Sponsored by:

Blown Engine - 2017 F Type R

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
I am new to this forum and F type ownership,
always check all fluid levels weekly or before long journey.

First car owned with electronic "dip stick", I generally like modern electronic aids, despite my advancing years, In this instance slightly unnerving the history of oil level measuring issues.

Dip stick preferred, or at least some way of verifying the electronic measure is accurate.

To counter my own scepticism I know we've all relied on float based fuel gauges for years but the consequences of low or empty fuel due to faulty gauge are less damaging than low oil level.

Any words of reassurance from more experienced F type owners (5.0 V8 2015 model probably 2016 US MY)
4 words of reassurance. Check your oil periodically.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unhingd
4 words of reassurance. Check your oil periodically.
How are you guys getting around the "oil level unavailable" message that always seems to show up. Some instructions say the car needs to be warmed up (which I have done), but I always get the same message.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Shikatsu
How are you guys getting around the "oil level unavailable" message that always seems to show up. Some instructions say the car needs to be warmed up (which I have done), but I always get the same message.
There is a wait time of ten minutes or so, for the oil to drain back into the pan for more accurate readings. Until then, you will see that message. Also, try your best to be on level ground.
CRS

The following users liked this post:
Shikatsu (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CRS 123
There is a wait time of ten minutes or so, for the oil to drain back into the pan for more accurate readings. Until then, you will see that message. Also, try your best to be on level ground.
CRS
I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JVIII
Yup, 100% Out of pocket.
How much was it to replace the engine if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

You wont get anything out of the op, he's disappeared.
He was'nt very happy that he got shot down in flames regarding his blown engine!!

Old 09-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Timbo
He was'nt very happy that he got shot down in flames regarding his blown engine!!
Well he hasn't completely disappeared. Participated in the So Cal F-Type Meet and Drive last month in Orange County.
Then merged onto the Frwy. a few car lengths behind me just a few days ago, and quickly pulled up along side as I was departing at the next exit.

I was told Jaguar wanted in the neighborhood of $40K for the new engine. Believe he went independent, so suspect he paid less than that.

Last edited by IronMike; 09-11-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Originally Posted by Timbo
Originally Posted by IronMike
Well he hasn't completely disappeared. Participated in the So Cal F-Type Meet and Drive last month in Orange County.
Then merged onto the Frwy. a few car lengths behind me just a few days ago, and quickly pulled up along side as I was departing at the next exit.

I was told Jaguar wanted in the neighborhood of $40K for the new engine. Believe he went independent, so suspect he paid less than that.
He purchased a Aston Martin last month so that is why he's no longer on here. However, drdonger, he might answer a direct PM if you send him one. I doubt he's going to respond on here due to some of the responses he received from people.

Last edited by FR500GT; 09-11-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:03 PM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Someone care to TL;DR this thread?

Old 09-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
I asked my dealer to do a quote for me today. It came to ~$33K.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR
Someone care to TL;DR this thread?
He put a tune on, not from one of the reputable tuners who advertise here, blew the engine, never explained exactly what blew or why, lots of debate about whether the tune caused the engine to blow or not and whether covered by warranty or not, ended up getting a replacement engine installed at his own cost.

The following users liked this post:
SVR (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
He put a tune on, not from one of the reputable tuners who advertise here, blew the engine, never explained exactly what blew or why, lots of debate about whether the tune caused the engine to blow or not and whether covered by warranty or not, ended up getting a replacement engine installed at his own cost.
You are wrong first of all. His car died of an oil starvation issue. There is something about how the engine is design that can lead to oil starving. I also started experiencing the exact same symptoms as JVIII (but only when on a inclined hill). Fortunately/unfortunately thanks to JVIII issue, I was able to diagnose the issues as a low oil problem and it prevented me having my own blown engine. To restate, the tune did not kill his engine, lack of oil killed his engine, and at the time of his engine failure he was running the VAP tune for months. Which we all know is a solid tune.

Last edited by zmoothg; 09-11-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
You are wrong first of all. His car died of an oil starvation issue. There is something about how the engine is design that can lead to oil starving. I also started experiencing the exact same symptoms as JVIII (but only when on a inclined hill). Fortunately/unfortunately thanks to JVIII issue, I was able to diagnose the issues as a low oil problem and it prevented me having my own blown engine. To restate, the tune did not kill his engine, lack of oil killed his engine, and at the time of his engine failure he was running the VAP tune for months. Which we all know is a solid tune.
Actually he DID put a particularly "aggressive" tune and even documented the problems he was having in that effort in the link below. Certainly there is a possibility that particular tune (likely different from yours) might have led to oil starvation. It does appear that Jaguar also made the decision that they would not cover engine replacement due to him having tuned it. Others may have run a less aggressive tune and not had issues. He actually not VAP tune at all but rather some other less reputable vendor. See the link below

Here is that thread so that anyone here can read and come to their own conclusions...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-178358/page8/

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-12-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Actually he DID put a tune on it and had a LOT of issues related to that particular "aggressive" tune and the problems he was having with that tune. Obviously, there is a possibility that tune itself might have led to oil starvation but the reason he was not able to get it replaced on Jaguar's dime was due to Jaguar denying him coverage due to the tune. Others may have run a less aggressive VAP tune and not had issues, right?

Don't take my word for it, just read the thread here...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-178358/page8/
Did you not just read what I said? I have been running the VAP tune since November, (I have never run any other tune), and I experienced the same issues as JVIII (Note: I only experienced these issues when my car was on an uphill incline). Due to JVIII thread I was able to trace the issue back to oil issues as well. Found out my car was a 1 qt under oil. The dealership topped it back up to full and I have not experienced any issues since, but I now watch my oil carefully. I think having a tune and frequent spirited drives results in heavy oil usage by the car. So even though he did have tunes on his car, including VAP, the problems were not directly caused by the tunes, but by oil levels. Any engine that is not getting proper oil will seize and die, you don't need a tune to accomplish this.

Last edited by zmoothg; 09-11-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Did you not just read what I said? I have been running the VAP tune since November, (I have never run any other tune), and I experienced the same issues as JVIII (Note: I only experienced these issues when my car was on an uphill incline). Due to JVIII thread I was able to trace the issue back to oil issues as well. Found out my car was a 1 qt under oil. The dealership topped it back up to full and I have not experienced any issues since, but I now watch my oil carefully. I think having a tune and frequent spirited drives results in heavy oil usage by the car. So even though he did have tunes on his car, including VAP, the problems were not directly caused by the tunes, but by oil levels. Any engine that is not getting proper oil will seize and die, you don't need a tune to accomplish this.
As his thread indicated he may well have had a more "aggressive" tune that did you. I concur that low oil could damage ANY engine. You are speculating that the oil depletion is not related to the tune. Others, like myself, see it otherwise. We are all entitled to our own OPINIONS regardless of the other person's perceived validity. The bottom line is that you do NOT "know for a fact" that it was not related to his tune. Your OPINION is that the tune did not contribute. Jaguar's OPINION (because they would not pay for the engine repair/replacement) is that the tune invalidated the warranty and that is all that REALLY matters here. You are entitled to your opinion as am I and the rest of the forum members. Good day (unsubscribed)

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-11-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I don’t believe he ever had a VAP tune on his car; VAP got mentioned in passing with regard to warranties and tunes and evidence of a tune visible to JLR.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
As his thread indicated he may well have had a more "aggressive" tune that did you. I concur that low oil could damage ANY engine. You are speculating that the oil depletion is not related to the tune. Others, like myself, see it otherwise. We are all entitled to our own OPINIONS regardless of the other person's perceived validity. The bottom line is that you do NOT "know for a fact" that it was not related to his tune. Your OPINION is that the tune did not contribute. Jaguar's OPINION (because they would not pay for the engine repair/replacement) is that the tune invalidated the warranty and that is all that REALLY matters here. You are entitled to your opinion as am I and the rest of the forum members. Good day (unsubscribed)
zmoothg, you may want to familiarize yourself with the extensive chronicling of JVIII's issue as relayed on this forum, and not buy into what I perceive as an unfortunate state of denial. The engine problems first started while the car was on the dyno, having the tune tweaked, deinstalled and reinstalled. While there are some holes in the timeline, it appears as though the engine NEVER RECOVERED from that initial event.

I'm no expert, but when the techs from Velocity AP weighed in and diagnosed -- from the facts reported here by JVIII at the time -- that the ECM was most likely nannied into one of its "safe mode" factory protection tunes, due to overheating while on the dyno, their explanation made perfect sense. Yet the person running the dyno and tweaking the supposed aggressive tune (NOT VAP) was apparently unaware of this development, thus he inadvertently tweaked the electronic safety parameters programmed into the ECM by the factory and intended to protect against just such an event.

The whole oil starvation story did not surface till many weeks later, after the vehicle had been left for dead at the dealer for a month or longer. The report from that independent mechanic remains unsubstantiated, and all we have to go on is JVIII's version of whatever that mechanic verbally reported to him.

I am nothing more than a casual outside observer with an interest in the real facts behind what transpired here... In my opinion however, the 2nd hand report from the independent mechanic does not ring as credible. The remote diagnosis from VAP seemed far more plausible and neatly connected the dots of what likely unfolded during the dyno.

Last edited by IronMike; 09-12-2017 at 10:09 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by IronMike:
DPelletier (09-12-2017), ndabunka (09-12-2017), SinF (09-12-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I don’t believe he ever had a VAP tune on his car; VAP got mentioned in passing with regard to warranties and tunes and evidence of a tune visible to JLR.
This is correct. NOT A VELOCITY AP TUNE!
He had a tune installed by a firm called GSR Technik in Irvine, Calif., formerly known as Jailbreak Tuning, who subsequently changed its name for reasons unknown... though firms don't customarily change their name if business is doing well. More indicative of a tuner trying to hide from prior problems.

I should also add that according to one poster here, GSR Technik was where he went to have the VMax tune installed. For those that may not have been around two+ years ago, VMax was one of the first tuners to surface on the F-Type forums, only to disappear a few months later after people started reporting problems with the VMax tune itself, in addition to exhibiting horrid customer service.

Late Add: Just tried to access the GSR Technik website which I had viewed a few months ago when JVIII first brought up this tuners name, and their website is no longer active. not even a generic landing page. Another bad sign in a long list of warnings from the people behind these various companies.

To confirm: Jailbreak Tuning, GSR Technik, and/or VMax are not associated with Velocity AP (aka VAP) in any way, and it would be important that posters not confuse the names of these entities. VAP has proven to by highly credible. The others apparently can't seem to keep their operation going without continuously changing their name. JVIII used one of these less credible tunes.

Last edited by IronMike; 09-12-2017 at 01:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IronMike:
Mulmur (09-12-2017), ndabunka (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 06:48 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

I know nothing of the issues discussed other than what I have read on this forum.

I agree that oil starvation can damage any engine.

I tend to doubt the engine in F Type R (5l V8 supercharged 550ps) has any particular issues in this regard.

My reasons are the engine has been in the F type R for four years plus in other Jaguar models including XKR-S and XKR-S GT to name two before this.

I would expect any issues would have been discovered and documented on the internet, anyone seen any ?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:36 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Just an FYI: I was thinking JVIII wasn't around anymore, but I searched his posts, and found he just posted that his VAP cats and downpipe are for sale, in the For Sale forum.