heard from since, and in the meantime the thread has grown to 122 posts. Given the lack of detailed information from the OP as to exactly what happened and exactly what "broke", we have all been guessing (some more educated that others) and going around and around in circles!
Can't blame him with the type of responses he received in some cases. Anyway his car needs an engine, something that happens from time to time with any brand of car and the tune may have been the factor.

Maybe he will come back and let us know the final outcome once its all worked out.
Lawrence

Old 07-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by akc70
With all that being said, is it safe to say that he can sue the tuner for the price of a new engine. If in the same sitiuation would the site sponser tuners step up to the plate and take care of their customers.
Filing litigation and prevailing are two entirely different things. Litigation is costly and this is not something where a civil attorney is going to take the case on contingency. By the time the experts have been paid and a handful of depositions occur, OP could easily be over $30K before a jury was even seated...and a jury that senses the slightest bit of attitude is not going to be favorably inclined to award a dime, which means OP is then on the hook not only for their own expenses but also very likely will be saddled with the costs of the other party/parties named in the case.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellow Jag owners - I also had problems with my engine but Jaguar never told me if it was related to the engine. I think the F type will be ready for consumer use about 4 model years in.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ftypeLEMON
Hello fellow Jag owners - I also had problems with my engine but Jaguar never told me if it was related to the engine. I think the F type will be ready for consumer use about 4 model years in.
Good Sir! You just took the silliness of this thread to a whole new level! Bravo!!

The following 4 users liked this post by NoScurdyJags:
Cherry_560sel (09-12-2017), mbelanger (07-05-2017), spindoc (07-05-2017), XJ8JR (07-10-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Thinks that make you go hmmmmm......LOL Also, FWIW the F type is 4 model years in now but even the first year 2014's have proven to be relatively problem free.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 07-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a company, I wouldn't advertise the replacement of an engine (under warranty) either.

Also, for those who track their cars, Jaguar North America is now very strict on warranty claims.

Silliness, noscurdyjags? You're right, having an engine grenade a few months in is very silly.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

As a company, I wouldn't advertise the replacement of an engine (under warranty) either.

Also, for those who track their cars, Jaguar North America is now very strict on warranty claims.

Silliness, noscurdyjags? You're right, having an engine grenade a few months in is very silly.
You're "maybe the engine, maybe not" makes possibly three engine failures in Jaguar F types I've heard of on this and other forums. Since they've sold about 50,000 F types, there doesn't seem to be any statistically significant engine related issue IMO.

Cheers,
Dave

mbelanger (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

The silliness comment was towards your statement about needing to be 4 MY in for the car to be consumer ready and yes this thread has turned straight silly, so much heated debate going one way or another when we don't even know what the real cause of the damage was.

Sure a small number of people have had some problems with the car, some issues larger than the others, but it doesn't make F-type a bad car by any means, hell, I'm sure if you scour the Honda and Toyota forums you will find people having similar problems with their cars which are considered some of the most reliable cars on the market.

It happens, yea it sucks when it happens to you, but it happens.

Moving on.... I think we all need to just wait until the OP decides to update this stale thread with some more info, anything else at this point is just continued speculation...

Old 07-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

This came up in another thread

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...0/#post1717818

Note the special attention paid to 'chip tuning'. I think the OP doesn't have a leg to stand on.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
BostonKiller (07-09-2017), SinF (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

I for one am still very interested to know what actually failed on this engine. And then perhaps one can know, or at the very least make an educated guess, as to why it failed.

Up to this point there has been no information on what parts are damaged and what items need to be repaired or replaced on the engine. To only state that an engine is "blown" is over simplistic.

What are the details????

Old 07-09-2017, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by JagRag
I for one am still very interested to know what actually failed on this engine. And then perhaps one can know, or at the very least make an educated guess, as to why it failed.

Up to this point there has been no information on what parts are damaged and what items need to be repaired or replaced on the engine. To only state that an engine is "blown" is over simplistic.

What are the details????
He mentioned oil starvation. That's very likely the cause of the failure. But what caused the oil starvation is completely unknown. We can only speculate.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
He mentioned oil starvation.
The OP admitted not being very mechanically oriented and was simply quoting some otherwise unknown third party 'guy'. A guy who also said that there is a well known design defect with the engine. Not very credible.

I agree we can only speculate. I suggest we blame global warming.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
The OP admitted not being very mechanically oriented and was simply quoting some otherwise unknown third party 'guy'. A guy who also said that there is a well known design defect with the engine. Not very credible.

I agree we can only speculate. I suggest we blame global warming.
No argument there. But that's the best we have to go on thus far. I will say I trust a third party "guy" to recognize oil starvation after a tear down much more than I trust him to make a diagnosis of a faulty oil pan design.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:10 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Guys,

So I'm back. Apologize if I haven't responded to this thread. As I don't need the negativity of all the other forum members.

But all is good after XX,XXX amount of $$$$. Car is up and running, so I'll see the SoCal peeps this Saturday.

I appreciate the people that were nice on this forum trying not to be a GRANDPA.

The following 2 users liked this post by JVIII:
JagRag (07-19-2017), SinF (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 02:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL -- you can certanially find lots of ball busters here !! Glad your up and running --- were you able to have the engine fixed or did you have to replace it ?

Old 07-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by frank james
LOL -- you can certanially find lots of ball busters here !! Glad your up and running --- were you able to have the engine fixed or did you have to replace it ?
Engine was replaced..

JagRag (07-19-2017)